White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?

chisox2334

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time news gets out that we are about to sign someone, another team swoops in and sweetens the offer and takes the player away. This could just be Ozzie trying to deny a rumor so no one else sweetens the offer for Colon. I think ImpactoDeportivos may have some inside scoop from Colon or his agent and when/if he passes the physical, the signing will be official.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Every time news gets out that we are about to sign someone, another team swoops in and sweetens the offer and takes the player away. This could just be Ozzie trying to deny a rumor so no one else sweetens the offer for Colon. I think ImpactoDeportivos may have some inside scoop from Colon or his agent and when/if he passes the physical, the signing will be official.

same happened with Dotel. We had him then we didnt then we really did.

prolly the same here.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
What is the word out there on the condition of Freddie Garcia? If he was healthy I would have expected Ozzie to claim family ties and go after him instead of Colon.

I believe Freddy isn't projected to be ready until mid-season. Where Bartolo is a potential starter for the beginning of the season. What they should do is sign them both. That way when BC's arm falls off or eats himself out of a job then we plug in Freddy.

QUOTE(yoyozuna @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
I believe Freddy isn't projected to be ready until mid-season. Where Bartolo is a potential starter for the beginning of the season. What they should do is sign them both. That way when BC's arm falls off or eats himself out of a job then we plug in Freddy.

Kind of a starter's version of Shingo to Dustin to Jenks.

from cowley

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen confirmed Wednesday morning that the report from Impactodeportivo.com indicating the club had reached an agreement on pitcher Bartolo Colon is in fact false.

Guillen said that the organization hadn’t even spoken to Colon’s representatives in “weeks,’’ but a team representative said there was more recent dialogue without a deal taking place.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
They edited the original article on chicagotribune.com, leaving the door open for Colon, but saying his signing isn't imminent.

Hope that it's the garage door there leaving open!!!!!! Sorry that was stupid I apologize!

Ozzie's been in Arizona for almost a couple weeks; other than by way of phone or e-mail, he would have no way of communicating with Bartolo at all.

I hope/think this deal is pretty close, and that the initial source, whatever the hell its name is, just jumped the gun a bit. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Colon in White Sox camp within the next 48-72 hours.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
Actually the difference is Colon has proven he can be an ace, I believe that Cy Young would be credential enough. At the time of signing Loaisa, he had a handful of mediocrity. I believe that makes this even less of a risk with a known upsides. I'm not expecting 20 wins or even 15 but it wasn't that lomng ago we had a revolving 5th starter who couldn't get out of the 4th.

I think Dick Allen's point is, how could signing anyone with any kind of upside to a minor league deal (no risk/high potential reward) be dumb? It kinda can't.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
I think Dick Allen's point is, how could signing anyone with any kind of upside to a minor league deal (no risk/high potential reward) be dumb? It kinda can't.

I thought I was agreeing with him and adding that this is even an easier decision that E-Lo was.