White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?

chisox2334

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
If they get rid of Masset for Fatolo, KW has had an offseason to be fired over.

1. Waste money on Uribe

2. Move Garland, a solid #3 SP who is 27 for a 35 y/o SS

3. Drain your already weak minors on a guy who averages .260 with many Ks

4. Then Masset/Floyd gone for Colon.

Ridiculous.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
I'd sooner deal Floyd than Danks if we're going for Roberts.

And very few teams would be willing to give up anything of significant value for Floyd, because he's too much of a wild card. Even we don't know what we have in him. It's entirely possible that 2 months down the road, Floyd could be one of the most valuable guys in baseball as a dominating young pitcher, or he could be DFA'd. So it makes almost no sense to deal Floyd, especially right now.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
That would be a miserable deal. Yippee -- let's trade arguably our brightest young pitcher for a non-elite 30-year old second-baseman just to fill the imaginary hole of not having a "leadoff man".

Lets be realistic here, that award goes to Kyle McCulloch

;)

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
Here's hoping that Floyd looks good in ST then.

No one's trading for Floyd in ST. He's the White Sox's guy right now until he's either DFA'd or earns that rotation spot.

One more thing...if the White Sox were to sign Colon, and then try to move Floyd in response...that pretty much destroys any trade value that those couple good starts last year or a good ST might build. Because why would another team want him if the White Sox think a guy who's arm is about to fall off is a better pitcher?

It's funny. It seemed Kenny wanted to make us a WS caliber team again this year. He gets Linebrink, Dotel, OCab, Swish, Ramirez, Quentin, etc. and planned on getting Hunter and MCab (which failed) as well. If we had ended up with those 2 as WELL as what we have, our offense would be amaziing, and our bullpen would be better but our rotation would still be questionable, and in that case I would have bet on a Wild Card at best. I doubt in his current form Bartolo is going to help much, but at least he's a veteran I suppose.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
One more thing...if the White Sox were to sign Colon, and then try to move Floyd in response...that pretty much destroys any trade value that those couple good starts last year or a good ST might build. Because why would another team want him if the White Sox think a guy who's arm is about to fall off is a better pitcher?

Only as trade bait to get a 2b I'd say.

how can anyone say this is a terrible deal having not seen the terms of the agreement? lets say this is incentive laden 2 mil guaranteed 1 year deal, than i think this is a smart deal to provide some insurance in our shaky back end of the rotation....at least we have options should someone get injured....

this was from keith law's top 50 free agents of the offseason... colon was 22 (dotel was 23 and linebrink 26)....

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/...&id=3107160

Colon pitched the equivalent of less than one full season over the last two years due to a number of injuries to his shoulder and arm. Then he came back in September and looked a lot more like the healthy Bartolo than the hurt Bartolo: four-seamer at 91-94 mph, two-seamer with plus tail at 88-91 and a sharp downer curve at 83-85 mph. He's a short-armer with effort in his delivery, so you'll always hold your breath when he's pitching. He's not headed for a second career in Mr. Universe competitions, but if his shoulder were still bothering him, he probably wouldn't be working with a solid-average fastball that flashes plus. The major caveat with Colon is that he was left off the Angels' ALDS roster due to pain in his right elbow during a preseries workout; he didn't belong on the roster anyway due to the presence of four superior starting pitchers on the roster, but "pain" and "elbow" usually don't spell "five-year contract."

If a team can get Colon on a deal similar to Randy Wolf's -- one year with an option -- it's a fantastic gamble to take. The only starter on this market with better stuff is Andy Pettitte. However, it may take two years because of the number of teams that will likely be after Colon because they'd rather give him two and take a shot at greatness than give Josh Fogg three and take guaranteed mediocrity. Colon might also consider offering to put some weight-limit clauses in his contract because his conditioning has always been an issue.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
No one's trading for Floyd in ST. He's the White Sox's guy right now until he's either DFA'd or earns that rotation spot.

You say he's a wildcard and could get DFA'd. Then talk about signing Colon hurting his trade value. I really don't think he has much trade value, and even if the Sox signed Colon it would be for a low base with a lot of incentives, so there would be no pressure to put Bart in the rotation if he didn't earn it. Floyd still has his chance. If he can't beat out Bart in spring training or Danks can't with as bad as you say Bartolo is, then Danks should be in AAA and Floyd should be pumping gas, and if you feel that signing Bartolo automatically puts him in the rotation and KW and Ozzie will overlook what's best for the team, then you would have to conclude they don't have the White Sox best interests in mind and they should be replaced, something I know you don't feel. What would a little more competition hurt? If Floyd and Danks aren't up for it, why can't they get the Brian Anderson treatment?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
how can anyone say this is a terrible deal having not seen the terms of the agreement? lets say this is incentive laden 2 mil guaranteed 1 year deal, than i think this is a smart deal to provide some insurance in our shaky back end of the rotation....at least we have options should someone get injured....

I'd much rather use Broadway, Egbert, or Sisco as backups for the back end of the rotation. We don't have anyone in the minors who seems like an immediate, Verlander type star, but we have several guys there who have some talent and who might well be able to be solid pitchers for us.

I wouldn't want this team picking up Colon if he were free. I would rather us go with the young guys and try to develop them. If key parts of our rotation falter, then we'll be looking towards the future anyway, and those guys are much better "Future" candidates than Colon.

With Floyd situation, w sox are tough situation as it is. You either sign him to 2-3 yr deal or make him pitch out in rotation. Floyd showed promise as did danks. If Floyd really gets light up what are w sox suppost to do?? We already annointed if colon dosent sign the 4th and 5th starter spot. Masset is in the same boat. You know massett isnt going to be given chance at starting and bullpen seems to me be ovefilled. Another guy is Brian Anderson. He seems be done and wanting out as well. Then theirs Uribe and Crede. Im telling ya Kenny willams got busy month in half.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
Don't you love online translators: "Later than ever, now will be the fruits. "

Seriously...what the hell does that mean?!?

Honestly...what could it hurt bringin in Colon? Doesn't work out....C-ya. Not yer money...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
That would be a miserable deal. Yippee -- let's trade arguably our brightest young pitcher for a non-elite 30-year old second-baseman just to fill the imaginary hole of not having a "leadoff man".

Depends what version of Brian Roberts you're getting.

05 - .314/.387/.515

06 - .286/.347/.410

07 - .290/.377/.432

That OBP would look pretty good at the top of our order (compared to say Cabrera's .320-.330 mark).

If Roberts was guaranteed of putting up a +.825 OPS for us, with about 40-50 SB's a season, that makes him pretty valuable.

But I suppose it also depends on how highly the Sox brass value Danny Richar.

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Could Colon just be an emergency option for Contreras? Maybe since they both have AARP cards, they will switch off starts? I dont see that as a wise financial decision, but maybe Kenny is not worried about the money (see Uribe, Linebrink).

Considering we already have a 12 man bullpen set up, trying something like that would wind up leaving the Sox with a 3 man bench. 2 after Toby Hall.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
3.Danks is 22, and has had one medicore season at AAA. Would it be the worst thing for him to get some work in AAA, work on some things?(Cutter?)

I don't think that's exactly the worst scenario either.

If Floyd outperforms him in ST, and we've got Colon, make Danks pitch at AAA, and be 1st cab off the ranks if we need him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
Considering we already have a 12 man bullpen set up, trying something like that would wind up leaving the Sox with a 3 man bench. 2 after Toby Hall.

Well if that were the case were Colon was here to split time, then a reliever would go to AAA, and the one who is not pitching would maybe come out of the bullpen on that 5th day. Conteras maybe goes 5 innings, and then Colon comes and takes the last 3 before handing the save over to Jenks (Yes, wishful thinking).

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
Well if that were the case were Colon was here to split time, then a reliever would go to AAA, and the one who is not pitching would maybe come out of the bullpen on that 5th day. Conteras maybe goes 5 innings, and then Colon comes and takes the last 3 before handing the save over to Jenks (Yes, wishful thinking).

I think if the Sox do sign Colon, he'll either be in the rotation, on the DL or sent home. That's it.

Signing Colon would be the equivalent to signing El-duque in 2005 IMO. HE came off a couple years of bad injuries but pitched respectable as a 5th starter and won 10 games... When El-duque had his shoulder soreness- McCarthy was ready to come up and pitch. I think Danks being the 6th starter and spending time in triple-a for some seasoning wouldn't be a bad thing.

Im all for this move... its a minor risk worth taking.

This was from a month back;

The winter has not gone well for RHP Bartolo Colon, who is trying to rehab a torn rotator cuff. Colon, 34 and never a picture of health, has thrown just 155.2 innings over the past two years. He apparently did not use any of his rehab time to lose weight, a point of concern for those scouting him in winter league ball. Worse, according to one scout, was his lack of velocity. "We barely had him in the high 80s," the scout says. "If he is not throwing 94, I am not sure where he fits in." . . .

I hope the Sox think he's going to be able to get some of that lost velocity back if they do sign him. Because if he doesn't, well he could get lit up ALA Contreras in 2007.