White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?

chisox2334

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 04:13 AM)
Another thing to keep in mind: The 40 man roster is currently full, someone would have to be dropped in order for this to happen. (assuming it's a major league deal)

No worries that will soon be resolved when the Sox trade Floyd, Uribe, Richar and more for Brian Roberts ;) Hey a man can dream right? haha.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
Im all for this move... its a minor risk worth taking.

Nothing is a minor risk. Everything is the end of the world. Everything is, "when this thing that is a rumor happens, I'm never watching another Sox game again."

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
Nothing is a minor risk. Everything is the end of the world. Everything is, "when this thing that is a rumor happens happened, I'm never watching another Sox game again."

That last part is only if we signed Bonds. Or Clemens now. You can hate a move and still be a fan, I hope.

If the Sox traded for Roberts though, here's how the lineup would look IMHO (it's up for debate, especially the middle of the order, and the #2 spot).

2B - Roberts

SS - Cabrera

CF - Swisher

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko

RF - Dye

C - Pierzynski

3B - Fields

LF - Quentin / Owens

That looks pretty deep anyways.

If this is true and Bart is signed with the intention of being in the rotation. Does the whole Crede to San Fran thing change? Rumors of the Sox supposedly getting Lowry or a Sanchez for him would probably die down. We would then go for 2 prospects or so, which I feel is what we're getting back anyways.

That would be a miserable deal. Yippee -- let's trade arguably our brightest young pitcher for a non-elite 30-year old second-baseman just to fill the imaginary hole of not having a "leadoff man".

Wow. I remember you being all over Roberts when we were discussing signing Iguchi to a longer term deal before the 2007.

Sign me up for Bartolo, he still has to prove himself so nothing's quite a guarantee.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
You can hate a move and still be a fan, I hope.

Of course you can. And my comments were complete sarcasm (if that wasn't clear) in response to the common type of Soxtalk posts that are not only an absurd overreaction.......but an absurd overreaction to something that has not and may never happen.

Anyway, if we trade Konerko to the Cubs for Ryan Dempster and Ernie Banks' bar tab (as I've heard rumored) I will eat my television, then s*** my tv poop into an envelope and mark it, "not buying season tickets," and mail it to Kenny Williams. Because I think that is a not-smart move that I fear Williams will make, which I would not. And I'd like to add that this, then, would have been an offseason over which to fire him.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(BurlyMan56 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
If this is true and Bart is signed with the intention of being in the rotation. Does the whole Crede to San Fran thing change? Rumors of the Sox supposedly getting Lowry or a Sanchez for him would probably die down. We would then go for 2 prospects or so, which I feel is what we're getting back anyways.

The most the Sox would have gotten was Lowry, and it proved not even Sabean was that dumb. The Sox will get a prospect or two for Crede, and these prospects will not be considered world beaters.

rotoworld

Bartolo Colon has reportedly reached a preliminary agreement with the White Sox and is taking a physical.

The White Sox are believed to have offered Colon a one-year deal with a low base salary last month. It didn't interest him at the time, but he probably couldn't do any better after a rather unimpressive showing in winter ball. Colon would compete with John Danks and Gavin Floyd for two spots in the White Sox rotation.Source: Impactodeportivo.com.do

Related: John Danks, Gavin Floyd, White Sox

MTR

White Sox Reach Agreement With Colon?

Impacto Deportivo indicates tonight that the White Sox reached an agreement with starter Bartolo Colon, pending a physical. We'll have to see whether his shoulder passes the test. Impacto Deportivo has a good track record but often jumps the gun, so we may see some semi-rebuttals from the Sox.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
Sounds to me like a low risk move for a guy who has ace stuff... when healthy.

I know he is fat, injured, lazy, etc. but aren't we all.

I think his ace stuff days are gone. But if healthy, he can be a solid #3 starter who can pitch his 4-seamer in the low 90's, his 2-seamer in the upper 80's and command the plate with a solid change-up. How this is a bad deal I don't know? Low risk and high reward. What not to like?

As long as we don't guarantee him a ton of money or a second year, I love this move. It can't hurt.

Colon has never had great off-speed stuff, so if his fastball isn't there, he's going to struggle. He's a reclamation project. He needs to be given time to heal, rehabilitate, and get some velocity back. If that doesn't happen, then at least we didn't risk much.

It's riskier to sit down and believe that you'll get 90 decent starts from the three-headed Floydankontreras monster.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 04:45 AM)
Wow. I remember you being all over Roberts when we were discussing signing Iguchi to a longer term deal before the 2007.

I don't remember this. Do you recall the context in which I said whatever it is that I said?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
That would be a miserable deal. Yippee -- let's trade arguably our brightest young pitcher for a non-elite 30-year old second-baseman just to fill the imaginary hole of not having a "leadoff man".

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)

Sign me up for Bartolo, he still has to prove himself so nothing's quite a guarantee.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 01:28 AM)
I don't remember this. Do you recall the context in which I said whatever it is that I said?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57302

Beat me to it. I just found it.

Then there was the follow up to in this thread:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57597

Well, whoever I criticized for suggesting 3/$15 earlier this winter -- my bad.

Now I'm not trying to "OWN3D!" you, I just thought it was interesting that your view on Roberts changed so much over the year. I'm sure many people share that same opinion of Roberts.

I'd love Roberts; he's a hell of a second basemen and a person I'd like at the top of the order. However, what I take it Keith means is that people find it absolutely necessary that the Sox find a legitimate leadoff hitter, when really the leadoff hitter itself only leads off once, maybe twice a game. The people that want to give up Danks+Richar for Roberts are the people I will disagree with completely.

I also don't feel that Roberts is the final piece of the puzzle, and that the Sox shouldn't trade any of their young depth for a 30 year old second basemen who was mentioned in the Mitchell Report.

If you could pick up Roberts for spare parts, or if the team were in a little better shape both in the minors or at the major league level, I'd be all for it; given the current state of the White Sox, that's just not the case.

on mlb.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox might have finally tracked down Bartolo Colon.

According to a report from Impacto Deportivo, the White Sox have reached a preliminary agreement with the burly right-hander on a one-year deal, pending a physical. No comment came from the team as of late Tuesday night, although there has been previous expressed interest on the White Sox part.

At SoxFest, which took place during the last weekend of January at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, general manager Ken Williams explained how manager Ozzie Guillen traveled to the Dominican Republic to watch Colon pitch and came away impressed enough for the White Sox to make "an incentive-based offer with a low base salary." That deal would increase if Colon pitched to his vast capabilities.

Colon's recruitment took a strange twist, at that point.

"We couldn't find him. His agent couldn't find him," said Williams of Colon, who posted a 15-13 record and a career-high nine complete games during his lone season with the White Sox in 2003. "The offer was designed to get him into the mix and create some competition -- not saying he would get the job. He didn't seem very interested in such a deal."

Apparently, the lack of multiyear interest in Colon around baseball might have changed his mind. Colon last pitched a full season in 2005, when he won the American League Cy Young Award with a 21-8 record and a 3.48 ERA. The White Sox drive to the World Series title in 2005 actually was helped by Colon, who was unavailable to pitch for the Angels in the American League Championship Series due to injury.

Over the past two years, Colon has posted a 7-13 record in 28 starts with a 5.90 ERA. He is battling back from shoulder problems and turns 35 on May 24. He made two starts in the Dominican Winter League.

This deal figures to be of the Minor League variety, with the White Sox 40-man roster currently sitting at 40. The team has been impressed with the way Gavin Floyd has been throwing the ball so far during Spring Training, and John Danks also has earned praise, although neither young talent has been proven over a full season. Both Floyd and reliever/potential fifth starter Nick Masset are out of options.

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Edited by chisox2334

if its a minor league deal then i love it. honestly, nothing could come bad of this. the only situation i see that could be bad is if bartolo does indeed out pitch floyd and seeing as he has no option we trade him and he ends up being a solid pitcher somewhere else. Really if that happens oh well i really think next year either Broadway or Egbert will be in the starting rotation. Best situation we get him into training camp ASAP have him work his ass off and he returns to form, then we have a good 3rd starter whos simply got a minor league deal....the article above says he had 2 starts in the dominican league this year, anyone know the line on those games...could you imagine count and colon pitching like they are able to, with our offense we can make a serious run for the wild card and lets say all the old folk (ordonez, pudge, polanco, rogers, K.jones and shef) in detriot dont play well then we have a serious shot at the division. No doubt this is gonna be an interesting year, i think were the dark horse and i like it.