White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?

chisox2334

From cowely, here we go with bashing of site lol

Colon to the Sox?

TUCSON, Ariz. - According to Impactodeportivo.com, the White Sox have reportedly reached an agreement with pitcher Bartolo Colon on a one-year deal pending the right-hander passing a physical.

One problem, the Sox weren’t indicating any such deal is in place as of late Tuesday night. Does it make sense? Slightly, especially with starters John Danks and Gavin Floyd still unproven over an entire season.

Undoubtedly, more to come on this Wednesday.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance of Colon being used as long relief/spot starter if Floyd/Danks/Masset win the last 2 rotation spots?

That could keep his innings down, keep him rested and lessen the strain on his arm.

I wouldn't mind that at all if Bartolo has anything left in the tank.

QUOTE(Want2Repeat @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 07:22 AM)
Crazy idea - Why not wait until we see everyone pitch in the spring, before rushing to judge the potential signing? Hopefully, four question marks = 3 decent/+ starters. I think there are 1 to 2 more moves to be made before day 1, with Crede likely being one of them.

If we wait to comment until we see everyone pitch, shouldn't we keep waiting until we see who goes North?

Then shouldn't we wait to see how the team starts off?

Then shouldn't we wait to see if they can either keep the early lead or catch up to the leaders?

I don't see the harm in idle speculation - this is a baseball message board, after all.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...-bartolo-colon/

Anatomy of a player: Bartolo Colon

by Josh Kalk

February 05, 2008

Now that the Johan Santana sweepstakes are done and most among the thin group of free agent pitchers have signed, teams still looking for pitching probably are grasping at straws. Recently, Bartolo Colon's name has been linked to several teams including the Royals and Rangers. Colon, who has been pitching in winter ball with mixed results, has struggled the previous two years and hasn't managed either 30 starts or 200 innings in those years combined.

Much has been made of Colon's weight and now, many question if he still can hold up over a season as a 35-year-old. Obviously, this is the most important question teams have to ask when they are pondering whether to sign him. While I don't have particular insight on that, I do want to focus on the second most important question: Does he still have the stuff that made him the 2005 Cy Young?

At first glance, things don't look too good for Colon, who had a 6.34 ERA, a 1.62 WHIP, and a .320 batting average against. But, if you dig a little deeper, those stats are a bit deceiving. Colon's FIP was more than 1.5 lower than his ERA, at 4.81. This was in large part due to his horrendous batting average on balls in play of .364. Some pitchers trend toward a high BABIP, but that isn't the case for Colon who has been right around league average most of his career. Couple that with a weak LOB percentage and you get an ERA over six.

So his FIP wasn't too bad, but what about his other peripherals? Colon's K/9 was 6.83, just a tad under his career mark of 7.03. More importantly, it was a huge bounce back from his 2005 campaign, in which he struck out fewer than five per nine innings. This puts Colon back right near league average. His walk rate rose a bit to 2.63 BB/9, but that is still a good amount lower than league average. These are more encouraging tidbits, but with the addition of PITCHf/x data we can go one step further.

Colon's repertoire includes a four-seam fastball, a two-seam fastball (sinker), a slider and an occasional change-up. His sinker is his bread and butter pitch and he throws that more than the rest of his pitches combined. It tops out in the low 90s, which is a hair better than most but it also doesn't "sink" as much as others (6.88 inches compared to 4.71 inches for league average).

What really sets Colon's sinker apart is the large horizontal movement he gets with the pitch. Compared to a pitch thrown without spin, Colon's sinker moves 8.85 inches in toward a right-handed batter. That is more than an inch better than the league average of 7.62. Colon's four-seamer checks in even better. Last year his average fastball was thrown at 94.75 mph. Many pitchers would kill for a fastball like that. While his slider and change are pretty average pitches, it seems to me that Colon still does have the physical ability to pitch in the big leagues.

The projections (Bill James, CHONE and Marcel) seem to be pretty much in agreement that Colon should be good for a FIP of around 4.50 with only a slight drop in K/9 and his BB/9 staying about the same. The projections, though, are all over the map for Colon's ERA, varying from 4.24 (James) to 5.05 (Marcel) and on his innings pitched, from 70 (James) to 126 (CHONE). Colon's Marcel ERA is inflated by a predicted .333 BABIP, which I feel is too high.

I am going to channel my inner Derek Carty and predict a 4.40 ERA and 120 innings for Colon, which certainly would be useful for many teams. That said, Colon's durability is still a huge question, and if I were a team looking to contend I certainly would not want to be counting on him for a stretch run, much less for the playoffs.

Still, for a team like Kansas City or Texas, he could be an ideal pickup. He should come pretty cheaply and be willing to sign a short-term deal. This could make him a hot item near the trading deadline if he has a good first half.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
If they get rid of Masset for Fatolo, KW has had an offseason to be fired over.

2. Move Garland, a solid #3 SP who is 27 for a 35 y/o SS

Well s***, if you want to lie about things that should make it look even worse.

Garland = 28

Cabrera = 33

that's a -3 on your age discrepancy.

FYI, Ken Rosenthal said that whichever team picks up Bartolo Colon will have a Cy Young contender by May, and he very well could have been the best FA pitcher out there this offseason.

Reports are that he turned the corner recently as well.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
Signing Colon would be the equivalent to signing El-duque in 2005 IMO. HE came off a couple years of bad injuries but pitched respectable as a 5th starter and won 10 games... When El-duque had his shoulder soreness- McCarthy was ready to come up and pitch. I think Danks being the 6th starter and spending time in triple-a for some seasoning wouldn't be a bad thing.

Im all for this move... its a minor risk worth taking.

I couldn't agree more. If they do sign Colon (nowhere do I see this confirmed) I think it's a very smart move.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
FYI, Ken Rosenthal said that whichever team picks up Bartolo Colon will have a Cy Young contender by May, and he very well could have been the best FA pitcher out there this offseason.

Reports are that he turned the corner recently as well.

just watched soem highlights of him last year on mlb.com...he certainly showed flashes toward the end of the year, and i can certainly say this....his two seamer moves as much as anyones outside of greg maddux

Its a lottery ticket. Nothing more, nothing less. If he pitches really well, the Sox hit it big. Think about a rotation of a 2004/5 Colon, Buehrle, and Vasquez. If we get any bounce back from Contreras, that is as good of a rotation as exists in baseball.

If he fails, or is still hurt, we fall back to the kids, just like we were going to do anyway.

from AOL Sports

full article

If it is true, it will be Colon's second tour of duty with the White Sox where he spent the 2003 season and put up a record of 15-13 while eating up 243 innings. I like the signing for the White Sox (again, if it's true) because it's a low-risk, high reward type deal.

If Colon doesn't pan out and can't recover from the injuries that have dogged him the last few seasons, who cares? He can't be any worse than Gavin Floyd, right? If Colon does somehow manage to get back to his old form, he might just help the Sox compete in the AL Central and get the south siders back into the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Why do I have the feeling this isn't even true?

its on whitesox.com...."White Sox Reportedly Reach Deal with Colon"...usually if it goes up on their site its legit and probably gonna happen

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)

That's the same report we have seen. Its coming from the same source. Even if true it is pending a physical, and from the reports earlier Bart passing a physical is about as likely as Amy Winehouse passing a drug test. I think this is a great move if White Sox doctors think his arm is good enough to make it through the seasom. Worst case scenerio is he's a flame out and you send him home and the Sox are out half of a Toby Hall salary.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 08:16 AM)
The people who think signing Colon to a low base salary with a lot of incentives is stupid, must have also felt signing Esteban Loaisa in 2003 to a minor league contract was equally as dumb. You never know, lightening may strike twice.

Actually the difference is Colon has proven he can be an ace, I believe that Cy Young would be credential enough. At the time of signing Loaisa, he had a handful of mediocrity. I believe that makes this even less of a risk with a known upsides. I'm not expecting 20 wins or even 15 but it wasn't that lomng ago we had a revolving 5th starter who couldn't get out of the 4th.

Colon report shot down

By Mark Gonzales - 9:49 a.m.

TUCSON, Ariz. - Manager Ozzie Guillen shot down a report that the White Sox were on the verge of signing free agent pitcher Bartolo Colon.

According to Dominican site Impactodeportivo.com.do, Colon is close to finalizing a contract with the White Sox. The media outlet states that the pitcher needs only to pass a physical examination.

Guillen, who met earlier Wednesday morning with assistant general manager Rick Hahn, said the Sox hadn't spoken with representatives for Colon in several weeks.

too bad. i liked it.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
too bad. i liked it.

+1 It would've been very low-risk, with the potential to pay high dividends.

Amazing how bad information can get spread all the way up to whitesox.com.