White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?

chisox2334

From whitesox.com...

White Sox mum on Colon contract talks

Club neither confirming nor denying reports of one-year pact

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- General manager Ken Williams would not confirm Tuesday night's online report that the White Sox had reached a preliminary agreement with burly right-hander Bartolo Colon on a one-year deal.

Then again, Williams did not dismiss the report either.

In Williams' mind, the best way to combat the proliferation of unsubstantiated rumors is through a standard "No comment."

"I told you guys, all the rumors and all the things that kind of surface, they start to take up a large, large portion of my day," said Williams, speaking minutes before the team's Spring Training workout began on Wednesday. "With all of the things that come out of the Internet, out of talk radio, out of blogs, all of that stuff, and I'm just not going to continue to make a habit of confirming or denying anything.

"Even though, believe me, there are times, and this is one of them, where I really want to say what I feel," Williams added.

Williams was asked if he had talked to Colon since speaking of him directly during a Town Hall meeting at SoxFest in late January. Williams would not budge from his initial explanation, however. Although manager Ozzie Guillen said the team hadn't spoken to Colon's camps in weeks, denying the rumor, a team representative said there had been recent conversation between the two sides, but that the talks did not mean any deal was imminent.

According to the translation of a report from Impacto Deportivo published Tuesday, Colon's agreement to return to the White Sox simply was pending a physical. The announcement seemed to contrast Williams' explanation given concerning Colon in front of a throng of anxious White Sox fans at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago.

Guillen had traveled to the Dominican Republic to watch Colon pitch and came away impressed enough for the White Sox to make "an incentive-based offer, with a low-base salary," according to Williams. That deal would increase if Colon pitched to his vast capabilities.

Colon's recruitment took a strange twist, at that point.

Spring Training

News and features:

• White Sox mum on Colon talks

• Buehrle wealthy where it really matters

• Swisher brings love of game to Sox camp

• White Sox notes: Crede expands on surgery

• No more Mr. Nice Guy: Thome reports

• White Sox notes: Rotation a delicate operation

Multimedia:

• Swisher ready for new opportunity 400K

• Guillen on Swisher's likely role 400K

• Thome talks about '08 goals 400K

• Williams looking past 2007 400K

• Linebrink on camp with new club 400K

• Fields excited to compete 400K

Spring Training info:

• MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

"We couldn't find him -- his agent couldn't find him," said Williams during his SoxFest talk centering on Colon, who posted a 15-13 record and a career-high nine complete games during his lone season with the White Sox in 2003. "The offer was designed to get him into the mix and create some competition -- not saying he would get the job. He didn't seem very interested in such a deal."

Maybe the lack of multiyear interest in Colon around baseball might have changed his mind. Colon last pitched a full season in 2005, when he won the American League Cy Young Award with a 21-8 record and a 3.48 ERA. The White Sox drive to the World Series title in 2005 actually was helped by Colon, who was unavailable to pitch for the Angels in the ALCS due to a right shoulder injury.

Over the past two years, Colon has posted a 7-13 record in 28 total starts with a 5.90 ERA. He is battling back from shoulder problems and turns 35 on May 24. He made two starts in the Dominican Winter League.

If this deal takes place, it figures to be of the Minor League variety, with the White Sox 40-man roster currently sitting at 40. Both Gavin Floyd and reliever/potential fifth starter candidate Nick Masset are out of options.

When pressed a little further concerning his starting pitching, Williams would support one important point. He's very satisfied with the group he currently has in place.

"Actually, yes -- I like the way Gavin is throwing the ball," Williams said. "[John] Danks is throwing the ball very well. These are side days and the pitching coaches put more stock in the side days than I do. But it's nice to see some of the guys who have worked on some of the things we sent them home to work on."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russians are on to Kenny

http://newsfromrussia.com/news/sports/20-0...Bartolo_Colon-0

Bartolo Colon, a Major League Baseball pitcher, may come back to the White Sox.

Bartolo Colon is still in question for Chicago White S

Rolls-Royce Phantom Coupe

More...

This information became available thanks to Dominican site Impactodeportivo.com.do, where it was stated that the pitcher would soon sign a contract with the Major League baseball team. The only handicap for now is a physical examination Colon is due to pass.

The managing staff does not give any definite comment upon the situation, not excluding the possibility of signing a new contract with the player, but making it clear that they have other candidates – John Danks and Gavin Floyd as starting pitchers.

Just before the 2003 season, Colon was traded to the Chicago White Sox as part of a three-team deal, including the New York Yankees. He finished 2003 with a 15-13 record.

He won the American League Cy Young Award with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2005.

Photo: homerderby.com

Read sensational news stories

What Kenny really wanted to say...

[using Kenny Williams to English translator]

Some f***ing b****es planted this story out there because they wanted, to get Bartolo more money. We were trying to get him on the down low, aka the cheap, before anyone else was on to us, and a bidding war happened. I am scared to death about running Contreras, Floyd, and Danks out there, and even the chance that Colon could be good is worth it to me, but these stupid b****es gave it away. I hate you all.

[/translator]

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
What Kenny really wanted to say...

[using Kenny Williams to English translator]

Some f***ing b****es planted this story out there because they wanted, to get Bartolo more money. We were trying to get him on the down low, aka the cheap, before anyone else was on to us, and a bidding war happened. I am scared to death about running Contreras, Floyd, and Danks out there, and even the chance that Colon could be good is worth it to me, but these stupid b****es gave it away. I hate you all.

[/translator]

That's a good translator!

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
I don't know if I really like this deal if it works out. Bartolo has the ability to be dominate on the mound only if he is healthy. I still think we should have delt Crede to the Giants for Noah Lowry.

Gotta trade Crede for some solid prospect(s) when you can. Need to rebuild things down there, big time.

I honestly wouldnt want to trade Crede for a #3 vet rotation guy. I think we have a better chance of getting a better-than-expected performance from Danks or Floyd or Count

I think you maximize Crede the asset by giving him to a contender who needs a 3B - and has real prospects to deal.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
I don't know if I really like this deal if it works out. Bartolo has the ability to be dominate on the mound only if he is healthy. I still think we should have delt Crede to the Giants for Noah Lowry.

The Giants would not and will not deal Lowry for Crede; Lowry actually has value, while Crede has virtually none. There was a time when that idea was thought to be possible, but it has proven to be impossible.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
The Giants would not and will not deal Lowry for Crede; Lowry actually has value, while Crede has virtually none. There was a time when that idea was thought to be possible, but it has proven to be impossible.

I disagree, Crede doesn't have much value NOW. But once spring games start...he will.

hear colons agent say this report is false.

Also, Seeing how Kenny declining comment here. How come when fans asked at soxfest he was so open to say that they offered but couldn't find colons agent whatever else that happened after they offered it.

Edited by chisox2334

If the Sox can bring Colon in here with an incentive-laden deal, I say, why not at this point? It is evident that so many of those pitchers left in Free Agency are not going to get the contracts that they so desire, so I'd take a flier on a pitcher like Colon. 1 year at 1.5-3 million isn't going to hurt all that much---but I would be curious if it would be worth the 40-man roster slot investment. That is my only concern (other than back and weight problems.)

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I disagree, Crede doesn't have much value NOW. But once spring games start...he will.

I read that and it makes sense. but then I keep thinking of Mags. He was barely walking when he signed that Tiger contract.

Updated article from cowley

TUCSON, Ariz. — Ozzie Guillen had no problem addressing the 800-pound gorilla in the room.

Or at least the 300-pound pitcher.

So when Guillen was asked about the Tuesday night report from Impactodeportivo.com that the White Sox had reached an agreement with free-agent right-hander Bartolo Colon on a one-year deal, the manager was his usual honest self.

‘‘Nothing is going on,’’ Guillen said after the team’s workout Wednesday. ‘‘If we try to get somebody else, I don’t think [there will be enough time] to be ready to go. And Colon’s situation, there’s nothing there. I went to see him [last month], I liked what I saw. Besides that, there’s nothing we can talk about.

‘‘Right now, we don’t know anything. Maybe later on.’’

It’s that ‘‘later on’’ that could leave the door a bit cracked.

Colon was throwing only 90 mph when Guillen saw him, and that was on a good day. Shoulder problems limited the 2005 Cy Young Award winner to 10 starts in 2006 and 18 last season with the Los Angeles Angels.

With Mark Buehrle, Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras entrenched in the rotation and the Sox sold on youngsters John Danks and Gavin Floyd, Colon wouldn’t seem like a fit right now but could be an insurance policy.

General manager Ken Williams was sticking to his ‘‘no comment’’ policy when it comes to trade rumors or Internet reports.

‘‘All the rumors and all the things that surface, they start to take up a large portion of my day,’’ Williams said. ‘‘I’m just not going to continue to make a habit of confirming or denying anything

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
I read that and it makes sense. but then I keep thinking of Mags. He was barely walking when he signed that Tiger contract.

There's also a difference between a free agent with the best agent in the game and a player who is under contract for this season with the best agent in the game, when, in the case of Joe Crede, the agent means absolutely nothing other than the fact that he's not likely to sign a long-term deal. Crede's trade value is garbage right now and likely will remain so until opening day.

more from impacto

This web site published that Bartolo Colon is on the verge of signing with the Chicago White Sox.

As entrusted Impactodeportivo.com.do, was discussing the physical part of Columbus.

MLB.com said Wednesday that the note is neither confirmed nor denied by the White Sox.

They maintain interest in Columbus, but did not want to release more garments.

. MLB in English gave credit to Impactodeportivo.com.do.

The days to come will speak.

Aaron Rowand admits he is biased, but he believes third baseman Joe Crede would be a tremendous fit with the San Francisco Giants. And he knows the front office is thinking hard about acquiring his former Chicago White Sox teammate the San Jose Mercury News reported.

That's because Giants officials asked Rowand to provide a character reference. Crede, 29, is coming off an injury-shortened, 47-game season and had surgery to alleviate a herniated disk in June. He reported to White Sox camp proclaiming to be healthy, and the Giants will monitor him closely this spring. Expendable because of the emergence of Josh Fields at third, Crede hit 30 home runs and drove in 94 runs in 2006."They inquired and asked about what kind of guy he is," Rowand said. "They obviously know what he can do as a baseball player."

Source: San Jose Mercury News

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Why is that exactly? Because Joe will be able to hit off pitchers who will spend most of their time in AA and AAA? People are over estimating the value of ST. Even if Joe has a great two weeks to start of March, who is to say his back will hold up in July?

Crede will have value in June if he hits reasonably well in April and May and doesn't suffer any physical setbacks. Until then, his value will be pretty limited.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
We are trying to sign Columbus now? I am the only one who thinks he might be a little, well, old?

Hey, as long as he can "discover" a 98MPH fastball, I say sign the old f***.

"Now pitching for the White Sox...............number 1492.............Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiissssssssssssss Colummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbussssssssss!!!!"

QUOTE(WCSox @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
Crede will have value in June if he hits reasonably well in April and May and doesn't suffer any physical setbacks. Until then, his value will be pretty limited.

Crede will have value in Spring training. Everyone knows what type of player he is. In ST the GMs and scouts will only look to see if he has changed his swing or fielding mechanics due to the back problems/surgery. They don't care if he is hitting against AA or MLB pitchers. They know what he can do and will only look to see if his mechanics have changed during live pitching.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Hey, as long as he can "discover" a 98MPH fastball, I say sign the old f***.

"Now pitching for the White Sox...............number 1492.............Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiissssssssssssss Colummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbussssssssss!!!!"

And on the bright side, Contreras would have someone his own age to hang out with...