White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?

chisox2334

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 06:42 AM)
Beat me to it. I just found it.

Then there was the follow up to in this thread:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57597

Now I'm not trying to "OWN3D!" you, I just thought it was interesting that your view on Roberts changed so much over the year. I'm sure many people share that same opinion of Roberts.

I think the two topics -- trading Danks + (whatever) for Roberts and the Roberts contract -- independent of each other. I like Roberts and think he's a better ballplayer than Iguchi -- better baserunner, better defensively and better offensively. I wouldn't want the Sox, however, to trade Danks for him. That'd strike me as an extremely short-sighted move. It would strike me as basically giving up on Danks after one year. Furthermore, while I do recognize that Roberts is a decent player, I don't think he can be considered an *elite* second-baseman. And he's 30 -- second-baseman after that age tend to fall and fall hard (not necessarily at age 30 -- I'm pretty sure you know what I mean).

And the reasoning behind getting Roberts is something that irks me -- that we need to acquire a "leadoff hitter". I still find that notion completely ridiculous.

One thing I ended up being right about (broken clock?) was Iguchi:

If Iguchi's agent asked for three years at $5 million per, I'm fairly certain that David Hahn or Kenny Williams would walk out of the room laughing.

3/$4 seems more reasonable, but even that might be a little high.

The market for average-ish middle infielders just doesn't appear to be very good. Did anyone who plays SS/2B really cash in this winter, other than Castillo? Heck, did Iguchi even up with one year, $4 million? Or was it less than that?

Edited by CWSGuy406

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic