Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
Massive risk, but we have argubly the best off the field program to keep people like him in line e.g TO and Tank Johnson.

Having a CB group of Jones (if re-instated), Newman, Henry and probably a 1st round choice in Talib or Cason is going to be pretty good.

How in the world are TO and Tank Johnson similar?

The Dolphins just traded their 4th round pick to the Cowboys for Akin Ayodele and Anthony Fasano

2 starters for a 4th round pick, ill take it

Hopefully this means they are gonna find someone to take Jason Taylor for a 2nd and 4th.. if they can get that done tomorrow itll be a nice day

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
But he's still a genius right?

Aren't you the Steelers fan? Your organization took the classy, honest approach and came out to say that the tapes had no effect on the games. And yes, Belichick is still a genius.

--

One of the more insightful articles was this one:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...ulating_bitter/

If Walsh's tapes show only that the Patriots previously broke NFL rules by recording opponents' signals, the evidence would do little more than corroborate what Belichick already has acknowledged to Goodell - that he approved such taping from the time he joined the team in 2000, believing he was not violating the spirit of the rules (a position Goodell rejected). But if Walsh possesses a tape of the Rams' final preparations before the 2002 Super Bowl, it would be far more damaging and leave Belichick and the Patriots vulnerable to more severe sanctions.

Seems like that is the case.

Is this anything we didn't already know? Maybe Belichick gets suspended, but that's why they brought in Capers. I would hope he doesn't get suspended for this, but if the NFL wants to punish New England further just for the sake of it then that's their right. All I know is Walsh is a creep who seemingly has no new information. One of my favorite articles about him is the one previously linked, and this part especially:

After high school, Walsh worked a summer as a cart boy at his neighborhood course, Twin Hills Country Club, before he enrolled at Springfield College. He played one year of intercollegiate golf, establishing himself as the fourth best player on the team, before a disturbing incident in his dorm room in 1995.

According to the alleged victim, a woman who was dating Walsh's roommate, Walsh was so miffed that she and his roommate might spend time on his bed while he was away that he booby-trapped his sheets with a stainless steel, six-pronged blender blade.

The woman, whose account was corroborated by Walsh's former roommate, said she vividly recalls being startled and slightly injured when she sat on the knife-sharp object. She said the episode forever changed her view of Walsh, whom she had known since high school and Walsh's roommate had considered his best friend since childhood.

The campus police and dean of students were alerted, and though no charges were filed, Walsh soon was dismissed from the golf team.

"It was a very malicious act," the woman said. "The fact that someone you considered a friend would do something that could possibly harm you like that is very creepy."

His collegiate golf career scuttled, Walsh began to focus on football.

That this whole story is still going on is outrageous.

When Belichick is asked about being a genius he politely demurrs that he coaches football for a living. Is he a football genius? Yeah, I'd say so. There's a book written by one of America's best historians about that. So, you dispute that he's a genius. Well, that's your opinion, and you should keep it. I don't know what to say to that. I already know how you feel about Belichick, and I have nothing to say about it. You keep Lovie Smith. Edit: I just mean we're all entitled to our opiniomns and I have no interest in convincing anyone that Belichick's X or Y or Z. I mean, that's up to you all to figure out for yourselves.

The other point is that Walsh is bitter, creepy and has very little up his sleeve besides what we already knew. He just wants the attention.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 7, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
When Belichick is asked about being a genius he politely demurrs that he coaches football for a living. Is he a football genius? Yeah, I'd say so. There's a book written by one of America's best historians about that. So, you dispute that he's a genius. Well, that's your opinion, and you should keep it. I don't know what to say to that. I already know how you feel about Belichick, and I have nothing to say about it. You keep Lovie Smith. Edit: I just mean we're all entitled to our opiniomns and I have no interest in convincing anyone that Belichick's X or Y or Z. I mean, that's up to you all to figure out for yourselves.

The other point is that Walsh is bitter, creepy and has very little up his sleeve besides what we already knew. He just wants the attention.

Are you saying I think Lovie Smith is a genius?

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 8, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
Belichick has apologized to his fellow coaches and the league and he has been punished. I don't see any reason to defend him at this time. Suffice it to say, I don't think "Spygate" is a big deal, and it's just about over.

Agreed. I'm sure every franchise is the NFL was doing this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)
Agreed. I'm sure every franchise is the NFL was doing this.

And what if they weren't?

2 of the 3 guys who made a run at 60 home runs in 1998 were juicing. Does that mean we should assume the 3rd was also?

And furthermore...there's an old adage that "The coverup is worse than the crime". Belicheck lost a draft pick, apologized to everyone else, etc...but for a moment, let's say he told the NFL Commish that the Jets were the only team who's signals he videotaped. Suddenly video shows up that proves he's taped many other teams beforehand. Doesn't that fundamentally change things, if he's going to lie to the commish?

I was just messing with you Pratt. I don't think the actual tapes themselves had much of an effect on the games. Especially in the Steelers 02 AFCC game. Kordell Stewart was at the helm and a retarded mule could steal signals when he was in the game.

I think the bigger concern is the coverup of the tapes. The Patriots have had many chances to come out and own up to the other tapes that have been created, especially since the earliest hints from Walsh. But instead they chose to sit on it and hope Walsh was bluffing. Now I think the NFL HAS to punish the Patriots again for their lack of forthcoming as well as the extra tapes.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 8, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
I was just messing with you Pratt. I don't think the actual tapes themselves had much of an effect on the games. Especially in the Steelers 02 AFCC game. Kordell Stewart was at the helm and a retarded mule could steal signals when he was in the game.

I think the bigger concern is the coverup of the tapes. The Patriots have had many chances to come out and own up to the other tapes that have been created, especially since the earliest hints from Walsh. But instead they chose to sit on it and hope Walsh was bluffing. Now I think the NFL HAS to punish the Patriots again for their lack of forthcoming as well as the extra tapes.

And if they did cover up the presence of these other tapes and lie about it to the commish, I think the punishment has to be more severe for this one than for the last one.