Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
And what if they weren't?

2 of the 3 guys who made a run at 60 home runs in 1998 were juicing. Does that mean we should assume the 3rd was also?

And furthermore...there's an old adage that "The coverup is worse than the crime". Belicheck lost a draft pick, apologized to everyone else, etc...but for a moment, let's say he told the NFL Commish that the Jets were the only team who's signals he videotaped. Suddenly video shows up that proves he's taped many other teams beforehand. Doesn't that fundamentally change things, if he's going to lie to the commish?

Belichick told Goodell he'd been doing it from the beginning. I doubt he said, "I was only taping the Jets." In fact, the League put out a statement saying that what Walsh has given them isn't new. And that's really all this is.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Belichick told Goodell he'd been doing it from the beginning. I doubt he said, "I was only taping the Jets." In fact, the League put out a statement saying that what Walsh has given them isn't new. And that's really all this is.

And I said this is what the league would do as soon as it came out that Goodell destroyed the tapes. Any "new" evidence he would claim to have already seen and destroyed.

It is impossible to prove anything because Goodell already covered it up.

Hence why Arlen Spectorm, an ex district attorney who knows how you are supposed to handle evidence in an investigation, was questioning why he destroyed it.

The only reason you destroy evidence is to cover it up.

Whats done is done, Goodell cares more about players who are going to strip clubs off the field than he does about cheating on the field.

Thats his legacy.

Edited by Soxbadger

Definitely seems like there are more recorded signals within this set of tapes.

From Day 1 of the Spygate saga in September, the controversy over New England's illicit videotaping practices has centered on the Patriots' efforts to steal their opponents' defensive signals. But the tapes delivered via FedEx to NFL headquarters in New York on Thursday morning also include evidence of an effort by New England to steal offensive signals, which would broaden the extent of the team's surveillance operation.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and staff members began viewing the eight tapes within hours of their long-awaited delivery, in anticipation of Tuesday's scheduled interview with former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh. As part of an indemnification pact reached last month with the league, Walsh agreed to turn over any videotapes or related materials he had from his tenure with the team.

Perhaps the surprise entry on the list of videotaping documents Walsh turned over to the league was tape No. 3, labeled "OFF Signals" from New England's game against the Miami Dolphins on Oct. 7, 2001. That is the only tape labeled as such on a copy of the list obtained by ESPN.com. Walsh's attorney, Michael Levy, confirmed it was the lone footage in Walsh's possession of offensive coaches' signaling from the sidelines.

"[it] contains shots of Miami's offensive coaches signaling Miami's offensive players, followed by a shot from the end zone camera of Miami's offensive play, followed by a shot of Miami's offensive coaches signaling Miami's offensive players for the next play, then edited to be followed by a shot of the subsequent Miami offensive play," Levy said of the tape. "And that pattern repeats throughout the entire tape, with occasional cuts to the scoreboard."

Guess losing to Kristy Yamaguchi put him in a bad mood.

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano revealed Wednesday that Jason Taylor will not attend any offseason workouts, including training camp.

"I know Jason Taylor will not be attending any OTAs," Sparano said. "I know he will not be at any of our minicamps. And I know he will not be at training camp." Taylor's agent informed the team of this after he requested a trade. It's no secret that Taylor wants out, but rarely are coaches so revealing. There's no way the Dolphins are counting on Taylor to be part of the 2008 team. May. 21 - 1:54 pm et

• 2 weeks later...

That was quick....

The Raiders have signed first-round pick Darren McFadden, the team announced Thursday night.

Contract terms were not disclosed, but it's believed to be for six years and $60 million, with $26 million guaranteed. McFadden's contract represents a 40 percent increase in guaranteed money over last year's fourth overall pick, Gaines Adams. The Raiders will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. ET today to formally announce the deal. Jun. 6 - 8:13 am et

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
That was quick....

The Raiders have signed first-round pick Darren McFadden, the team announced Thursday night.

Contract terms were not disclosed, but it's believed to be for six years and $60 million, with $26 million guaranteed. McFadden's contract represents a 40 percent increase in guaranteed money over last year's fourth overall pick, Gaines Adams. The Raiders will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. ET today to formally announce the deal. Jun. 6 - 8:13 am et

Whoa.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 07:03 AM)
That was quick....

Hopefully that sets the stage for quick first round signs, as the top two picks are in the fold.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 07:03 AM)
That was quick....

As a Raider fan this makes me quite happy.

Scary rotoworld note:

Fox 5 Las Vegas reports that Raiders WR Javon Walker was found unconscious with an "orbital fracture" on Flamingo Boulevard just off the Las Vegas strip early Monday morning.

We caution that no other source has reported the news yet. Police reportedly don't know how he got the fracture, but he was listed in fair condition at an area hospital Monday. The Las Vegas Review Journal spotted Walker Saturday night at the Wynn spraying Dom Perignon Rose champagne he ordered. Jun. 16 - 8:28 pm et

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
Sounds like another athlete flashing his wealth at the wrong place, you would of thought that he would of learned something after the incident in Denver.

My thoughts exactly. The guy is a walking disaster. I'm so glad he isn't on the Pack anymore.

I guess his Wonderlic translated well to his stupidity outside of football as well.