Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the media all over Favre's schlong...the Jets narrowly escape defeat of a terrible but rising Miami team while the Bills thrash the living s*** out of the favorite in the NFC West. But no, if any team is going to get a boost from Brady's injury, it's the Jets...riiiiiiight.

FWIW, I still don't see any way that the Pats lose the division, other than a couple more injuries. They are still way, way too talented and as well coached as any team in the NFL.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
Was at the game- it was unbelieveable.

Forte is a special player and I loved the pick (either wanted him or Brohm), Orton was good, the DL was relentless, and the OL was giving Forte craters to run through. I feel damn good about this team moving forward.

Good blocking from the o-line for once, but Forte and also Kevin Jones, have better vision for those hole than Benson had. Also Forte has that burst once he gets through the hole that the last hmmm 5 or so RB's we've had havent possessed.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 06:17 AM)
Hilarious rundown of the game by deadspin

http://deadspin.com/5046506/sunday-night-f...all-bears+colts

8:33 — Fun fact: The Sunday Night Is Football Night song was performed in Matt Forte. The new Bears running back makes his debut carry. It's very meh, which means it's like Cedric Benson never left.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 01:24 AM)
I love the media all over Favre's schlong...the Jets narrowly escape defeat of a terrible but rising Miami team while the Bills thrash the living s*** out of the favorite in the NFC West. But no, if any team is going to get a boost from Brady's injury, it's the Jets...riiiiiiight.

FWIW, I still don't see any way that the Pats lose the division, other than a couple more injuries. They are still way, way too talented and as well coached as any team in the NFL.

Ummm, no. You might be right that the Bills are better than the Jets (it wouldn't surprise me, the Bills have been slowly but surely improving the last few years), but the Patriots without Brady are just another team. They do have talent yes, but they don't have a quarterback, and you can't win games that way unless you have a DOMINANT defense, and the Patriots don't.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Ummm, no. You might be right that the Bills are better than the Jets (it wouldn't surprise me, the Bills have been slowly but surely improving the last few years), but the Patriots without Brady are just another team. They do have talent yes, but they don't have a quarterback, and you can't win games that way unless you have a DOMINANT defense, and the Patriots don't.

I remember the last time the Patriots lost a franchise QB to injury and plugged in a 6th round 3rd string quarterback into the mix.

It turned out pretty good

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
I remember the last time the Patriots lost a franchise QB to injury and plugged in a 6th round 3rd string quarterback into the mix.

It turned out pretty good

Point taken, but come on, the odds of that happening again are beyond low. Lightning doesn't strike twice, and that's besides the fact that they are planning to start a guy who hasn't started at QB since high school in Matt Cassel. Who knows though, maybe Kevin O'Connell is going to be a good player. I have heard lots of good things about him, but he's still a rookie and rookie QB's for the most part have their problems. I guess they are bringing in Chris Simms too, although I've never thought much of him (although he does have talent). But I just can't see them going too far this season, you can't lose a guy like Brady and recover too often. I guess it's possible they could manufacture 10 or 11 wins and give themselves a shot in that division in the best case senario, but their Super Bowl hopes are over.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Point taken, but come on, the odds of that happening again are beyond low. Lightning doesn't strike twice, and that's besides the fact that they are planning to start a guy who hasn't started at QB since high school in Matt Cassel. Who knows though, maybe Kevin O'Connell is going to be a good player. I have heard lots of good things about him, but he's still a rookie and rookie QB's for the most part have their problems. I guess they are bringing in Chris Simms too, although I've never thought much of him (although he does have talent). But I just can't see them going too far this season, you can't lose a guy like Brady and recover too often. I guess it's possible they could manufacture 10 or 11 wins and give themselves a shot in that division in the best case senario, but their Super Bowl hopes are over.

You never know about your backups until they are forced into playing time. Cassel has one heck of an offense to work with, and plenty of protection on the line. Sure, the super bowl hopes may be gone, but I dont think their season is over by a long shot.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)

I think they are also overlooking the fact that Miami barely even qualifies as an NFL team as well.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
Watching this Monday night game makes me feel a lot better about the Bears chances in the NFL north this year.

There is about 11 penalties already, and its the 2nd quarter with 10:27 left

I think the North is one of the most overrated conferences in the NFL. Anyone can win it, except the Lions. Im on record predicting the Bears to win it and Im sticking to it.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
According to CNBC, it is estimated $150 million of fantasy prize money that would have been won, will be lost by owners who drafted Tom Brady.

I liked the numbers last year on how much money was won or lost by Westrbrook falling on the 1 yard line at the end of last season.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
I think the North is one of the most overrated conferences in the NFL. Anyone can win it, except the Lions. Im on record predicting the Bears to win it and Im sticking to it.

How's the conference overrated? Nobody really thinks highly of it. Or do you mean the teams expected to contend (Vikings, Packers) themselves are overrated? Cuz there, I'd agree.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
How's the conference overrated? Nobody really thinks highly of it. Or do you mean the teams expected to contend (Vikings, Packers) themselves are overrated? Cuz there, I'd agree.

I disagree, I think it is one of the most underrated with the bears and vikings improved and green bay being still a 10-12 win team. I think it should be a very competitive division and interesting til the end of the season.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
I disagree, I think it is one of the most underrated with the bears and vikings improved and green bay being still a 10-12 win team. I think it should be a very competitive division and interesting til the end of the season.

People are talking Super Bowl for the Vikings, but Tarvaris Jackson still sucks.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)

Ya, basically that. I think Minny and Green Bay got too many media HJ's during the off season.