Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
Big win for the Packers, looked solid.

Rodgers I thought did a really nice job.

GB is still getting penalized a lot like last year, frustrating.

GB looked solid but Jackson gift wrapped that game. He would be third string on the Bears, and thats saying something.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
People are talking Super Bowl for the Vikings, but Tarvaris Jackson still sucks.

I agree that Jackson sucks but a team can get to the Super Bowl with a crappy QB if they have a great defense (which I am not completely convinced the Vikings do) and running game (obviously their running game is ridiculous). I think they are easily a 10 win team if their passing defense steps up.

Also, I think the Pack is a 11 or 12 win team if Rodgers plays even close to how he played today for the rest of the year.

So if the Bears win 8 or more games, that's a very solid division (aside from the dismal Lions who will be lucky to win 5 games)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Ummm, no. You might be right that the Bills are better than the Jets (it wouldn't surprise me, the Bills have been slowly but surely improving the last few years), but the Patriots without Brady are just another team. They do have talent yes, but they don't have a quarterback, and you can't win games that way unless you have a DOMINANT defense, and the Patriots don't.

Solid running backs up and down the roster, one of the best receiving corps in the league, a fantastic offensive line and a defense that's good but not great with big play potential. So long as Cassel can play within the system - and I imagine he can - there still aren't many teams that are better than them. I also think highly of Cassel too, so perhaps I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I think you are being a little overreactionary.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
I think they are also overlooking the fact that Miami barely even qualifies as an NFL team as well.

And this I agree with as well. I will be very interested to see how the Jets play over the next 2-3 weeks because I don't believe it based off of a squeaker against Miami.

And Tavaris Jackson absolutely blows. There's no reason whatsoever he should even have a starting job right now, other than pure politics.

Sweet. I actually got sold by marketing for once and ran to NFL.com when I saw there was a promotion for tonight only. It's 20% off customized stuff.

The customization is really cool, you can choose your shirt color, main logo and add stuff to the sleeves as well. I got myself a navy blue shirt with the orange C centered on the front and OLSEN 82 on the back, as well as an 82 on the left sleeve. Can't wait for that f***in' thing to arrive.

And yes, I probably should have gone with Forte, but you know everyone and their f***ing mother is ordering a Forte at this very moment. Olsen needs some love, and Orton's going to use him lots this season.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
yea but the pack shut down AP in the second half (10 for 30 yards), gotta give them credit there because that's no easy task

It becomes a lot easier when the Vikings passing attack consists of the receiver falling down half way into his route and throwing his hands up in the air in hopes of coaxing a flag.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
Sweet. I actually got sold by marketing for once and ran to NFL.com when I saw there was a promotion for tonight only. It's 20% off customized stuff.

The customization is really cool, you can choose your shirt color, main logo and add stuff to the sleeves as well. I got myself a navy blue shirt with the orange C centered on the front and OLSEN 82 on the back, as well as an 82 on the left sleeve. Can't wait for that f***in' thing to arrive.

And yes, I probably should have gone with Forte, but you know everyone and their f***ing mother is ordering a Forte at this very moment. Olsen needs some love, and Orton's going to use him lots this season.

I got that exact same shirt customized except I got the orange Bears face logo on the sleeve. The big logos fade off after a few washings but theyre worth the price for sure.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
yea but the pack shut down AP in the second half (10 for 30 yards), gotta give them credit there because that's no easy task

Its easier to shut down AP when they cant pass the ball to save your life and have a lead.

Also, Minnys pass defense has actually gotten worse.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 04:41 AM)
Its easier to shut down AP when they cant pass the ball to save your life and have a lead.

Also, Minnys pass defense has actually gotten worse.

don't tell that to the bears who gave up 224 rushing yards to AP in a game last year that tavaris threw for only 136 yards while completing 9 of 23 passes (i.e. no passing game).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
Wow. My Raiders still suck. Maybe next year. :(

Maybe. Most likely when Al Davis isnt allowed to call all of the shots anymore. His personnel decisions since the Oakland-Tampa superbowl have been atrocious

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
Well at least Russell has a giant arm. Fargas looked good. Yeah that about it I think.

McFadden will be good too. I just dont understand throwing all of that money at Tommie Kelly though. He is good, but he isnt as good as Tommie Harris

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
Maybe. Most likely when Al Davis isnt allowed to call all of the shots anymore. His personnel decisions since the Oakland-Tampa superbowl have been atrocious

Al needs to go. I've been saying that even during the Gruden years.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
GB looked solid but Jackson gift wrapped that game. He would be third string on the Bears, and thats saying something.

Jackson has a lot of raw ability. He had to pass way too much in the game and as a result he really struggled. However, he played much better in the 2nd half when he decided to utilize his feet a bit more often. Green Bay looked pretty good. Only real mistakes they made were related to some dumb penalties (which should get cleaned up as the season goes on).

The Packers appear to be the best team in the division, especially with Rodgers looking so efficient.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
Jackson has a lot of raw ability. He had to pass way too much in the game and as a result he really struggled. However, he played much better in the 2nd half when he decided to utilize his feet a bit more often. Green Bay looked pretty good. Only real mistakes they made were related to some dumb penalties (which should get cleaned up as the season goes on).

The Packers appear to be the best team in the division, especially with Rodgers looking so efficient.

I couldnt disagree more. The penalties made in that game by the Packers were absolutely atrocious

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
I couldnt disagree more. The penalties made in that game by the Packers were absolutely atrocious

Its the opening week though, so you expect there to be a few more penalties than usual and the Packers have a solid coaching staff that will get that cleaned up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
Its the opening week though, so you expect there to be a few more penalties than usual and the Packers have a solid coaching staff that will get that cleaned up.

I agree with Jason. The Packers were sloppy, played about their worst game possible and still came out on top. They looked sloppy at the beginning of last season as well and ended up winning 13 games. The team is young and loaded with talent. If Rodgers can play the rest of the season within himself as he did Monday then they will win the division.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
I agree with Jason. The Packers were sloppy, played about their worst game possible and still came out on top. They looked sloppy at the beginning of last season as well and ended up winning 13 games. The team is young and loaded with talent. If Rodgers can play the rest of the season within himself as he did Monday then they will win the division.

doubt it

All depends on Rogers for the Packers.

If he can hold up over the season, they have a better offense than anyone else in that division, and defensively they're pretty good as well.

I still think them and the Vikings (if Jackson can progress over the season) will come out of the NFC North this season.

Odd.

Vince Young had to meet with police Monday night after the Titans feared about his emotional well being.

A concerned friend of Young's called Jeff Fisher after V.Y. left his home suddenly. Fisher contacted the police, who tracked Young down. The Titans say it was much ado about nothing. "He then came to the practice facility where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident." The team issued a statement linked to below. Young's mental health appears to be a major concern for those around him. Sep. 9 - 11:41 am et

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Iam excited about Marcus Harrison with the Bears.He doesnt look to have fundamentally sound technique,but he is a monster when that ball is snapped.

That is exactly why I'm so excited about him. He's just a giant and very quick for a man his size. His one weakness is his technique is very raw, but that is teachable and if he can figure that out, he's going to be a very good player.

As for Vince Young, it sounds like that whole thing was a bit of a misunderstanding. Hopefully that is indeed the case.

Edited by whitesoxfan101