Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

I'm gonna go ahead and interrupt the Bears talk here....

Romo & T.O. were back in form today. Good to get momentum going into Thanksgiving where the 'Boys should handle Seattle. Hopefully it'll be nice to get a nice winning streak going into Pittsburgh.

*raises roof for a cowboys victory*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Angelo doesn't spend cap money just for the sake of doing it when it's there. He isn't "cheap," that's just the battlefield cry of the meathead fans, but he doesn't sign big-name FAs unless he needs them.

I don't see how anybody can call Angelo and the Bears cheap right now. Most of their defense is VERY overpaid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
With virtually everyone already extended...it seems to me this should be a year for the Bears to spend some cap room to fill one of those spots (the Cinci WR's come to Mind)

Housh is an UFA after the year. Boldin might be traded, too.

I want no part of Chad.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
I think Stafford, Harrel, Bradford, Daniel, and McCoy are all legitimate draft prospects. Plus you have the 3rd to 4th round team who’s going to roll the dice on Juice Williams in two years, and the unfortunate soul who’s going to buy into the Tebow’s a pro QB hype. There's some decent talent emerging within the next two years

You laugh at Tebow's pro potential, but then you mention Daniel's pro potential as being legit. :lolhitting

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
I'll take me some Everette Brown, but I think we need O-line in the first round.

Brown is a stud, but I'd prefer Michael Johnson (GT, DE) over Brown in the 1st. I'd take Taylor Mays (USC, S), Johnson, or Duke Robinson (Oklahoma, OG) in the 1st.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Forte entered today averaging 3.8 yards a carry. That will go up after beating on the pathetic Rams, but to compare him to TCQ is laughable. It appears he can join Orton in the overrated pantheon at the moment.

Forte is not overrated. He's averaging 4 ypc now and he's leading all rookies in total yards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
What in the world just happened in Arizona?

They played a better team?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
OG, LB, S, OT, and DE are the biggest needs.

Fixed.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
Housh is an UFA after the year. Boldin might be traded, too.

I want no part of Chad.

You laugh at Tebow's pro potential, but then you mention Daniel's pro potential as being legit. :lolhitting

Brown is a stud, but I'd prefer Michael Johnson (GT, DE) over Brown in the 1st. I'd take Taylor Mays (USC, S), Johnson, or Duke Robinson (Oklahoma, OG) in the 1st.

Forte is not overrated. He's averaging 4 ypc now and he's leading all rookies in total yards.

They played a better team?

Fixed.

I got news for you. The Bears have the worse wide-receiving corps in the NFL, so yes, WR is easily one of there biggest needs. The defensive problems are primarily due to a lack of pass-rush and I'd direct that at the ends, thus making the DE position a huge need. After that I think you'd point towards the oline and safety well before I'd point at the LB corps (Briggs/Urlacher are both above average LB's...Briggs might be the best OLB in football right now).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
Some of them would be overpaid even if they were performing to their capabilities.

Besides Vasher, who? And that's even a reach considering the production the Bears were getting out of Vasher at the time.

Anyone suggesting that it was a mistake to extend Tommie Harris is looking through 20/20 hindsight glasses btw.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
I got news for you. The Bears have the worse wide-receiving corps in the NFL, so yes, WR is easily one of there biggest needs. The defensive problems are primarily due to a lack of pass-rush and I'd direct that at the ends, thus making the DE position a huge need. After that I think you'd point towards the oline and safety well before I'd point at the LB corps (Briggs/Urlacher are both above average LB's...Briggs might be the best OLB in football right now).

IMO Urlacher's problems stem from how he's being used. He's being wasted on pointless fake blitzes.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)

No, I meant through the draft. I fully understand we need to improve the WR position, but through the draft is pointless. We need to go out and sign (Housh) a guy or trade (Boldin) for a guy that we know what we'll get from. We don't have 2-4 years for a WR to progress.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)

Daniels’s main problem is his height. Tebow’s is that as soon as one of his legs gets knocked out from under him, he’s got very little else to rely on. His arm’s average and most of his success relies on a specific set of speedy WRS suited to his type of passing game. Things aren’t going to come as easy for him in the pros.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Daniels’s main problem is his height. Tebow’s is that as soon as one of his legs gets knocked out from under him, he’s got very little else to rely on. His arm’s average and most of his success relies on a specific set of speedy WRS suited to his type of passing game. Things aren’t going to come as easy for him in the pros.

Don't mind the fact that Chase Daniels has Jeremy Maclin, who is one of only 5 receivers in the Big 12 to have 1000+ yards receiving, whereas Florida's top two receivers, Harvin and Murphy, have a combined 1072 receiving yards on the year.

Also don't mind that Tebow has the highest completion percentage, the 4th most yards, the most touchdowns thrown, the best TD/INT ratio, the fewest INT's thrown of QBs with atleast 92 attempts (Tebow has 225, BTW), and the highest QB rating in the conference either, and that's not mentioning anything about his running ability.

I'm not about to say Tebow's worth a top 5, top 15 or even first round pick because Stafford's the best QB prospect in the SEC and arguably the nation, but I'd rate Tebow much higher than I would Chase Daniel.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Don't mind the fact that Chase Daniels has Jeremy Maclin, who is one of only 5 receivers in the Big 12 to have 1000+ yards receiving, whereas Florida's top two receivers, Harvin and Murphy, have a combined 1072 receiving yards on the year.

Also don't mind that Tebow has the highest completion percentage, the 4th most yards, the most touchdowns thrown, the best TD/INT ratio, the fewest INT's thrown of QBs with atleast 92 attempts (Tebow has 225, BTW), and the highest QB rating in the conference either, and that's not mentioning anything about his running ability.

I'm not about to say Tebow's worth a top 5, top 15 or even first round pick because Stafford's the best QB prospect in the SEC and arguably the nation, but I'd rate Tebow much higher than I would Chase Daniel.

You're wrong and you're right..

You're wrong that Tebow would ever be able to be a DECENT QB in the NFL.. there's no way (And im only saying this under the assumption you are talking about him as a QB) His mechanics are all jacked up and hes a one target or run player surrounded by elite talent (in comparison to their opponents)

You're right that Tebow should be rated higher than Daniel because hes what, like 5'11 maybe? He wouldn't be able to cut it in the NFL, Flutie is the only one whose done it.. other than that, small QBs coming from gimmick offenses don't have any place in the NFL. Tebow is still skilled and could be an H Back or TE type player which will definitely get him a more legit shot at the NFL than Chase Daniel has.

Either way, if anyone spends a 1st on Tebow (If he even comes out) and expect to have him play QB that would be one hell of a wasted pick. If they have Matt Jones intentions for him, maybe it wont be so bad..

If Norv Turner isn't one of the worst coaches in the history of the NFL, I'd love to know how he's not. The fact the Chargers did what they did last year just tells you how talented they were, because he couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. The fact they are 4-7 and will be unable to win that trash division is astonishing in my opinion.

The coaching move I refer to by Turner specifically tonight was late in the game though. With 1:30 or so to go, San Diego hits a pass to the 30 but it forces 4th down. Instead of running the clock down before kicking the field goal (or at least making Indy call their last timeout, had they wanted to preserve clock), Turner immediately calls a timeout before San Diego kicked the game tying field goal. So Indy still had 1:30 or so and their timeout, giving them just enough time to get to the 32 or 33, spike the ball with no timeouts and only 2 seconds left, and kick the winner. Maybe the dumbest coaching decision I've seen in football all season long. I am certainly not a Chargers fan, but that offended my football sensibilities.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
How about The Burner Turner today, guys? 120 yards and 4 TD's. Wow. I'm on Atlanta's bandwagon- Ryan is getting it done, the WR's have figured it out, Abraham gets to the QB like no other, and Turner is a monster.

Burner has a shot at being the best NFL player from our school one day (he's certainly carrying my fantasy team). :lolhitting The problem with Atlanta is I still think they are still perhaps only the 3rd best team in the NFC South (game behind Carolina and Tampa Bay, the Falcons home loss to Denver last week was a killer), which might be the real best division in the NFL, although it's close with the East.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
Forte entered today averaging 3.8 yards a carry. That will go up after beating on the pathetic Rams, but to compare him to TCQ is laughable. It appears he can join Orton in the overrated pantheon at the moment.

1. Forte is the Bears Offense. Everyone knows he is getting the ball. It's no secret. Do you realize how much harder it is on someone when they are the focus of every opponents defensive game plan? How did it work out for Marion barber when his qb went down?

2. The Bears OLINE is horrible. Forte is having a great year, despite them.

3. Just for fun, compare LT's rookie year to forte in any category you want. (don't forget receiving yards, you seem to not put that into the equation)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2553 Wow! LT had a lot of fumbles!

4. YPC as a rookie

payton 3.5

Esmith 3.9

LT 3.6

Anthony Thomas 4.3

The places I can go with that example!

5. Checkmate

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
Burner has a shot at being the best NFL player from our school one day (he's certainly carrying my fantasy team). :lolhitting The problem with Atlanta is I still think they are still perhaps only the 3rd best team in the NFC South (game behind Carolina and Tampa Bay, the Falcons home loss to Denver last week was a killer), which might be the real best division in the NFL, although it's close with the East.

no it's not.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
no it's not.

It's not close? That's just wrong. You can certainly say the east is better and be right, but it's quite close. Philadelphia sucks at this point, Washington has a good record, but has looked very beatable and really isn't a great team IMO. Dallas' resurgence could give the east a slight edge at this point, and the Giants are obviously the best team in football, but if you think the east is THAT much better than the south then it's a case of believing what ESPN says.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
1. Forte is the Bears Offense. Everyone knows he is getting the ball. It's no secret. Do you realize how much harder it is on someone when they are the focus of every opponents defensive game plan? How did it work out for Marion barber when his qb went down?

2. The Bears OLINE is horrible. Forte is having a great year, despite them.

3. Just for fun, compare LT's rookie year to forte in any category you want. (don't forget receiving yards, you seem to not put that into the equation)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2553 Wow! LT had a lot of fumbles!

4. YPC as a rookie

payton 3.5

Esmith 3.9

LT 3.6

Anthony Thomas 4.3

The places I can go with that example!

5. Checkmate

You lost me when you compared Forte to LT, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith. Nice try, but that's a case of using hyperboles to the extreme. Forte is obviously having a very good season considering his lack of help, but he's got a ways to go to prove he's an elite player. Versatile yes, good yes, but elite, not yet. He was a great value pick in the 2nd round though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
You lost me when you compared Forte to LT, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith. Nice try though. Forte is obviously having a very good season considering his lack of help, but he's got a ways to go to prove he's an elite player. He was a great value pick in the 2nd round though.

why? Numbers don't lie. So far he is on the same track. Why don't you back up your posts with facts and numbers instead of opinions and speculation?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)
why? Numbers don't lie. So far he is on the same track. Why don't you back up your posts with facts and numbers instead of opinions and speculation?

Because stats through 11 games of an NFL career don't prove or mean a damn thing, as some of the things you yourself posted prove.

Edited by whitesoxfan101