Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
I'm sure that in the great football discussion that takes place across the nation, Peyton Manning will be blamed for the Colts' inability to stop Sproles, as he is always blamed for everything when the Colts lose in the playoffs.

He'd deserve to be blamed for 3 or 4 interceptions if the Chargers defense knew how to catch the ball. But he played a good game. It was an awesome game to watch.

Edited by WilliamTell

I'm sure that in the great football discussion that takes place across the nation, Peyton Manning will be blamed for the Colts' inability to stop Sproles, as he is always blamed for everything when the Colts lose in the playoffs.

He won't. He'll be blamed for the Colts only scoring 17 points. Rivera was prepared today. It would've been only 10 points had that whole substitution debacle not taken place.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
He'd deserve to be blamed for 3 or 4 interceptions if the Chargers defense knew how to catch the ball.

They didn't happen so it's a moot point. His accuracy was off (59% completion rate, could've been better) but they were in a position to win that game and didn't lose because of him. I already see people, even Colts fans, blaming him for getting sacked on the 1 which is silly. I'm sure if he had tried harder (or, "not choked") he could've blocked that guy.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
He won't. He'll be blamed for the Colts only scoring 17 points. Rivera was prepared today. It would've been only 10 points had that whole substitution debacle not taken place.

What if this was Tom Brady with the exact same stat line and results? People would be riding his cock. It's hilarious.

A couple of years ago, when Brady threw a pick to ice a game in the 4th, people were saying "well it was just because of the situation he was in, less than a minute left." I called bulls***, because if that was Manning, the same people would've been saying "hahaha Manning sucks, what a choker!"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
They didn't happen so it's a moot point. His accuracy was off (59% completion rate, could've been better) but they were in a position to win that game and didn't lose because of him. I already see people, even Colts fans, blaming him for getting sacked on the 1 which is silly. I'm sure if he had tried harder (or, "not choked") he could've blocked that guy.

I kind of see it the opposite way of you. I think there will be talk resurfacing about changing the overtime system because Manning didn't get a chance to have the ball based on a simple coin flip.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
I kind of see it the opposite way of you. I think there will be talk resurfacing about changing the overtime system because Manning didn't get a chance to have the ball based on a simple coin flip.

Meh, I don't really want to change the OT system, but I do think there are times where teams win and it's clearly a matter of luck, and I think kicking a long FG is pretty cheesy. But as far as I'm concerned, if your D can't stop the O, your team didn't deserve to win.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
Meh, I don't really want to change the OT system, but I do think there are times where teams win and it's clearly a matter of luck, and I think kicking a long FG is pretty cheesy. But as far as I'm concerned, if your D can't stop the O, your team didn't deserve to win.

It kinda sucked that the defense gave up 3 first downs on penalties as well. That facemask was a killer.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
I hate the asshole, that is, Phillip Rivers.

So do I. He's a smug, arrogant, cocky son of a b**** who thinks he's the f***ing s***. I root against him every time they play. He could learn a thing or two from Peyton about winning and losing with class.

I used to hate Rivers, but he earned my respect last year basically playing with a torn ligament in his knee. I mean really, a lot of QBs are prima donnas. Some just take it to extremes though.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
Oh no, now there cannot be a Manning vs Manning Superbowl! What is ESPN to do? Ohhhhh Nooooooooes!!!!

It'll give them time to focus solely on the Red Sox and Yankees upcoming seasons. After all, the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs are the only baseball teams in Major League Basesball, making it an impressive feat that the Cubs can never get to the World Series even with being the only National League team. Although I've heard talk about this other National League team called the Mets, so who knows.

Well Manning should take some blame for last night, he didn't have a great game and San Diego dropped at least 3 interceptions to boot. The Chargers, between the dropped picks, Sproles fumble at the 2, the horrible interception by Rivers, and the nap they took on the long TD, really blew a boatload of chances to win that game comfortably. The fact that they won despite all of those mistakes just shows how talented they are though, and really how shocking it is they started 4-8 this year. The Chargers punter should get some props too though, the Chargers don't overcome all of their gaffes if he doesn't have the game of his life and put Indianapolis on a long field all night. It was as entertaining a game as I saw all season.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Well Manning should take some blame for last night, he didn't have a great game and San Diego dropped at least 3 interceptions to boot. The Chargers, between the dropped picks, Sproles fumble at the 2, the horrible interception by Rivers, and the nap they took on the long TD, really blew a boatload of chances to win that game comfortably. The fact that they won despite all of those mistakes just shows how talented they are though, and really how shocking it is they started 4-8 this year. The Chargers punter should get some props too though, the Chargers don't overcome all of their gaffes if he doesn't have the game of his life and put Indianapolis on a long field all night. It was as entertaining a game as I saw all season.

He had over 300 yards and a TD (and no interceptions, dropped INTs don't count for anything but an incomplete pass), seriously, what the hell do people expect from Manning? He's so good that when he doesn't appear to be immortal, people think he sucks and blame him for not putting on an epic, historic performance.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
He had over 300 yards and a TD (and no interceptions, dropped INTs don't count for anything but an incomplete pass), seriously, what the hell do people expect from Manning? He's so good that when he doesn't appear to be immortal, people think he sucks and blame him for not putting on an epic, historic performance.

They scored 17 points, and 7 of them were because Antonio Cromartie is an idiot. Now as I said, the punter caused the Colts major problems (they were in the hole all night), but at the same time, scoring 17 points in a road playoff game is going to get you beat almost every time. Or, from the other perspective, you would NEVER expect the Colts to lose, especially in the playoffs, when their defense only gave up 17 points in regulation (and both Chargers touchdown drives in regulation started in Colts territory because Manning couldn't get a first down and they had to punt from their own end zone).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
They scored 17 points, and 7 of them were because Antonio Cromartie is an idiot. Now as I said, the punter caused the Colts major problems (they were in the hole all night), but at the same time, scoring 17 points in a road playoff game is going to get you beat almost every time. Or, from the other perspective, you would NEVER expect the Colts to lose, especially in the playoffs, when their defense only gave up 17 points in regulation (and both Chargers touchdown drives in regulation started in Colts territory because Manning couldn't get a first down and they had to punt from their own end zone).

Squeaking out a division win with a lot of help in the second worst division in football should not have earned the Chargers a home game in that circumstance, but that's another story.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Squeaking out a division win with a lot of help in the second worst division in football should not have earned the Chargers a home game in that circumstance, but that's another story.

Yeah I definately agree with that. I'd like it if they NFL did the playoffs like the NBA does. For instance the last 2 seasons Utah has been the #4 seed and Houston has been the #5, but Houston has gotten the home court advantage because of the better record. I think both Atlanta and Indianapolis should've had home field advantage because of a better record but that's not how they do it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)

Or maybe the Chargers and Cardinals are just that good. Again, IMO, way better than anyone from the NFC North.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Or maybe the Chargers and Cardinals are just that good. Again, IMO, way better than anyone from the NFC North.

Both of those points are almost completely irrelevant. If you want a home playoff game you should need to win more than 8-9 games, and you don't deserve an advantage over anyone. (If the wild card also only won that many then it's an anomalously s***ty year for the conference).

Edited by lostfan