Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dungy is a great man and was certainly a good coach. However, people in the national media (and lovie smith) are claiming he is one of the best coaches of all time, which I have a tough time buying into. While he was a defensive coach in TB (where he was an above average coach, but nothing else...only division champs 1 time) his defenses with the Colts were almost always subpar. He had a record under .500 in the playoffs, and quite frankly was just blessed to have arguably the best QB of all time on his team. I know he won the one superbowl, but how many times at the end of the year have the colts been a disappointment in the playoffs? I think candidly most Indy fans would tell you that this team should have won more superbowls, hell Dungy said it himself. I'm not really trying to be harsh, I guess my point is just when you have a truly great player like Peyton Manning, (not to mention HOF WR in Harrison, and one potentially in Wayne, and a potential HOF RB in Edge) alot of coaches will win a ton of games.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
Dungy is a great man and was certainly a good coach. However, people in the national media (and lovie smith) are claiming he is one of the best coaches of all time, which I have a tough time buying into. While he was a defensive coach in TB (where he was an above average coach, but nothing else...only division champs 1 time) his defenses with the Colts were almost always subpar. He had a record under .500 in the playoffs, and quite frankly was just blessed to have arguably the best QB of all time on his team. I know he won the one superbowl, but how many times at the end of the year have the colts been a disappointment in the playoffs? I think candidly most Indy fans would tell you that this team should have won more superbowls, hell Dungy said it himself. I'm not really trying to be harsh, I guess my point is just when you have a truly great player like Peyton Manning, (not to mention HOF WR in Harrison, and one potentially in Wayne, and a potential HOF RB in Edge) alot of coaches will win a ton of games.

You could pretty much substitute Don Schula for Tony Dungy and Dan Marino for Manning above and the consensus is that Schula was one of the greatest ever.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Like a funeral. They all blame Eli. But most fans seem to tip their hats off to the Eagles.

Without Plaxico Burress, Eli's simply a mediocre QB.

I still love seeing him him on all of the Toyota ads and a few more in the NY/NJ area though. Perfect timing. :D

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)

I've always thought Dungy was one of the most overrated coaches in football. Hey, is it a coincidence that the Bucs won the super bowl the year after Dungy left? I don't think so.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
Without Plaxico Burress, Eli's simply a mediocre QB.

I still love seeing him him on all of the Toyota ads and a few more in the NY/NJ area though. Perfect timing. :D

Well to be fair now that Shockey gone too, that recieving corps without Burress is pretty bad, worse than the Bears even.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Steve Smith is better then any WR we have.

And what exactly has he done to show this? He did nothing last season and this year he had a craptastic season too and thats with a better QB and O-Line than what we have on the Bears. And for most of the season he had Plax drawing double teams which should of gave him more of a chance to be open.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
And what exactly has he done to show this? He did nothing last season and this year he had a craptastic season too and thats with a better QB and O-Line than what we have on the Bears. And for most of the season he had Plax drawing double teams which should of gave him more of a chance to be open.

So who would you take, Hester or Smith? Lloyd or Smith? Davis or Smith?

Exactly.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:41 AM)

Exactly.

Devin Hesters numbers were almost identical

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitSt02.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HestDe99.htm

Hester had 6 less catches, more yards, and more touchdowns, AND played one less game

exactly

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:41 AM)

Exactly.

Id take Hester and if healthy Lloyd over Smith. Hester had better numbers with a worse QB throwing to him, It is without a doubt Orton cost Hester atleast 2 maybe 3-4 TD's this season which would even increase the gap more. Steve Smith is a good 3rd WR nothing more than that.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
LOL, Michael Irvins carjacking story is starting to show some leaks

Yea reporting it a day later. Then saying he didn't want to go public, but still talked about it on his radio show I believe is what I heard. I'm a Cowboys fan and grew up in the days of Smith, Aikman, and Irvin, but this is hilarious.

My Bears mock, as of now.

1. Paul Kruger, DE, Utah

---At 6'5 270, he's been compared to Aaron Kampman. I'll take the risk. I think we'll go DE in the 1st just because JA sounds like he hates the heavily paid DE's this year (Ogunleye in particular) and we added Marinelli.

2. Sam Young, RT, Notre Dame

---We need a dominant RT, and Young was great this year.

3. Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State

---I wanted to go WR earlier, but I figured DE and RT were bigger needs. Robiskie has Berrian size, but he isn't as fast. However, he is a fantastic route runner and uses his hands, both unlike Berrian.

3. Anthony Parker, RG, Tennessee

---We have a stud RB, and we need to bolster the OL. Parker was a star this year for the Vols.

4. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame

---FS is our 5th biggest need, and Bruton is the BSA here.

5. Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State

---Small but bulky CB. If we cut Vasher, move Tillman to FS, and don't sign a FA CB, then we'll only have Graham and Bowman as our CB's next year. Ouch.

6. David Veikune, DE, Hawaii

---Easily the best defensive player in the WAC this year. The only time he was shut down was against Sam Young (see 2nd round pick). He could be a steal.

7. Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU

---Converted LB- he's a nasty player and created many huge holes for Charles Scott this past year.

7. Louis West, OL, Henderson State

---Just a massive human at 6'8 380. He played everywhere except OC this year but he could be depth at OG in the NFL.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

I dont like the pick, but Robiskie isnt exactly a slow WR, he anchored the OSU 4x100 team and should break 4.5 in testing for the NFL.

I also dont see the Bears picking a DE in the first round, they have much bigger needs moving forward at DB, LB, WR, and OL.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
I dont like the pick, but Robiskie isnt exactly a slow WR, he anchored the OSU 4x100 team and should break 4.5 in testing for the NFL.

I also dont see the Bears picking a DE in the first round, they have much bigger needs moving forward at DB, LB, WR, and OL.

No, but he isn't that fast. He doesn't have blazing speed like many WR's do.

I hope your right on the 1st round pick, but with the addition of Marinelli and the seriousness Angelo had in his voice about underachievers, it made me think that he was in particular talking about Ogunleye (and Vasher).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)

DE or OL would be a very good pick. With our scheme, the right pressure would make our DBs look that much better. DE is key. OGUN should be shown the door.

LB is not a need in the 1st rd as long as Briggs and Urlacher are playing at respectable levels.

Drafting a WR in the 1st round would be very risky. Our philosophy is running the ball and playing good D. I doubt we draft a wr here.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
DE or OL would be a very good pick. With our scheme, the right pressure would make our DBs look that much better. DE is key. OGUN should be shown the door.

LB is not a need in the 1st rd as long as Briggs and Urlacher are playing at respectable levels.

Drafting a WR in the 1st round would be very risky. Our philosophy is running the ball and playing good D. I doubt we draft a wr here.

While I think they will cut him, I don't agree with it. However, if we do, we'll save almost $5 million which could help us land a guy like Terrell Suggs or Julius Peppers.

But, this is Ogunleye's last year on his deal. He could be playing for a contract this year and he could very well put up 10+ sacks. Plus, Marinelli is a DL genius and he could have some effect on Adewale's play.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
While I think they will cut him, I don't agree with it. However, if we do, we'll save almost $5 million which could help us land a guy like Terrell Suggs or Julius Peppers.

But, this is Ogunleye's last year on his deal. He could be playing for a contract this year and he could very well put up 10+ sacks. Plus, Marinelli is a DL genius and he could have some effect on Adewale's play.

Peppers is going to get franchised I think.

That'll mean that Jordan Gross will be a FA though.

A LOT of teams will be after him if that's the case.