Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the biggest need is still O-Line for the Bears. Im not up to date with the cap info but if there is a way we can sign the one corner from Oakland that would be pretty awesome as well. Ive heard Duke Robinson the LG falling into the 2nd round, would be pretty great if we could draft a good RT in first and get Robinson in 2nd as well.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
DE or OL would be a very good pick. With our scheme, the right pressure would make our DBs look that much better. DE is key. OGUN should be shown the door.

LB is not a need in the 1st rd as long as Briggs and Urlacher are playing at respectable levels.

Drafting a WR in the 1st round would be very risky. Our philosophy is running the ball and playing good D. I doubt we draft a wr here.

Agreed. Either a DE or OL should be taken in round 1.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
I think the biggest need is still O-Line for the Bears. Im not up to date with the cap info but if there is a way we can sign the one corner from Oakland that would be pretty awesome as well. Ive heard Duke Robinson the LG falling into the 2nd round, would be pretty great if we could draft a good RT in first and get Robinson in 2nd as well.

The Bears need to take an OT in one of the first couple rounds, but I'd say the Bears are in a position right now where you can make an argument that they have a need at almost every position. Except for LB, they are a candidate for just taking the best player available, especially if someone is starting to drop.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)

I'll shave my ass hairs and change my name to Leonardo if we could land Duke Robinson. Dude is a STUD. Where are you hearing this? Every mock draft site I've read has him going no lower than 20th.

Edit: NM. You're right. I've checked more recently updated mock drafts and he has slipped some (I have no idea why). But no way we could get him in the second round. Something extremely drastic would have to have occurred for him to slip that far.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Drafting a WR helps out the run game immensely. Forte could probably average 4.5 yards a carry if he didn't have to run against 8 in the box all the time.

Unless Michael Crabtree shockingly slips (won't happen), there's no WR worth drafting in the first round, IMO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
Unless Michael Crabtree shockingly slips (won't happen), there's no WR worth drafting in the first round, IMO.

Agreed on the value concept, but I'm just saying there is plenty to be said about having a decent WR, it shouldn't matter that the Bears are a run-first offense.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
If you ask me, the Bears' biggest need is in the secondary. S and CB are definitely a priority. I think they may go second round with OL, but more likely the 3rd since they want to see what they have in Chris Williams.

Eh a S maybe, but it's not an immediate need, not more than DE anyway. The secondary was horrible mainly because of the anemic pass rush. Without that the entire defense is worthless. The Bears have never had world-beater corners, and they have Corey Graham and Trumaine McBride who are adequate for now.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Agreed on the value concept, but I'm just saying there is plenty to be said about having a decent WR, it shouldn't matter that the Bears are a run-first offense.

Oh I agree. And hopefully we can land a quality one either later in the draft or through FA. But our biggest needs by far right now are on the offensive and defensive lines.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
Oh I agree. And hopefully we can land a quality one either later in the draft or through FA. But our biggest needs by far right now are on the offensive and defensive lines.

I agree 100%. It all starts at the line . Hard to bash the secondary when we give the QB forever to throw. I would like to see more Oline help too.

As far as the O-line, we should all pretty much get used to the idea that Garza is not going anywhere, Beekman probably isn't either. Kreutz has declined quite a bit in the last couple of years but he's not going anwhere either, but if he did, Beekman can play C. I wonder what happened to LeCharles Bentley? He was supposed to be healthy enough to play this year but nobody signed him. I guess he couldn't pass a physical.

Crossing my fingers and assuming Chris Williams can play (he looked decent to me physically in the limited sample size I had to work with), we definitely need another OT, because Tait's in the twilight of his career.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Eh a S maybe, but it's not an immediate need, not more than DE anyway. The secondary was horrible mainly because of the anemic pass rush. Without that the entire defense is worthless. The Bears have never had world-beater corners, and they have Corey Graham and Trumaine McBride who are adequate for now.

I would have to disagree here, I think the secondary was horrible because they are horrible. We dont have a pro-bowl DB in the bunch and our defense would be that much better if the QB ignored one half of the field.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
I would have to disagree here, I think the secondary was horrible because they are horrible. We dont have a pro-bowl DB in the bunch and our defense would be that much better if the QB ignored one half of the field.

The secondary wasn't THAT bad. Tillman was about the same as he ever was, Vasher was awful, but the guys filling in for Vasher did a good job. The problems in the secondary had to do with the opposing QB simply having too much time to throw (see TB, ATL, etc.) and bad playcalling (see just about every 3rd and long where a post was called and completed easily). The seams in the defense were gaping wide.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
The secondary wasn't THAT bad. Tillman was about the same as he ever was, Vasher was awful, but the guys filling in for Vasher did a good job. The problems in the secondary had to do with the opposing QB simply having too much time to throw (see TB, ATL, etc.) and bad playcalling (see just about every 3rd and long where a post was called and completed easily). The seams in the defense were gaping wide.

Its not the pass rush that let someone like Griese have his best game against the Bears. The pass rush needs a few seconds to get penetration and the coverage wasnt there to allow pressure at times. We have a terrible secondary. Vasher is done at this point, we dont have a true starter to fill in. Our safeties are average AT BEST. Dont discount the value of a dominant DB, it eliminates usually a team's best threat and half the field. 2 seconds more coverage leads to sacks. We have plenty of DE talent IMO but are VERY thin at LB especially with Urlacher moving into decline and at DB we have a crew of fillins.

With LBs, especially MLBs, they live and die by the play of the DTs which this year was inconsistent at best. Ray Lewis said something to the effect of "put a fat guy in front of me and I can play forever."

Brown is still excellent in run support but was pretty average in coverage. The FS play wasn't that great though.

The whole thing is a symbiotic relationship. You can't have one without the other.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
With LBs, especially MLBs, they live and die by the play of the DTs which this year was inconsistent at best. Ray Lewis said something to the effect of "put a fat guy in front of me and I can play forever."

Brown is still excellent in run support but was pretty average in coverage. The FS play wasn't that great though.

The whole thing is a symbiotic relationship. You can't have one without the other.

Isnt it funny we are arguing who is the most craptastic group? The whole defense is going to need to be turned over here in the next few seasons IMO. The only young guy I really like moving forward is Marcus Harrison.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Its not the pass rush that let someone like Griese have his best game against the Bears. The pass rush needs a few seconds to get penetration and the coverage wasnt there to allow pressure at times. We have a terrible secondary. Vasher is done at this point, we dont have a true starter to fill in. Our safeties are average AT BEST. Dont discount the value of a dominant DB, it eliminates usually a team's best threat and half the field. 2 seconds more coverage leads to sacks. We have plenty of DE talent IMO but are VERY thin at LB especially with Urlacher moving into decline and at DB we have a crew of fillins.

Took the words out of my mouth. Tillman has never been a world beater and IMHO he should be no more than a nickel or a #2 with Champ Bailey on the other side of him. Vasher is like Tillman IMHO as well. They have good qualities and I think Vasher is a better tackler and coverage person why Tillman is the better ballhawk. Either way, they are not the answer at CB. The S is screwed up as well IMO. Bears have good backups starting at those positions, especially when Brown is injured. I also think they have to move on from Mike Brown.

Other more prominent needs IMO are WR and DE.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
As far as the O-line, we should all pretty much get used to the idea that Garza is not going anywhere, Beekman probably isn't either. Kreutz has declined quite a bit in the last couple of years but he's not going anwhere either, but if he did, Beekman can play C. I wonder what happened to LeCharles Bentley? He was supposed to be healthy enough to play this year but nobody signed him. I guess he couldn't pass a physical.

Crossing my fingers and assuming Chris Williams can play (he looked decent to me physically in the limited sample size I had to work with), we definitely need another OT, because Tait's in the twilight of his career.

Would the Bears go after Jordan Gross to play RT if he became a FA and cut John Tait I wonder?

Gross is probably one of the best 2 or 3 RT's in the league.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
Would the Bears go after Jordan Gross to play RT if he became a FA and cut John Tait I wonder?

Gross is probably one of the best 2 or 3 RT's in the league.

They probably have the salary cap space to do it, I don't really understand Angelo's mode of thinking with the O-line though. I gave up trying after last year when they could've signed any number of mid-range FA guards and didn't. To his credit, Beekman has been ok.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I'll shave my ass hairs and change my name to Leonardo if we could land Duke Robinson. Dude is a STUD. Where are you hearing this? Every mock draft site I've read has him going no lower than 20th.

Edit: NM. You're right. I've checked more recently updated mock drafts and he has slipped some (I have no idea why). But no way we could get him in the second round. Something extremely drastic would have to have occurred for him to slip that far.

He started off the game against Florida getting toasted on every play for the most part. Then, out of frustration, he began to committ dumbf*** penalties, and was benched soon thereafter. He did come back in, opened some holes, then went back to getting burnt.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Took the words out of my mouth. Tillman has never been a world beater and IMHO he should be no more than a nickel or a #2 with Champ Bailey on the other side of him. Vasher is like Tillman IMHO as well. They have good qualities and I think Vasher is a better tackler and coverage person why Tillman is the better ballhawk. Either way, they are not the answer at CB. The S is screwed up as well IMO. Bears have good backups starting at those positions, especially when Brown is injured. I also think they have to move on from Mike Brown.

Other more prominent needs IMO are WR and DE.

Unless Im completely off here and I might be since Ive been drinking, but isnt Tillman a very solid tackler and Vasher pathetic in that regard. I have no mind with Tillman being a starting corner for the Bears, its just the defensive scheme that gets beat all the time. Vasher on the other hand was just really pathetic this last season and definitely needs a bounce back season next year or he done. I actually am a fan of Kevin Payne as well and think he will just improve more next season.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 12:23 AM)
He started off the game against Florida getting toasted on every play for the most part. Then, out of frustration, he began to committ dumbf*** penalties, and was benched soon thereafter. He did come back in, opened some holes, then went back to getting burnt.

Let's hope for a weak combine