Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
I wonder if the Bears would target someone like Sage Rosenfals from the Texans in the off-season possibly (although Angelo really loves his draft picks doesn't he).

Sage can pound sand. If Angelo targets someone, it better not be a career #3 QB

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
Sage can pound sand. If Angelo targets someone, it better not be a career #3 QB

One of Cleveland's QB's will be available. The reality is Orton failing means the Bears will have to address the QB position (via FA, Trade, or the Draft). If Orton is benched and Rex comes in than you are immediately indicating such and that is why the Bears will give Kyle every chance to prove himself. If Kyle struggles horribly the next 2 weeks, I could see the Bears making a change at that point but the reality is they'll at least stick with Kyle through 6 weeks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
One of Cleveland's QB's will be available. The reality is Orton failing means the Bears will have to address the QB position (via FA, Trade, or the Draft). If Orton is benched and Rex comes in than you are immediately indicating such and that is why the Bears will give Kyle every chance to prove himself. If Kyle struggles horribly the next 2 weeks, I could see the Bears making a change at that point but the reality is they'll at least stick with Kyle through 6 weeks.

It aint gonna be Quinn and I want no part of Anderson, that guy is Rex part 2

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Anderson's a middle of the road starting QB in the NFL I'd say.

At least he gets rid of the ball quickly and doesn't get sacked a lot e.g Grossman.

He signed a 3 year deal in the off-season though didn't he?

He has one of the best lines in the league. He ended last year very grossman like, lots of bad decisions, interceptions

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Wow. My Raiders look a heck of a lot different since last week. Maybe there's hope.

They looked a lot better, but overall I still don't think there is hope. McFadden is a stud and the fact Fargas got hurt means more of run DMC on the field which is good. However, Kansas City is the worst team in the league (they won't win more than 2 or 3 games), so don't read too much into yesterday. Lane Kiffin could be canned at any moment as well. The Raiders are like the Blackhawks a couple years ago, they have no hope until their crazy owner dies. Mean, but true.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
They looked a lot better, but overall I still don't think there is hope. McFadden is a stud and the fact Fargas got hurt means more of run DMC on the field which is good. However, Kansas City is the worst team in the league (they won't win more than 2 or 3 games), so don't read too much into yesterday. Lane Kiffin could be canned at any moment as well. The Raiders are like the Blackhawks a couple years ago, they have no hope until their crazy owner dies. Mean, but true.

I've been saying this for quite some time and will continue to do so.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
Please stop trying to make Orton out to be something he's not. We don't have any good quarterbacks on this roster, both of them suck but in different ways, and the net difference between the two is a wash. When it comes to strengths, Grossman definitely does what Orton can't, and vice versa, but that goes for weaknesses too. Orton is a career backup QB at this point barring any major improvement, and I wish this fanbase would be more honest about what he is. The fact is, we still should be looking for a new QB this offseason.

By the way, as far as his line calls? He is the one who checked out of a run on that 3rd and 1 play in the 4th quarter.

Apparently you didnt read my post. He's better than Rex, that just means he isnt football retarded. And pointing to one horribly called play doesnt prove that his line calls arent good. He was changing protection schemes throughout the game, and did it quite well. He checks down and makes decisions quickly. With a running game, thats all we really need, although it would be nice to have a QB that could stretch the field deep with touch.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Apparently you didnt read my post. He's better than Rex, that just means he isnt football retarded. And pointing to one horribly called play doesnt prove that his line calls arent good. He was changing protection schemes throughout the game, and did it quite well. He checks down and makes decisions quickly. With a running game, thats all we really need, although it would be nice to have a QB that could stretch the field deep with touch.

My point is that the difference between them is nil, so it doesn't matter which one of them is "better." That's like saying it doesn't smell as bad when someone farts as opposed to when they take a dump.

The team doesn't even really need a QB that could stretch the field, although that'd be nice... just a QB that can actually complete a 10 yard pass without having a rabbit's foot shoved up his ass with the planets in alignment while standing on a four-leaf clover.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
My point is that the difference between them is nil, so it doesn't matter which one of them is "better." That's like saying it doesn't smell as bad when someone farts as opposed to when they take a dump.
My farts generally dont smell.

And for this team and what we are trying to do, Orton is a better fit because of his reads, height, and decision making ability. Rex is a mental midget who really sucks at ball control.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)

And for this team and what we are trying to do, Orton is a better fit because of his reads, height, and decision making ability. Rex is a mental midget who really sucks at ball control.

You suck at ball control!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)

I'm fine with Orton playing for now for no other reason than the fact that the spinning of the QB carousel makes me physically ill... but that doesn't mean I have to like it. He is ok as a one, maybe two-year stopgap. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Hanie turns out to be something (which does not absolve Angelo of the responsibility of looking for another QB, putting all eggs in one basket is the mistake he made with Rex)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
I'm fine with Orton playing for now for no other reason than the fact that the spinning of the QB carousel makes me physically ill... but that doesn't mean I have to like it. He is ok as a one, maybe two-year stopgap. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Hanie turns out to be something (which does not absolve Angelo of the responsibility of looking for another QB, putting all eggs in one basket is the mistake he made with Rex)

I think you'll see the coaching staff take a real look at some QB's in next years draft. And to be honest, why the f*** didnt we look at Culpepper? With a good running game and defense, you need an offense that can stretch the field with success, which Daunte has shown he can do.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
I think you'll see the coaching staff take a real look at some QB's in next years draft. And to be honest, why the f*** didnt we look at Culpepper? With a good running game and defense, you need an offense that can stretch the field with success, which Daunte has shown he can do.

Because he's washed up and bad. He'd have a job otherwise. The Bears obviously need to pick up at leats one (more likely two) quarterbacks after this season though. As I said before the season, the quarterback of the next really good Bears team, like one that wins the division, isn't on the roster yet.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
Because he's washed up and bad. He'd have a job otherwise. The Bears obviously need to pick up at leats one (more likely two) quarterbacks after this season though. As I said before the season, the quarterback of the next really good Bears team, like one that wins the division, isn't on the roster yet.

Alex Smith will almost certainly be available this offseason. The 9ers aren't going to bring him back for $10 million next year when he'd have to earn the starting spot in camp.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
Alex Smith will almost certainly be available this offseason. The 9ers aren't going to bring him back for $10 million next year when he'd have to earn the starting spot in camp.

Holy s***, no. That would be even worse than the equivalent of signing Darin Erstad - because Erstad was at least good before.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
We could go crazy and bring in Alex Smith, Kyle Boller and than have them compete with Hanie for the starting nod next season. Hell could even bring in good ole Joey Harrington.

Why not see if Jeff Tedford wants to be the Bears QB coach while you are at it? :lolhitting