Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
I just don't look at him in the top 30 receivers in the league anymore. He's injured and 36. Though he's good. I don't think he is too much of a difference maker any more.

I'm a Bucs fan so I'll chime in.

On most teams he really wouldnt be a difference maker. But the Bucs really dont have a good WR group and he's really our only down field threat.

Last year against the Giants in the playoffs he was injured and was only out there for a few snaps. Caught 1 ball for 9 yards. Not making excuses b/c we know what the Giants ended up doing but the Bucs might have been able to do better on offense with their top WR in the game. We were down by 24-7 until a meaningless score late in the game to lose 24-13.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 03:12 AM)
hahaha

right

Watch and see. You won't be laughing come mid-January. This team is complete with just enough passing. Right now, they're the 2nd best team in the AFC, behind Pittsburgh. Although, with the way the Steelers played Sunday, you could say Buffalo is the #1 team right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
Watch and see. You won't be laughing come mid-January. This team is complete with just enough passing. Right now, they're the 2nd best team in the AFC, behind Pittsburgh. Although, with the way the Steelers played Sunday, you could say Buffalo is the #1 team right now.

Even as a Bills fan...don't count your rings from your performance in early September. It's a LOONG season. Rex Grossman looked like a worldbeater for the first 7-8 games or so in 2006.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
I do think the Bills could win that division, but not sure about the AFC Championship game. The one thing that is in their favor is how lackluster the Patriots/Colts look.

Once you get in to the playoffs...anything, and I mean anything can happen. See; the 2001 Patriots, the 2005 Steelers, etc.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)

That Steelers O-line you saw vs. Philly was the actual Steelers O-line. It's pathetic. Somehow they got away with it for the first couple of games.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)

The Bills right now have the 30th ranked offense and have played a pretty easy 3 games. They aren't the second best team in the AFC, and they sure as hell aren't the #1 team.

St. Louis is battling KC for title of worst team in the NFL, so chances are Buffalo could be 5-0 going into the bye and were going to have to hear you continue to talk craziness.

AFTER the bye however, they get San Diego, @ Miami, NYJ, @ New England

Why don't you wait to see how they do in those 4 games before putting them in the AFC title game.

Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Denver, and San Diego are all teams who I would place over Buffalo in the AFC right now. I would even put Baltimore in front of them if they could put points on the board, but since they cant, I wont.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
That Steelers O-line you saw vs. Philly was the actual Steelers O-line. It's pathetic. Somehow they got away with it for the first couple of games.

Philly is one of the top teams in the NFC in my opinion, I have them and Dallas battling it out as to who represents the NFC in the Super Bowl. They have looked damn good, so I wouldn't take too much away from Pittsburgh for that game.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
The Bills right now have the 30th ranked offense and have played a pretty easy 3 games. They aren't the second best team in the AFC, and they sure as hell aren't the #1 team.

St. Louis is battling KC for title of worst team in the NFL, so chances are Buffalo could be 5-0 going into the bye and were going to have to hear you continue to talk craziness.

AFTER the bye however, they get San Diego, @ Miami, NYJ, @ New England

Why don't you wait to see how they do in those 4 games before putting them in the AFC title game.

Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Denver, and San Diego are all teams who I would place over Buffalo in the AFC right now. I would even put Baltimore in front of them if they could put points on the board, but since they cant, I wont.

The Bills offense needs another playmaker or they need Lynch to turn into one, but they have one of the best OLines in the AFC, especially now that Peters is back. I also think you are severely underrating Arizona, who they play after St. Louis...the Bills have a quick defense, but if the Arizona receivers get behind the coverage, Warner could easily have a field day. I'm more concerned about that game than any of the 3 coming up after that.

A couple other points

-San Diego's defense is mediocre or possibly even straight up bad, but their offense is ridiculous. That's a team to watch out for, especially if LT2 is healthy, but it's a winnable game.

-Ronnie Brown is not a QB; his place in the single wing is essentially how Miami got their only win. That won't continue.

-The Jets are not a good team. They probably should have lost to the Dolphins, lost by 2 scores to New England, and got slaughtered by San Diego. I don't believe they are anything more than a 7-9 or 8-8 team.

-New England has become underrated since Brady went down, but they are still without Brady. That's still probably the game in the next 2 months that concerns me the most.

Personally, I'd rather see them get 7 or 8 wins before November ends before I even consider them a playoff team. I've seen them collapse way too many times in the past 10 or so years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 23, 2008 -> 11:58 PM)
The Bills offense needs another playmaker or they need Lynch to turn into one, but they have one of the best OLines in the AFC, especially now that Peters is back. I also think you are severely underrating Arizona, who they play after St. Louis...the Bills have a quick defense, but if the Arizona receivers get behind the coverage, Warner could easily have a field day. I'm more concerned about that game than any of the 3 coming up after that.

A couple other points

-San Diego's defense is mediocre or possibly even straight up bad, but their offense is ridiculous. That's a team to watch out for, especially if LT2 is healthy, but it's a winnable game.

-Ronnie Brown is not a QB; his place in the single wing is essentially how Miami got their only win. That won't continue.

-The Jets are not a good team. They probably should have lost to the Dolphins, lost by 2 scores to New England, and got slaughtered by San Diego. I don't believe they are anything more than a 7-9 or 8-8 team.

-New England has become underrated since Brady went down, but they are still without Brady. That's still probably the game in the next 2 months that concerns me the most.

Personally, I'd rather see them get 7 or 8 wins before November ends before I even consider them a playoff team. I've seen them collapse way too many times in the past 10 or so years.

regardless of what you think of Miami or the other teams in the AFC East, they are still division games and will be tough ones. I also expect San Diego to blow out Buffalo as well, so well see what happens.

I didn't overlook Arizona, but after they laid an egg against Washington they lost my respect

QUOTE (Shadows @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
I didn't overlook Arizona, but after they laid an egg against Washington they lost my respect

Arizona is that remarkable team where for each of the last 10 years or so it's seemed like enough people have said "This is finally their year!" that I won't believe they're going to be drafting out of the top 10 until they reach the super bowl.

I'd buy on Bulger too. The one problem with him though is he's proven he can look awful if he has a bad group of players around him, and as long as Jerry Angelo runs the team, you KNOW that Bulger will have a group of bad players around him. The only exception to that of course is Matt Forte, but Bulger does have Stephen Jackson in St. Louis too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
I'd buy on Bulger too. The one problem with him though is he's proven he can look awful if he has a bad group of players around him, and as long as Jerry Angelo runs the team, you KNOW that Bulger will have a group of bad players around him. The only exception to that of course is Matt Forte, but Bulger does have Stephen Jackson in St. Louis too.

Bulger's also been playing with a very weak defense the last couple years. At least on paper that's not true of the Bears...well at least until the 4th quarter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
Anything but a first rounder and I'd make that move if I were the Bears. Do they have the cap space for his contract? Can the Rams move it without a gigantic cap hit?

The Bears have a decent amount of cap space and they're done paying all of their big-contract players, but Cliff Stein wouldn't like to have them so close to the cap. They'd need some flexibility at least.