Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
What strategy? The strategy of having an elite offense with multiple Pro Bowlers on it? I wonder why more teams haven't tried that, it seems to work.

Well the Bears D used to be "elite" and teams would just struggle to put up points against them at all.

And then when Mike Brown went down and you had Archuleta in at safety, and Chris Harris got traded (playing at a pro bowl level for Carolina now BTW), teams saw a weakness in the secondary and just decided, no we're not going to run against Tommie Harris and co., we'll just pass the ball al day long.

And last season it worked, and McNabb has pretty decent success last night also. Philly really should have done better last night, better red zone conversion and they win last night.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
Well the Bears D used to be "elite" and teams would just struggle to put up points against them at all.

And then when Mike Brown went down and you had Archuleta in at safety, and Chris Harris got traded (playing at a pro bowl level for Carolina now BTW), teams saw a weakness in the secondary and just decided, no we're not going to run against Tommie Harris and co., we'll just pass the ball al day long.

And last season it worked, and McNabb has pretty decent success last night also. Philly really should have done better last night, better red zone conversion and they win last night.

The pass defense lives and dies by the front 4. If they don't get pressure, they just throw slants all day or sit back and wait for a target. The defense doesn't adjust.

Trading Chris Harris was stupid but only because they thought they were replacing him with Archuleta. Harris was a liability in coverage and never was as good with us as he's been with the Panthers (where he plays in a different system). He's always been a hard hitter and had a knack for forcing fumbles, though.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)

same can be said for the redskins. Better execution and they win by 14+

I'd have to rank the NFC east as follows

Giants

Redskins

Cowboys

Eagles

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
1. The Bills are good.

Im still not sold on this yet

St. Louis is the worst team in the league and they had to collapse in the second half to lose that game

Buffalo still has the 30th ranked offense this season facing

11th ranked defense in Seattle (Bye week aided stats)

13th ranked defense in Jax

29th ranked defense in Oakland

32nd ranked rush D in St. Louis (#1 pass D because no need to throw against them)

Lynch is only avg 3.5 a carry so hes gonna have to pick it up if Buffalo wants to do anything this season.

Like I said, wait to see what they do against the Chargers, Bretts, Dolphins, Patriots, and Browns before you jump the gun.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
same can be said for the redskins. Better execution and they win by 14+

I'd have to rank the NFC east as follows

Giants

Redskins

Cowboys

Eagles

:D

I'm confident we'll still finish top. Why Garrett abandoned the run I don't know, but I think yesterday was more of a wake-up call than anything.

On paper, we should be better than the Redskins for sure.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
:D

I'm confident we'll still finish top. Why Garrett abandoned the run I don't know, but I think yesterday was more of a wake-up call than anything.

On paper, we should be better than the Redskins for sure.

It seems like the Cowboys always abandon the run while in catchup mode. I think it's silly to run 0 back sets too. Why not keep the defense guessing?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
It seems like the Cowboys always abandon the run while in catchup mode. I think it's silly to run 0 back sets too. Why not keep the defense guessing?

Especially when you have Barber and Jones back there.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)

Because they have to keep their high maintenance diva happy. And even after trying to force him the ball 18 times and handing him 2 reverses (and this force feeding strategy cost them the game IMO), T.O. STILL whines about his touches. A game like that reminds you why a team with T.O. will never win a Super Bowl. The only reason the Eagles even got to one was his injury IMO.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Because they have to keep their high maintenance diva happy. And even after trying to force him the ball 18 times and handing him 2 reverses (and this force feeding strategy cost them the game IMO), T.O. STILL whines about his touches. A game like that reminds you why a team with T.O. will never win a Super Bowl. The only reason the Eagles even got to one was his injury IMO.

I dont believe thats true at all, hell only reason Eagles lost to the superbowl was McNabb's fault not TO's, TO had a great game in the superbowl while playing hurt.

The Bills are a good second half team. I do want to see a little more production out of Lynch...he scares me because, while he's a workhorse, he just doesn't have that explosiveness you want out of a top tier running back. If he does, I have yet to see it. Frankly, I think Fred Jackson might be a better running back than Lynch is.

The defense is great but they just took a monster hit losing McGee. I think Arizona beats the Bills this weekend unless the D can get to Warner a few times and force 3-4 turnovers.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Tough game last night. Kendall Simmons and Rashard Mendenhall lost for the season. The Ray Lewis hit on Rashard was just nasty. Can't say I'm saddened by Kendall being out though, he was brutal.

Rookie law #1 Dont talk s*** about the Ravens defense.