Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
how in the f***ING OWORLD do you not kick that ball deep?!?!?!?

Umm because the last time they did that, the guy went 80 yards. The squib kick wasn't the problem, Babich calling a soft cover 2 defense with 6 seconds left allowing the receiver to get into an open zone 20 yards down the field unimpeded was. I thought NOBODY could lose in more pathetic and embarrassing fashion in 2008 than the Chicago Cubs, but I was wrong. A team in the very same city managed to do it. That is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen, I've NEVER seen a team fall behind with 11 seconds left and win without a hail mary in my life at the major college or pro football level. People should be fired for that game.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
When the ball was hiked the clock didn't move for almost a second and a half. Did anyone else catch that?

yes. Almost thought that was what the booth review was for. (not even sure if you could do a review on that or not though)

The clock work was iffy the last two minutes of the game, but the Bears deserved to lose that game. Their defense was a joke all day (Atlanta wins big if they hadn't got conservative inside the 30 and settled for field goals all day), they scored 0 points on a drive that had 3rd and goal inside the 1, and the display the defense/coaches put on on that last play before the field goal was as bad as you'll ever see.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Umm because the last time they did that, the guy went 80 yards. The squib kick wasn't the problem, Babich calling a soft cover 2 defense with 6 seconds left allowing the receiver to get into an open zone 20 yards down the field unimpeded was. I thought NOBODY could lose in more pathetic and embarrassing fashion in 2008 than the Chicago Cubs, but I was wrong. A team in the very same city managed to do it. That is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen, I've NEVER seen a team fall behind with 11 seconds left and win without a hail mary in my life at the major college or pro football level. People should be fired for that game.

Went 80 yards with extended ST coverage...you kick it deep and set up at the 40. You basically gave them 2 plays (one pass and a fg...which how it turned out). You cover on ST and they only have one play. I still think it was a HORRIBLE decision. But...that's me. How often do guys go 80 yards?...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
How often do guys go 80 yards?...

A lot more often than you see a team blow a two point lead attained with 11 seconds left without the involvement of a hail mary. The squib kick was the right call. It was executed poorly, and they were STILL in great shape to win the game. The last pass play goes on Mike Brown for being useless at covering, but mainly Bob Babich and Lovie Smith for (1) having Mike Brown in the game during a passing situation and ESPECIALLY (2) calling a defense that leaves holes in the exact area of the field the Falcons needed to get to win the game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
A lot more often than you see a team blow a two point lead attained with 11 seconds left without the involvement of a hail mary. The squib kick was the right call. It was executed poorly, and they were STILL in great shape to win the game. The last pass play goes on Mike Brown for being useless at covering, but mainly Bob Babich and Lovie Smith for (1) having Mike Brown in the game during a passing situation and ESPECIALLY (2) calling a defense that leaves holes in the exact area of the field the Falcons needed to get to win the game.

Whether it was executed poorly was a moot point IMO. Sure you want to get it past that 2nd line...but the clock doesn't start until the receiving team touches the ball. All they have to do is fall on it...and no time goes off the clock. I'd still rather take my chances with covering the return and running as much time off as I could. I still disagree that it was the right call...pure speculation.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
I realize Vash was out, Peanut was out (most of the game) and we were not generating pressure up the middle. But, s***! His scheme was exposed today, big time. I miss Ron Rivera.

the thing is...this isnt babich's scheme entirely.....its lovie's.....we sat there today and let a rookie qb pick us apart without getting any pressure on him...another 0 sack game from our defense full of playmakers....everything ryan did today was so vanilla its not even funny...throw to the soft spots in the zone.....i know people criticized the dan bazuin draft, and for good reason, he sucked and didn't work out, but right now we have 3 DEs (2 who are aging) who are getting 0 pressure on the qb, so i can't fault our organization for drafting a DE, they just took the wrong one...it will be something that will have to be addressed in the draft next year IMO

Edited by daa84

You know, if Arizona hadn't collapsed and allowed 10 points in about 3 minutes, most noteably allowing a slow running back who runs like a fullback go 70 yards on a screen pass, this game would be over. The officiating has been poor, but it isn't why this game is in overtime, it isn't why the Bears lost, and so on. You guys are like Hawk Harrelson, just completely overdoing the affect of the officiating (well, in that case it's the umpiriing) on a game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
You know, if Arizona hadn't collapsed and allowed 10 points in about 3 minutes, most noteably allowing a slow running back who runs like a fullback go 70 yards on a screen pass, this game would be over. The officiating has been poor, but it isn't why this game is in overtime, it isn't why the Bears lost, and so on. You guys are like Hawk Harrelson, just completely overdoing the affect of the officiating (well, in that case it's the umpiriing) on a game.

did you watch the 1st half of the dallas AZ game? Dallas was handed this game!

didnt see the other calls earlier in the game, and i hate dallas as much as anyone, but i didnt really think the guy was injured and it sure looked to me like he was just trying to slow the cowboys down adn prevent them from spiking it, especially given that fact that the guy is out there on the first play of OT

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
did you watch the 1st half of the dallas AZ game? Dallas was handed this game!

Arizona was up 10 with only a few minutes left. They had Dallas in a 4th and very long, only to allow them to hit about a 35 yard pass as time was running out. The refs have been very bad in this game, but that is only a small factor in why this game is still going right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101