Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Arizona was up 10 with only a few minutes left. They had Dallas in a 4th and very long, only to allow them to hit about a 35 yard pass as time was running out. The refs have been very bad in this game, but that is only a small factor in why this game is still going right now.

what ever Dallas loses. :headbang

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
You know, if Arizona hadn't collapsed and allowed 10 points in about 3 minutes, most noteably allowing a slow running back who runs like a fullback go 70 yards on a screen pass, this game would be over. The officiating has been poor, but it isn't why this game is in overtime, it isn't why the Bears lost, and so on. You guys are like Hawk Harrelson, just completely overdoing the affect of the officiating (well, in that case it's the umpiriing) on a game.

agreed. BUT...some really ridiculous calls going the Cowboys favor in the 1st half. Officiating had ZERO outcome in the Bears game.

There were some damn good games today:

St. Louis vs. Washington (walkoff FG)

Bears vs. ATL (we all know what happened)

Fins vs. Houston (back in fourth in the final minutes, Houston scores with 1 second to win)

Lions vs. Queens (last second FG)

Cowboys vs. Cards (OT and punt block for TD)

Also, as much jocking as the NFC East gets from the media, the NFC South is just as good a division IMO. Obviously, the NFC East has the best team in the entire league right now in the Giants, but the NFC South is loaded and quite balanced. It's similar to college football, where the SEC is getting all the credit but the Big 12 is just as good if not better.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

NFL is ridiculous this year.

Just looking at all the teams, there is not dominant team that I can look at and say is the favorite to go to the Superbowl. Last year you could easily pick out the Patriots and other teams in years past. Giants could very well get back there.

The Chargers looked liked the Chargers for only the 2nd time this season tonight, they seem to like the national television games. Although San Diego, New England, and Indianapolis have fallen under the radar due to relatively unremarkable play, all of them are still right in the race for the AFC postseason.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
I realize Vash was out, Peanut was out (most of the game) and we were not generating pressure up the middle. But, s***! His scheme was exposed today, big time. I miss Ron Rivera.

Ron Rivera wasn't that great of a coordinator either, he flat out did not generate any pressure when the D-line wasn't getting to the QB so Babich is no different. They are running the same exact defensive scheme, pretty much the same plays and everything.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
Ron Rivera wasn't that great of a coordinator either, he flat out did not generate any pressure when the D-line wasn't getting to the QB so Babich is no different. They are running the same exact defensive scheme, pretty much the same plays and everything.

I know. I thought rivera made better adjustments. Yesterday was just a frustrating game. Logic tells me that we were getting burned because our shutdown pro-bowl corners were out. But then, what about the Tampa game? The cover 2 scheme has 2 many obvious holes. It worked best in 2005 and part of 2006 when our secondary was quicker to the weak spots. Now, I don't know if we are quick enough to recover with Brown a step slower.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 07:30 AM)
I know. I thought rivera made better adjustments. Yesterday was just a frustrating game. Logic tells me that we were getting burned because our shutdown pro-bowl corners were out. But then, what about the Tampa game? The cover 2 scheme has 2 many obvious holes. It worked best in 2005 and part of 2006 when our secondary was quicker to the weak spots. Now, I don't know if we are quick enough to recover with Brown a step slower.

Well to be honest, they dont run all that much cover-2. Cover 2 is a scheme, not an entire defensive philosophy. They prob run cover 2 MAYBE 20 percent of the time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
Well to be honest, they dont run all that much cover-2. Cover 2 is a scheme, not an entire defensive philosophy. They prob run cover 2 MAYBE 20 percent of the time.

That's a lot imo. They obviously run it on 3rd and long almost all the time.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
Arizona is good.

Cleveland isn't.

I disagree. If Jamal Lewis runs with that type of energy the rest of the season, Kellen Winslow comes back to health,Braylon Edwards playing like the beast that he is and Dante Stallworth back, this Cleveland team is very dangerous. They have a great shot at the playoffs.

The only thing that benefits Arizona, is a weak division.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)

Every defense has weak spots. It's about the personnel, not about the scheme. If, say, they're running a 3-4 and they have the same holes in the secondary, they're still gonna get burned, especially if they don't get to the QB. It's not about the Cover 2. It's about playing an ungodly amount of snaps without getting a sack, and having inconsistent pressure.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)

Beat me to it. No team is in their base defense the whole time. Maybe a max of 1/3 of the time. For example when they're looking run, they're in a Cover 1. The Cover 2 is great when your front 4 is getting pressure and you don't have to blitz and bad when it's not, simple as that.