Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Dolphins finally lose one...Pace signs with the Jets

Wish we could have gotten him but thats more money than Joey Porter got and slightly more the Phins were offering.. saves us some more money though, and now I would expect Chris Long in the draft

The Porter signing was a terrible one in the 1st place by Randy Mueller.

At least Pace is coming into his prime now.

Guess Chris Long is back to being an option with the #1 pick now (and they'll probably keep Jason Taylor also).

According to the Trib/ESPN, Griese traded to Bucs for a 2009 undisclosed draft pick. Think it's either a 6th or 7th.

Weird, the Bucs have Garcia, Gradkowski, Simms and Luke McCown. Now Griese. Who goes? I think Simms is gone, is McCown next?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
The Porter signing was a terrible one in the 1st place by Randy Mueller.

At least Pace is coming into his prime now.

Guess Chris Long is back to being an option with the #1 pick now (and they'll probably keep Jason Taylor also).

It wasn't terrible at all

Miami was coming off a year where they had a top 5 defense in the league and adding a player like Porter was supposed to put them over the top..

The only reason it looks terrible now is because everyone got hurt, and they played bad and went 1-15.. at the time, it was a good move

He still ended up being our best defender last season

Porter was what in his low 30's though, when you gave him that contract. I just don't like the idea of throwing that type of money around for an aging player, unless he's an absolute stud.

You could argue that signing Porter to that type of deal, didn't allow Miami to fill holes elsewhere, and they obviously don't have a lot of depth.

As for Griese, decent work by Angelo to end up getting a pick for him. Jon Gruden just has too many QB's.

What happens if Jake Plummer decides he wants to play again?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Porter was what in his low 30's though, when you gave him that contract. I just don't like the idea of throwing that type of money around for an aging player, unless he's an absolute stud.

You could argue that signing Porter to that type of deal, didn't allow Miami to fill holes elsewhere, and they obviously don't have a lot of depth.

That doesn't really matter, you have to pay these days to get anyone even if they are in their early 30's

I think Porter played well enough to earn the money he was given.. the only thing that would have been better is if everyone else played the same way

Well he only had 5.5 sacks and 2 INT's, so he wasn't exactly a game changer on defense.

JMHO though, you would have seen more of him than me. Of course not having a good NT, wouldn't have helped either.

At least Ferguson will provide a decent stopgap, if he's got something left.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
Well he only had 5.5 sacks and 2 INT's, so he wasn't exactly a game changer on defense.

JMHO though, you would have seen more of him than me. Of course not having a good NT, wouldn't have helped either.

At least Ferguson will provide a decent stopgap, if he's got something left.

He started slow, but that was because of his knee surgery he had in the offseason..

We had wayy too many injuries on defense.. We damn near lost half of the starters and had a bunch of scrubs playing for most of the second half of the season

Ferguson is exactly a stopgap.. you might be rebuilding but you still need some players out there, he will be fine for a season or two I am not expecting him to be the focal point of the defense but he is our best option right now

That's about $150M in total contracts they've given to Gibril Wilson, Tommy Kelly and Javon Walker.

Al Davis is truly insane.

Oakland is the worst sport franchise in any American Sport right now. They're a complete JOKE.

Also heard an interesting story about the douche Ocho Cinco.

Remember this little nugget on our march to the Super Bowl? Great teammate that Mucho Stinko:

MORE THAN TWO YEARS LATER, VINDICATION

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2008, 10:46 p.m. We made one of our biggest stirs ever with this blurb from the evening of January 9, 2006:

“A league source tells us that multiple members of the Cincinatti Bengals witnessed a troubling incident as the team prepared to take the field for the second half of Sunday’s playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“Per the source, the last few minutes of intermission were ticking away, when the players were startled by the sight and sound of a helmet slamming against the glass pane of the training room door. Inside, receiver Chad Johnson and receivers coach Hue Jackson were engaged in an altercation. At one point, Johnson was seen holding Jackson in a headlock.

“Coach Marvin Lewis entered the training room to intervene, and Johnson (per the source) took a swing at him.”

The team denied any such incident, and Johnson called a press conference for the sole purpose of claiming that nothing happened. Boomer Esiason of CBS partially corroborated our report, and Johnson eventually would concede that something happened.

More than two years later, one of the players who witnessed the incident has shared his perceptions with the world, courtesy of the magic that is YouTube.

On Monday night, speaking at a recent meeting of the Central Maryland Browns Backers, former Bengals defensive tackle Shaun Smith acknowledged that Chad Johnson took a swing at Lewis — and made contact.

Asked at the 5:20 mark of the clip about the incident that occurred in the team’s locker room during the only playoff game of the Lewis era, Smith said of Johnson: “He swung on Marvin. . . . [Johnson] shattered the training room glass. . . . He swung on Marving [and] hit Marvin in the eye. . . . Then he tried to swing on wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, who’s now in Baltimore.”

He hasn't been good the last couple of seasons. Easy decision to make considering the money he was making.

They signed Julius Jones on a front - loaded deal to replace him, Jones has done well at Qwest Field and against Seattle before.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
So Alexander out in Seattle? Didnt see that coming.

When you get hurt two years in a row, average 3.5 yards a carry, and get less yards combined in those same 2 years than you did the year before you signed your megacontract, the writing is on the wall. When they bring in two other backs on top of it, it brings it all together.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
Hm..

Is Alexander a fit in Chicago or is he too expensive/risky?

I'm personally just not sure he brings all that much. He had that one great season running behind Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson, but since then, he got his big contract, and seems like he doesn't really do anything. He doesn't seem to push that hard, doesn't make a big difference, and the Seahawks have often looked better without him. If he's cut, I could see bringing him in as a better backup for Benson, but I really wouldn't be excited about it. Could be wrong and it could work, but he just doesn't impress me at all right now.