Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

I dont really know where to put it .. so how about here

Detroit Lions released RB Kevin Jones -- Former 1st rounder 30th pick

Had a great rookie season then just got dominated by injuries. 04 was his only 15 game season 241 rushes 1133 rushing yards

He got released because Lions want to give majority to Tatum Bell -- Jones is only 25(26 in August) and I think he would be a solid pickup

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
According to my friend, who is now a livid Falcons fan, the Raiders just got DHall for their 2ND ROUND PICK.

Al Davis finally got the best of someone.

Man...

Where were the Bears in this? I'd have sacrificed a 2nd rounder for Hall.

Hes also getting a contract slightly smaller than what Asante Samuel got.. I dont know how the Raiders are paying all of this.. They gave Kelly that absurd contract, Javon Walker? Now DeAngelo Hall, and they still have to pay the 4th overall pick

QUOTE(Shadows @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
Hes also getting a contract slightly smaller than what Asante Samuel got.. I dont know how the Raiders are paying all of this.. They gave Kelly that absurd contract, Javon Walker? Now DeAngelo Hall, and they still have to pay the 4th overall pick

The Raiders, from what I've heard on the radio out here, are trying to trade the #4 pick. They want absolutely nothing to do with it. Although I still think they end up taking McFadden if he's on the board.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
Looks like the Steelers best defensive player last year James Harrison could be cut after being arrested and admitting to assault on his girlfriend.

Good riddance.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
You think the Steelers will cut him? I doubt that

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Rooney's have always stood firmly to morals. This woman abuse has become a major problem on this team as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3302774

"We're extremely disappointed with this incident," team chairman Dan Rooney said. "The Steelers do not condone violence of any kind, especially against women."

Earlier this month, Steelers linebacker James Harrison was charged with hitting his girlfriend. He has a preliminary hearing April 3 and remains with the team.

Team spokesman Dave Lockett said the Steelers recognize the circumstances were different. Harrison's dispute began when he argued with his girlfriend about whether to baptize his son. Wilson and the woman he's accused of hitting were also involved in a fight in January.

I dont understand how the circumstances surrounding the situation dictate these completely different reactions. If the Steelers do not condone violence of any kind against women, why is it ok for Harrison because the reason is that they were arguing over baptizing their son? If Wilson suckerpunched his girlfriend because she didnt want to go to church on easter sunday, would that mean that wilson would remain on the team? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

I dont understand how the circumstances surrounding the situation dictate these completely different reactions. If the Steelers do not condone violence of any kind against women, why is it ok for Harrison because the reason is that they were arguing over baptizing their son? If Wilson suckerpunched his girlfriend because she didnt want to go to church on easter sunday, would that mean that wilson would remain on the team? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Good question. I'm not sure what's going on with the team. There are about 5-6 on the team now that have been charged with beating women. I know in the past the older Rooney's wouldn't put up with that, but who knows now.

Edited by Palehosefan

Randy Moss, bad guy?

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1183938077

Randy Moss clearly was settled into his comfort zone, and it had nothing to do with dismissing overmatched defensive backs.

In what admittedly was an emotional, memorable day, the record-setting NFL standout was honored for efforts removed from football. Moss, Marshall University's first Heisman Trophy candidate, capped Friday with an engaging, often jovial speech at the Boys & Girls Club of Huntington annual fundraising dinner. Moss served as guest speaker at the invitation of his Thundering Herd coach, Bobby Pruett, and Elsie Pruett.

Earlier in the afternoon, the U.S. Postal Service unveiled a limited-edition envelope honoring the New England Patriots wideout. He then visited the Boys & Girls Club of Huntington before delivering his message to a packed Pullman Plaza Hotel crowd.

Over and again, the Rand, W.Va., native stressed his commitment to youth-based charities within the Mountain State.

"I feel it's important to get ourselves right," Moss said of putting West Virginia community efforts first.

Moss annually hosts autographs sessions near his hometown and travels busloads of children to amusement parks and sporting events. Friday's recognition for efforts beyond a burgeoning Hall of Fame career led to his tearful response.

"I don't need the pat on the back," Moss said. "The kids do. That's what really got me caught up and emotional, because all I could really think about was growing up and not really having access to anything and now that I have that opportunity to give back -- maybe with my time, a few words, an autograph, a hug, whatever it may be -- I just want people to know that I'm sincere.

"I want you to know that what I'm going to continue to do for the state of West Virginia is all coming from my heart and nowhere else."

The mood was decisively light at Pullman Plaza Hotel, established early by Marshall football coach Mark Snyder. Bobby Pruett was unable to attend because of duties as Virginia's new defensive coordinator, and Snyder filled in. After stepping to the podium, Snyder drew laughter from the crowd and Moss by donning a New England Patriots "hoodie" sweatshirt made popular by Pats coach Bill Belichick.

He then spoke of a Son of Marshall who often averts attention from his community work.

"Class is what you do when you think nobody is looking, and Randy does a lot of things nobody knows about," Snyder said.

Highlighting the evening was a question and answer session with the crowd. Youngsters eagerly grabbed the microphone to speak with Moss, who set an NFL single-season record with 23 touchdown receptions last season.

What sparked his signature touchdown move (spreading his arms apart, palms out) last season? After hearing critics opine that he possibly had lost a step and no longer was a gamebreaker, Moss said he wanted to show he "could still part defenses."

Who was his favorite NFL player growing up? The late Chicago Bear Hall of Fame running back Walter Payton. Moss gladly paid an NFL fine after writing Payton's No. 34 on his towel during a game, a violation of the league dress code.

Friday's common thread, however, was providing opportunities for children. Moss said he'll continue that effort this summer by hosting a first-time golf event at Sleepy Hollow Golf Club in Hurricane.

"I'm not going to stop giving back," Moss said. "I want to start here."

Not big news, but f*** Rotoworld

Titans agreed to terms with LB Josh Stamer, formerly of the Bills.

Stamer agreed to a two-year pact. The 31-year-old former undrafted free agent from North Dakota State will try to help out on special teams.

Bulls***. He's a University of South Dakota alum.

Saying he's from NDSU is a slap in my face.

Here was the Bears' pick at Mocking The Draft;

Closing out our first official five-day week of the SB Nation NFL Mock Draft, the Chicago Bears have selected Illinois RB Rashard Mendenhall with the fourteenth overall selection. WCG of Windy City Gridiron made the selection and explains his rationale:

With the 14th pick the Chicago Bears select Rashard Mendenhall, RB, University of Illinois.

The Bears are in a very enviable situation this draft. The two spots they need most, offensive line and running back, happen to be two of the deepest positions of the draft. I do believe that the Bears will be listening to and calling anybody they can to make a move down, pick up some extra picks. With guys like Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Branden Albert and Gosder Cherilus sitting there in the 20s there is extreme value to make this move.

The responsible GM in me says you must improve you line. Without it, nothing works. But I just can't get past passing up on a potential super star. So I drew up my draft board and decided that if Ryan Clady fell, I'd be responsible. If he did not, I'd indulge and go with the sexy pick. Mendenhall has size and speed. He sees the field well, is a quality pass catcher and an above average blocker. All the things you'd like in a back.

The jury is still out on Cedric Benson, but he is on shaky ground. He is having troubles staying healthy, people are now questioning his heart and work ethic and if you ask this blogger he has a horrible attitude. Adrian Peterson is a fantastic special teams player and a above average receiver, but he hasn't shown the ability to be an every down back.

Currently, the NFC North has Adrian Peterson in Minnesota and Ryan Grant in Green Bay. It would pain me to see the Lions draft Mendenhall, a home town boy no less and have to see these guys 6 times a year. Chicago can not have the worst run came in this division, it is against the laws of nature and if it happens the Earth may very well spin off its axis and go hurdling into the sun.

Matt Miller, host of this site as well as owner of New Era Scouting, provides his analysis below:

I'm trying to channel some good feelings before writing this, but I'm struggling to find them. The Bears are a team with a need at every position on the offensive line, in need of at least one receiver and their defensive tackle position is a mess. So, let's take a running back to compete with the guy we drafted fourth overall three years ago! Cedric Benson hasn't been a world beater as a starter, but he's not had a good quarterback or offensive line in front of him. Even drafting a quarterback here would have been rewarded with an "A+" grade from me. There are too many needs to draft a luxury player like Mendenhall. How is he any different from Benson?

Grade: F :: Rashard Mendenhall Scouting Report - New Era Scouting