Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know alot of people here lately have said that the Bears shouldnt bank on Orton and crown him with our starting QB spot for the next few seasons but I think we can pretty much concede that its going to happen.The Bears want stability at the position which is something I cant remember there being in my lifetime and I think they see the chance with Kyle.Even though he isnt great he is good enough to win a championship with him taking the ball every Sunday.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
What's been Maynard's problem lately? It seems like he has several s***ty punts a game now.

What? He's been AMAZING the last three weeks or so. He had one bad punt yesterday in terrible conditions against the wind and with a roll it still netted 50 some yards. What're you talking about?

Edited by Steve9347

Cedric Benson told reporters he would have 1,800 yards right now if he was running through the holes that Matt Forte has been running through in Chicago.

He has a better chance at 1,800 DWIs. Wherever he goes, the holes seem to close much more quickly. Using his career 3.6 yards per carry, it would take the delusional Benson exactly 500 carries to reach his lofty projections.

He's delusional.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
I know alot of people here lately have said that the Bears shouldnt bank on Orton and crown him with our starting QB spot for the next few seasons but I think we can pretty much concede that its going to happen.The Bears want stability at the position which is something I cant remember there being in my lifetime and I think they see the chance with Kyle.Even though he isnt great he is good enough to win a championship with him taking the ball every Sunday.

I agree with this, but they are so far away from that stage. You need an above average running back (they appear to have that) to win with Orton, but you also need good wide receivers, and the Bears have the worst ones in the league. You also need a strong defense in support, and overall, the Bears defense right now is simply old and expensive. It will take a while to get the supporting cast you would need for an Orton run team to be a championship contender at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
What? He's been AMAZING the last three weeks or so. He had one bad punt yesterday in terrible conditions against the wind and with a roll it still netted 50 some yards. What're you talking about?

Could just be selective memory but it seems like he's been having a rough year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
He's delusional.

He was b****ing about how he never played in the slot when he was here too. The reason Forte plays in the slot is because he can. Benson didn't play there because you don't want to put slow people with stone hands in there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
Took a total of 2.5 seasons for him to truly become unhappy there and decide it was time to rip apart the offense. Longer than expected I'd say.

I love how everyone pretty much had the Cowboys winning it all this year after their start. TO always destroys teams. Remember how happy he was with McNabb to start things out, and then he turned on him?

You're seeing the same thing here.

Bears placed RB Garrett Wolfe on injured reserve with a torn hamstring, ending his season.

:( :( :( :( :(

As an NIU alum, this makes me sad. I still get to enjoy Falcons games, but Garrett winding up on the Bears was quite a happy moment. Hopefully he's back with the team next year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
:( :( :( :( :(

As an NIU alum, this makes me sad. I still get to enjoy Falcons games, but Garrett winding up on the Bears was quite a happy moment. Hopefully he's back with the team next year.

He went to my younger brother's HS. Holy Cross? Now it's called Guerrin Prep. Anyway, I have a framed G wolfe autograph my brother gave me when Garret made a visit to his school.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
Throwing the ball away while in the pocket would be a penalty and they'd run 10 seconds off the clock, right?

What's been Maynard's problem lately? It seems like he has several s***ty punts a game now.

If he throws it through the back of the endzone it's not intentional grounding. I'm convinced that Kyle Orton has no clock in his head which is real scary.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
If he throws it through the back of the endzone it's not intentional grounding. I'm convinced that Kyle Orton has no clock in his head which is real scary.

I'm willing to bet that Orton knew we had a time out left. If he steps up and throws it out of the end zone, that takes longer than going down and calling a time out.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
I'm willing to bet that Orton knew we had a time out left. If he steps up and throws it out of the end zone, that takes longer than going down and calling a time out.

Except he didn't take a knee or just go down, he made a run for it and fought to stay up while being tackled. Hell since the Bears had a timeout left he could have just spiked the ball, they would have called intentional grounding but there would be no 10 second runoff since the Bears still held a timeout.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
Except he didn't take a knee or just go down, he made a run for it and fought to stay up while being tackled. Hell since the Bears had a timeout left he could have just spiked the ball, they would have called intentional grounding but there would be no 10 second runoff since the Bears still held a timeout.

The Bears still had the timeout at that point, and I'm pretty sure that if you have a timeout in a spot like that, you can use it in order to avoid a 10 second runoff even if a foul with such a runoff occurs, for whatever it's worth.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I love how everyone pretty much had the Cowboys winning it all this year after their start. TO always destroys teams. Remember how happy he was with McNabb to start things out, and then he turned on him?

What a stupid soap opera that team is. "He said this, he said that, he doesnt throw to me" Blah blah blah. Sucks to have to be a fan of a team that acts like that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)

Lets not forget what he did to Garcia in San Francisco. The thing about it is that Owens doesnt make it about the game, he makes it extremely personal and does it all through the media. I wish there was a glitch in his career that he didnt win a superbowl so that he wouldnt be so insufferable AND a winner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
What a stupid soap opera that team is. "He said this, he said that, he doesnt throw to me" Blah blah blah. Sucks to have to be a fan of a team that acts like that.

Eh, as a fan I'm almost over it. I just wanna see some winning actually go on. Moan all you want, just bring home a W.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
The Bears still had the timeout at that point, and I'm pretty sure that if you have a timeout in a spot like that, you can use it in order to avoid a 10 second runoff even if a foul with such a runoff occurs, for whatever it's worth.

That's exactly what I posted.