Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
Would of been nice to eliminate the Bears but I'll take the better pick.

7 f***ing games lost this year by 4 points or less, inexcusable.

You guys have another keeper at QB in Rodgers, though. Grant is a very good back and Jennings, Jones, and Driver are all very good WR's. Just some changes here and there and you guys will be back in the double digit win column again next year.

:cheers to a good game in the end. Could a Bears/Packers game have started (cold weather) and ended (OT FG for the win) any better?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
I think you're right...actually, wasn't it some player we had just activated that week? Someone blamed it on Tillman on the radio today, but I'm not positive.

It was Marcus Hamilton, signed off waivers from the Bucs the week before, who took the short read away (fullback i believe going into the flat) instead of sticking with the WR on the deep out-route. He was supposed to give up the short stuff b/c it wouldn't have gotten them in FG range, but f***ed up. I hate dumb players. It's one thing if they just don't have the speed, etc. to stay with someone, but mental errors make me more angry than anything.

Great, great win. Hey, who would have thought we would be playing meaningful football in week 17 at the beginning of the season?

As for the QB talk, Orton has been terrible lately, but he's not the only problem. The bears have the worst receiving corps in the NFL and a terrible O-line. I would love for Jeremy Maclin to be available when we draft. I still wouldn't mind adding a QB in the first few rounds of the draft (Nate Davis is a guy I like).

Kornheiser was talking about how the offense sucked and the booing was half-hearted because the fans are so used to it they don't have the energy to be mad anymore. Later he talked about how the WRs were ranked 29th in the NFL and the Chicago fans had to be thinking "tell me something I don't know?" because it's the same thing every year with this team. Kornheiser is a terrible announcer, but he was spot-on with this.

Kornheiser is just brutal when it comes to talking about Favre. If there is ANY connection to Favre, Kornheiser will beat the point down with a hammer. It was just disgusting last night, I had to mute the last quarter and OT and put on Joniak

He's not as bad as Madden.

I facepalmed when they showed the "would the Packers be in the playoffs question without Favre"? question. Something like 60% of the country said yes. Really? So you downgrade to a less productive QB who throws more interceptions and that gets you in the playoffs? I guess Favre plays defense too.

Rodgers is the answer for that team, plain and simple. IMO they did absolutely the right thing by finally calling Favre on his drama queen act.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 07:42 AM)
He's not as bad as Madden.

I facepalmed when they showed the "would the Packers be in the playoffs question without Favre"? question. Something like 60% of the country said yes. Really? So you downgrade to a less productive QB who throws more interceptions and that gets you in the playoffs? I guess Favre plays defense too.

Rodgers is the answer for that team, plain and simple. IMO they did absolutely the right thing by finally calling Favre on his drama queen act.

The last two weeks he has been equally as bad if not worse

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
Great, great win. Hey, who would have thought we would be playing meaningful football in week 17 at the beginning of the season?

As for the QB talk, Orton has been terrible lately, but he's not the only problem. The bears have the worst receiving corps in the NFL and a terrible O-line. I would love for Jeremy Maclin to be available when we draft. I still wouldn't mind adding a QB in the first few rounds of the draft (Nate Davis is a guy I like).

It looks like Orton still isn't throwing off of his back foot very hard. Maybe the injury is still hampering him somewhat. That doesn't explain why he was staring down receivers and throwing the ball directly to Woodson, though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
It looks like Orton still isn't throwing off of his back foot very hard. Maybe the injury is still hampering him somewhat. That doesn't explain why he was staring down receivers and throwing the ball directly to Woodson, though.

Yeah, I dont think his foot is hurting his judgment on his throws. He isnt making good reads right now.

The Bears are either really well coached or really lucky, and since I think most answers lie in the middle, I'll say it's a mix of both along with the fact that the NFL is just a mediocre league in terms of team quality. I know they LOOK like a dumb, poorly coached team, but they just aren't very talented AT ALL and aren't performing all that well to boot, yet they are somehow 9-6. It's pretty incredible, and hopefully next week is fun and they find a way to get into the playoffs. Regardless of what happens though, Angelo has a lot of work to do and will have a busy offseason because this team has holes at almost every position.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
The Bears are either really well coached or really lucky, and since I think most answers lie in the middle, I'll say it's a mix of both along with the fact that the NFL is just a mediocre league in terms of team quality. I know they LOOK like a dumb, poorly coached team, but they just aren't very talented AT ALL and aren't performing all that well to boot, yet they are somehow 9-6. It's pretty incredible, and hopefully next week is fun and they find a way to get into the playoffs. Regardless of what happens though, Angelo has a lot of work to do and will have a busy offseason because this team has holes at almost every position.

They are still loaded with talent on defense, they are underachieving due to poor coaching.

On offense they're overachieving, for that they have Matt Forte to thank. I only wish Forte had a legit backup (for whatever reason, they don't seem like Kevin Jones, although I do).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
They are still loaded with talent on defense, they are underachieving due to poor coaching.

On offense they're overachieving, for that they have Matt Forte to thank. I only wish Forte had a legit backup (for whatever reason, they don't seem like Kevin Jones, although I do).

There are holes at literally every position on offense except tight end. Even at RB, they better find a backup to Forte or he's going to be beaten out of the league in 3 or 4 years due to all the hits. The offense hasn't really overachieved since Orton got hurt though, they have pretty much sucked since then, although they have come up with points when they had to the last couple of weeks.

As for the defense, you can say they are still loaded with talent and have a legitimate argument because of past production. The problem is, the defense is getting older in a hurry and it has players who got paid and appear to have lost interest as well. The pass rush has MAJOR issues that will need to be addressed, this team only has one linebacker that I think you can count on right now in Lance Briggs, and although I think the scheme has caused a lot of the problem I am about to mention (to your point), the pass defense has been pretty atrocious this year, with the lone bright spot being Corey Graham.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Before Mike Brown left with his calf injury I thought he was playing great. I think most of the problems on D stem from the bad pass rush. For most of the year, Tommie Harris has been garbage. Dusty was a stout NT, but not much of a pass rusher. Marcus Harrison's looked pretty good as a pass rusher, not sure about as a run stopper though b/c I haven't been watching him. Mark Anderson looks really average, Ogunleye's having a down year after his beast of an '07, Alex Brown has been very good. Bad pass rush is like cancer to a Cover 2 scheme. Babich's playcalling makes it worse.

The offensive line isn't a complete disaster, after watching Chris Williams I'd say he was more of a question mark than a hole, and I like Josh Beekman. Garza and Kreutz aren't going anywhere whether we like it or not. Tait's been acceptable on the right side but it's time to look for his replacement. St. Clair has been awful, had not had the Chris Williams injury fiasco it wouldn't have been an issue.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)

How are they overachieving on offense, we had what an entire 48 yards of offense the first half. Besides the Detroit/Minny game our offense has been pretty brutal.