MLB scheduling - WTF?!

knightni

Okay, every damn year games get rained/snowed out or people freeze their asses off in the first two weeks of the season. What did mlb do this year?

Why help that along of course!

Tampa Bay Rays - warm climate and a dome:

Mon, Mar 31 @Balt 3:05 PM

Wed, Apr 02 @Balt 7:05 PM

Thu, Apr 03 @Balt 7:05 PM

Fri, Apr 04 @NYY 7:05 PM

Sat, Apr 05 @NYY TBA

Sun, Apr 06 @NYY 1:05 PM

Mon, Apr 07 @NYY 7:05 PM

Toronto Blue Jays - dome team:

Mon, Mar 31 @NYY 1:05 PM

Wed, Apr 02 @NYY 7:05 PM

Thu, Apr 03 @NYY 7:05 PM

Minnesota Twins - dome:

Mon, Apr 07 @CHW 4:05 PM

Wed, Apr 09 @CHW 8:11 PM

Thu, Apr 10 @CHW 8:11 PM

LA Angels - nice weather

Mon, Mar 31 @Min 8:10 PM

Tue, Apr 01 @Min 8:10 PM

Wed, Apr 02 @Min 8:05 PM

Thu, Apr 03 @Min 1:10 PM

Texas Rangers - decent weather

Mon, Mar 31 @Sea 6:40 PM

Tue, Apr 01 @Sea 10:10 PM

Wed, Apr 02 @Sea 10:10 PM

Fri, Apr 04 @LAA 10:05 PM

Sat, Apr 05 @LAA 9:05 PM

Sun, Apr 06 @LAA 3:35 PM

Seattle Mariners - dome

Mon, Mar 31 Tex 6:40 PM

Tue, Apr 01 Tex 10:10 PM

Wed, Apr 02 Tex 10:10 PM

Fri, Apr 04 @Balt 7:05 PM

Sat, Apr 05 @Balt 7:05 PM

Sun, Apr 06 @Balt 1:35 PM

Mon, Apr 07 @Balt 7:05 PM

It goes on, but you get the point.

They're sceduling dome/warm weather teams either vs. other dome/warm weather teams or on the road in icebergs like NYC, BOS and CHI.

In major league baseball, there are exactly enough warmish weather/dome teams to support two 4 game homestands at the beginning of the season.

Angels Astros

Athletics Braves

BlueJays Brewers

Rays Marlins

Mariners D'Backs

Rangers Dodgers

Twins Giants

Padres

I don't see why these 15 locations just can't be rotated so that the season can start on March 24 or something so that the World Series doesn't have to end in November.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Minnesota Twins - dome:

Mon, Apr 07 @CHW 4:05 PM

Wed, Apr 09 @CHW 8:11 PM

Thu, Apr 10 @CHW 8:11 PM

So when exactly do you want the Sox to make their Home Opener? June?

The Sox home opener in '05 (April 4th) is still one of the most pleasant games I've ever attended.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)

The Sox home opener in '05 (April 4th) is still one of the most pleasant games I've ever attended.

I'm just giving examples.

The Sox can play opening day the 9th or 13th game of the season. They'll get more home games later to balance it out.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)

I was there and I agree. Scored our only run on an error, Mark Buehrle got the win, Shingo with the gong save. It was a beautiful day.

Looking at how our team has done over the past few seasons, it'd be more advantageous, if the Sox were on the road for the majority of the 1st 2 months of the season.

They could really make a charge midway through the season, playing a lot of games at home in the warmer weather, where our hitters would surely put up better numbers.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
yeah, cause the weather is so predictable 2 months in advance... it can be pleasent or horrible as f*** outside. These players should deal with it anyway, as they get paid MILLIONS to play a sport. If they can't handle the weather then boo-freaking-hoo.

The players would play; it's the owners who want their investments protected from absolute s*** conditions like that.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
yeah, cause the weather is so predictable 2 months in advance... it can be pleasent or horrible as f*** outside. These players should deal with it anyway, as they get paid MILLIONS to play a sport. If they can't handle the weather then boo-freaking-hoo.

Yeah til Sweeney sprains his vagina in the cold weather.

Or worse, Fields or Buehrle pull hammys.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe after all the snow-outs last year there was a short study of some sort which suggested that all you had to do was avoid playing a home game in like the first 10 days of the season in a few cities (Chicago, Minny, Cleveland) and you pretty much bypass the chances of losing whole series as happened with Cleveland last year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
I believe after all the snow-outs last year there was a short study of some sort which suggested that all you had to do was avoid playing a home game in like the first 10 days of the season in a few cities (Chicago, Minny, Cleveland) and you pretty much bypass the chances of losing whole series as happened with Cleveland last year.

Why Minny? They have a dome. Plus the Sox open in Cleveland.

Apparently, the study matters bupkis.

Also, I don't care if the players and owners want to play on an iceberg in February, I just won't be there in person until it's about 60 degrees out.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
Why Minny? They have a dome. Plus the Sox open in Cleveland.

Apparently, the study matters bupkis.

Also, I don't care if the players and owners want to play on an iceberg in February, I just won't be there in person until it's about 60 degrees out.

Because...in about a year or two, Minnesota is opening a fancy new open air stadium.