Your official Cub predictions for '08?

shipps

When I look at their current team excluding my hate for their franchise I have to say they have a legitimate shot at finally ending the drought.I think we all agree that they should win the NL central,it will be the weakest division in baseball once again.The Cubs have a well balanced lineup and will be even more balanced when they add Brian Roberts.The subtraction of Jaque Jones and the addition of Fukedome should enhance their lineup and improve their defense.The bullpen should be solid once again and especially when they could figure out the closer role between Howry and Marmol at the backend of it.Outside of Arizona I think their SP atleast has the potential to match up with the rest of the NL.I PREDICT THEY WILL WIN THE PENNANT!............................................................Oh wait there is still this http://www.murphys-laws.com/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they still have a lot of question marks:

Will Soriano's leg ailment linger, and what do they do for a leadoff hitter if Soriano's leg is not sound and Brian Roberts is not acquired?

Is Ryan Dempster a major-league starter any more, when he was barely passable as a starter many years and injuries ago?

Will Fukudome adjust and flourish in the major leagues?

Is Ryan Theriot more than a one-year wonder?

Is Geovany Soto more than a half-year wonder?

Who will assume the closer role?

Is this the year Pie busts out, or just busts? If not Pie, then who? Fuld?

They have a talented team, but they're not a lock for anything. Not even their division - the Brewers are similarly talented and similarly questionable.

I'd give them a slight nod over Milwaukee, but they'll need a hot start to gain momentum and confidence.

Edited by The Critic

I think this team has Cubs 2004 written all over it. Plenty of hype and enthusiasm, but I just dont see the pennant at the end of the road. Something is gonna happen, probably related to the starting staff, and the Cubs are going to have to bash their way to wins. They have a really good lineup, but I dont know that it can carry the team for the entire year.

Im thinking at best the Cubs win the wildcard, but I dont see it happening

Now, how long until someone posts "Who cares about the Cubs?!?!"

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
Who cares about the Cubs? haha

I think they'll finish behind the Brewers this year, I have no ideal what the Cardinals are going to do. But I don't see the playoffs in their future, at least not through this crystal ball.

I hate to say it, but the Cardinals look horrible this year.

I'd guess 4th place for the Birds, as much as it pains me to think about it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
I hate to say it, but the Cardinals look horrible this year.

I'd guess 4th place for the Birds, as much as it pains me to think about it.

Dang, I haven't paid too much attention to them this off season so I didn't know they were that bad. That's such a terrible division. Maybe the Reds can surprise people.......but doubtful.

I'd give a slight nod to the Cubs over the Brewers because of their pitching. And I don't think all of the Brewers hitters can match their performance from last year.

I still do not buy the Fukudome addition. He's projected to put up an OPS of something like .820 which, in my opinion, is about right. The Murton/Floyd platoon put up an OPS of about .795 for $8 million less in 08, and more in future years.

I hope they win the World Series. Them or Milwaukee. Or Atlanta. Or the White Sox.

I think they'll win the division, but Milwaukee has a good chance at it for sure.

/Reinsdorf OR Kenny -- one or the other, I forget -- said they'd like to see the Cubs win it, if not the White Sox, after 05, so please spare me any "OMG!"zzZZzzzzZZzzzz

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
I hope they win the World Series. Them or Milwaukee. Or Atlanta. Or the White Sox.

I think they'll win the division, but Milwaukee has a good chance at it for sure.

/Reinsdorf OR Kenny -- one or the other, I forget -- said they'd like to see the Cubs win it, if not the White Sox, after 05, so please spare me any "OMG!"zzZZzzzzZZzzzz

I cant wait to see the excited cub fans with the its going to happen crap when they face Johan or Webb and Haren in a short series. When their butts pucker up with 100 years of sucking so we can see more sad cub fan faces. LOL

I figure they will win the division and get rocked out of the first round if they face the Mets or the West. Their best bet is that they face someone without a dominant one or 2 who can shut down their Offense.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:48 AM)
"162-0 followed by 11-0 in the playoffs."

-fathom

I figured this was coming...I guess I deserve it. Buster Olney predicted an Indians/Cubs World Series today. I'm going with a Red Sox/Mets WS. I think the Cubs will go 88-74, and win the NL Central. And FWIW, my Sox projected record is 72-90. We might have the worst 3-5 starting rotation in all of baseball.

The cubs were swept by the D'Backs without Hudson, Haren and Johnson. The D'Backs add Haren and if RJ is healthy they are the best team in baseball. The Mets could make a push as well.

Some of the NL rotations are much better as after Big Z the other guys are all average. Any injury issue to the cub and it could be along year.

I also think the Indians are really overrated by the way.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
I think they are still very underrated, even considering they were a game away from going to the World Series last year.

People have mentioned them being underrated so much that I know pronounce than overrated.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
Buster Olney predicted an Indians/Cubs World Series today.

So cute. You know if the Red Sox hadn't ended their drought in 2004, the prediction would have been Red Sox v. Cubs in the W.S. His prediction is not terribly far fetched, but it is still tinged with sentimental b.s. about suffering franchises and fan bases. Maybe they win it all, maybe they suck, maybe they find something new and creative to add to their lore of curses. I don't care as long as I do not have to hear about it as frequently as the weather.