Cubs may play at The Cell?

DaTank

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
Honestly, for a 1 year thing, I wouldn't mind this at all. This would be a great way to market the Sox to all the Cub fans who have never been anywhere but historic Wrigley Field. Some of them would come back.

^^^

And this has been a given for a while. Wrigley needs serious work or a rebuild, and the only real alternative is the Cell.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
^^^

And this has been a given for a while. Wrigley needs serious work or a rebuild, and the only real alternative is the Cell.

Why not Soldier Field, like the good old days?

Well look at the bright side, Pratt can start a thread. "I had fun at the cell"

As long as some of the money that comes from them being there can be applied to the sox and their bottom line sure. I can imagine though the shock and horror when they pee on someone's lawn in Bridgeport and get their clock cleaned.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)

A number of reasons. One, it would have to be constantly configured for baseball, then reconfigured for other events. Two, Soldier is actually heavily used in the summer for a variety of things, so scheduling would be a nightmare. Third, the playing surface is not ready for baseball. Hell, its barely ready for football. Fourth, you's start conflicting with the Bears come August. Fifth, the seating is really not conducive to a small field.

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
As long as we get a cut of the money for their ticket sales and concessions and everything, I say do it.

The stadium belongs to the Illinois Sports Authority, not the Sox. The Sox lease time in the stadium - Cubs would have to do the same. The money may help the Sox indirectly - more funds for improvements, some sticky fans as Balta said... but directly, no cash for the Sox.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but, when did the Cubs play in Soldier Field?

I know that the Bears played football at Wrigley, but I'd never heard it the other way around.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but, when did the Cubs play in Soldier Field?

I know that the Bears played football at Wrigley, but I'd never heard it the other way around.

My bad, it was the Bears that played at Wrigley, not the Cubs at Soldier Field.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
The stadium belongs to the Illinois Sports Authority, not the Sox. The Sox lease time in the stadium - Cubs would have to do the same. The money may help the Sox indirectly - more funds for improvements, some sticky fans as Balta said... but directly, no cash for the Sox.

Who sells the ads in the stadium?

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
I really wouldn't want the bastard, drunk, Cub fans at the Cell. This is just one example, some drunk a-hole sliding through the urinals. ***king sick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfV6Yo2-q0o

Hate to break it to you, but I've seen things similar that at the Cell as well.

Those bathrooms are damn nasty during/after games sometimes.

Plus some people when they partake in beverages, don't know their limits.

I've been a casualty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in a beer fight at the Cell before. Not pretty.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Hate to break it to you, but I've seen things similar that at the Cell as well.

Those bathrooms are damn nasty during/after games sometimes.

Plus some people when they partake in beverages, don't know their limits.

I've been a casualty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in a beer fight at the Cell before. Not pretty.

I completely agree, but I have never seen anyone put their face in the urinal or something disgusting like that at a game. I'd rather see a sloppy drunk fight any day than someone sliding through hundreds of guys' piss.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Honestly, for a 1 year thing, I wouldn't mind this at all. This would be a great way to market the Sox to all the Cub fans who have never been anywhere but historic Wrigley Field. Some of them would come back.

It'd be worth it to force their fans look at the 2005 World Champion banner every time they went to a Cubs game.

"Who's your daddy?" :lol:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)

that's exactly what i thought when i read that - i can say from experience that i took my nephews, who live 3 miles from Wrigley, to a game in '05 and they've returned each season as a result. Although they're cub fans, they have a great time at the cell, especially the fundamentals thing.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
They need to build the Olympic Stadium so that the Cubs can use it while they gut the Urinal.

We'll know about the Olympic status by next year I think, right?

The cities go down to like 2 or 3 finalists this year, then I think the final decision is early in 2009. But they won't start building the new arena for a while I'm pretty sure.