Cubs may play at The Cell?

DaTank

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
The cities go down to like 2 or 3 finalists this year, then I think the final decision is early in 2009. But they won't start building the new arena for a while I'm pretty sure.

Knowing Chicago/Illinois politics, they'll drag it on until they have to do it.

If they get the 2016 Olympics, that means that they won't break ground until 2013 probably.

Can Wrigley hold up for 8/9 years more?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cell is too good for them. If the cubs want the same quality as wrigley they should look into kane county cougars stadium. Cubs fans would love it, they would be mystified by the grassy hill behind the left foul line so they could keep up the tradition of not watching the game. They also might sacrifice their aweing and cell phone talking when they announce derek lees name as he strolls to the dish.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
The Cell is too good for them. If the cubs want the same quality as wrigley they should look into kane county cougars stadium. Cubs fans would love it, they would be mystified by the grassy hill behind the left foul line so they could keep up the tradition of not watching the game. They also might sacrifice their aweing and cell phone talking when they announce derek lees name as he strolls to the dish.

Yes, but can Kane County's stadium be expanded to support 40,000?

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Hate to break it to you, but I've seen things similar that at the Cell as well.

Those bathrooms are damn nasty during/after games sometimes.

Plus some people when they partake in beverages, don't know their limits.

I've been a casualty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in a beer fight at the Cell before. Not pretty.

And he is definately too young to remember some of the nasty crazy stuff that happened at the orginal Comiskey Park. The Picnic area was the bleacher bums before Wrigley was cool.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
And he is definately too young to remember some of the nasty crazy stuff that happened at the orginal Comiskey Park. The Picnic area was the bleacher bums before Wrigley was cool.

True.

I wasn't even talking about Comiskey either.

Those bathrooms made Wrigley's look friendly.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)

Isn't Alexian Field in Schaumburg supposed to be modeled after Wrigley?

after checking, yes it it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexian_Field

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
If the cubs want the same quality as wrigley they should look into kane county cougars stadium. Cubs fans would love it, they would be mystified by the grassy hill behind the left foul line so they could keep up the tradition of not watching the game.

I have personally picked up peanut shells off of that lawn.

*takes a bow

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
Wouldn't this cause a huge scheduling problem? In order to have a nice homestand, the other team would have to have an extra long road trip.

Unless the Cubs wanted to keep their day game tradition. Then you could do day-night Cubs-Sox doubleheaders. Plus, Cubs fans probably are too scared to be on the South Side after dark. They definitely couldn't do that for a long homestand, but they could probably do it for 3 games at a time.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
Wouldn't this cause a huge scheduling problem? In order to have a nice homestand, the other team would have to have an extra long road trip.

I could be wrong about this, but I think it's rare that the Sox and Cubs are both at home at the same time. Teams have a couple long home stands and road trips, so I don't think it would be a huge deal.

I'd be more worried about the field. They'd be using it everyday for the whole season.

QUOTE(G&T @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
I could be wrong about this, but I think it's rare that the Sox and Cubs are both at home at the same time. Teams have a couple long home stands and road trips, so I don't think it would be a huge deal.

I'd be more worried about the field. They'd be using it everyday for the whole season.

The field doesn't worry me. We have Roger Bossard.

The one thing that worries me is rainouts/makeup games. Those would be tough to schedule because someone would probably be using the park on any day off.

Let em play here. Let's welcome them in with open arms and make them feel like they're at home. Turn off the jumbotron, close all parking lots, close half the bathrooms, and only sell hot dogs and popcorn at the concession stands. As an added bonus, I'll volunteer to drop bricks on people's heads periodically throughout each game.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
Florida owes us too
I'm a sox fan but I would welcome the thought of the cubs playing one season at the cell. First it brings the possibility of the cubs having a great team and possibly winning the world series. Especially if the northsiders haven't won in the years before playing at the cell. Since the cubs have never won a world series at Wrigley their losing ways. Imagine waiting over 100 years for a world series and then win it the series at the cell. I also see the possiblility of the cell drawing 3 to 4 million in a single year. Wouldn't matter to me where the profits go. Another possibility is the world series sox vs. the cubs at the cell that year for it all.... Im not nostrodamus but if both the cubs and sox played at the cell we would probably see more attractions, restaurants and bars being built around the cell. Edited by forrestg

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
I don't even know if this idea is even true, but I do know the White Sox have some sort of power that could block it from happening and if you remember when the concrete started falling at Wrigley, Reinsdorf made it clear the Cubs wouldn't be at USCF.

Well, the Sox don't own the stadium. Are you thinking maybe their lease has some sort of first-refusal stipulation in it or something? Or maybe that JR would just use his sway with the owners to not approve such a move?

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)

I was thinking the same thing. You would think some of the scheduling would cross at some point and things would have to be moved around. Basically the entire MLB schedule would have to be shuffled to accomodate the Chicago teams.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
I was thinking the same thing. You would think some of the scheduling would cross at some point and things would have to be moved around. Basically the entire MLB schedule would have to be shuffled to accomodate the Chicago teams.

It really wouldn't be that big of a deal, they usually both aren't home on the same dates very often.