Sox @ D-Backs 2/29

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
I'm sure it was some kind of botched play. I'd guess a 3-2 count where we struck out and the catcher missed the ball. No way it was a clean steal. If it was, Oz should be fired for having Jimmy voluntarily run.

Well AJ just got caught. :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
I hope you're joking. If not, Guillen is proving further that he's an idiot.

Well unless gameday is wrong, he was. It was on an 0-2 pitch to Fields which he struck out on.

QUOTE(Cowch @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Well unless gameday is wrong, he was. It was on an 0-2 pitch to Fields which he struck out on.

So with a guy who struck out 125 times in 408 plate appearances last season at the plate with an 0-2 count, the Sox decided it was a good time to try and have A.J. Pierzynski steal a base? Makes sense. :unsure:

Edited by lvjeremylv

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
So with a guy who struck out over 100 times in 2/3 of a season at the plate with an 0-2 count, the Sox decided it was a good time to try and have A.J. Pierzynski steal a base? Makes sense. :unsure:

As long as he's not pulling things like that during the season, I'm fine.

QUOTE(Cowch @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
As long as he's not pulling things like that during the season, I'm fine.

You're fine with inane decisions by the manager of our team? I'm not.

Would you "be fine" if he decided to play Thome at 1B to get some work in for him on fielding grounders? Or how about putting our backup catcher at 1B...oh wait, that already happened last season.

Spring training is the time you play with lineups, showcase some trade bait (sadly, like Joe Crede), get a look at some of our youngsters, etc. It is NOT the time you practice things that will not be taking place during the regular season. AJ should NEVER be trying to steal a base. A hit and run with a guy like Cabrera hitting would be fine, but with an 0-2 count and Josh Fields at the plate, the only guy we have that I would be OK trying to steal a base would be Owens. At least that makes some kind of sense.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
I think we need to get Toby Hall more time at 1B this spring.

Thank you. At least someone here sees that ST isn't designed to do stupid things. The ONLY thing that can come of having guys like Thome or AJ steal a base is a pulled hamstring or worse.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
So with a guy who struck out 125 times in 408 plate appearances last season at the plate with an 0-2 count, the Sox decided it was a good time to try and have A.J. Pierzynski steal a base? Makes sense. :unsure:

I doubt it was a straight steal.

The sox should trade MacDougal sooner rather than later, before teams really get a chance to look at him. I'd rather see Wasserman take over the 6th, 7th, Roogy than have Mac around to load the bases up. As stange as it may seem, I bet the sox could get a prospect for him.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
I think we need to get Toby Hall more time at 1B this spring.

Toby Hall is still on this team? Where the hell is he? I guess they're keeping him under wraps in case AJ and Thome get hurt...you know, stealing bases.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
The sox should trade MacDougal sooner rather than later, before teams really get a chance to look at him. I'd rather see Wasserman take over the 6th, 7th, Roogy than have Mac around to load the bases up. As stange as it may seem, I bet the sox could get a prospect for him.

The White Sox have a long tradition of hanging onto relievers past their expiration date. In recent memory, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts ...

QUOTE(heirdog @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Damn, MacDougal just annoys me. I'm glad Lumsden and Cortes haven't panned out (yet) because I really hated that trade at the time, even though he was good in his stint with us in '06. I guess he reminds me of Billy Koch...less intimidating but a hard, STRAIGHT ball that gets rocked.

How in the world did Thome get a SB? I would have thought that the day I saw Thome get a SB, he would have been traded and running against the battery of Contreras and Pierzynski.

im not gonna make any excuses for macdougal, but i guarantee you his problem is not a STRAGHT fastball....its his inability to locate his fastball that still has nice tail (in fact ill bet that his fastball has more movement than just about everyone in our pen except wasserman), and his inability to throw a breaking ball....i remember when this guy first came up with KC and his slider was just absolutely filthy...just one of those breaking balls that opposing hitters just had no shot on when he located it...of course that was always his problem with it, location...he got in trouble cuz he could never get it over

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
The White Sox have a long tradition of hanging onto relievers past their expiration date. In recent memory, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts ...

damn, thats pretty harsh if you ask me....the sox cut bait on those guys pretty quickly i thought....i mean who knew what their expiration date was? they were dynamite in 05...had a bad 06 and the sox got rid of em...id say they really didnt hold on to em too long...i mean if you want to blame them for not foreseeing the fact that their "expiration date" had past sometime during the offseason before 06...then sure, but all the signs said those guys would be at least dependable in 06...so im not gonna blame the white sox for not foreseeing it...no GM could have predicted that, and if they could have, theyd have many, many WS rings

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
damn, thats pretty harsh if you ask me....the sox cut bait on those guys pretty quickly i thought....i mean who knew what their expiration date was? they were dynamite in 05...had a bad 06 and the sox got rid of em...id say they really didnt hold on to em too long...i mean if you want to blame them for not foreseeing the fact that their "expiration date" had past sometime during the offseason before 06...then sure, but all the signs said those guys would be at least dependable in 06...so im not gonna blame the white sox for not foreseeing it...no GM could have predicted that, and if they could have, theyd have many, many WS rings

I'm not saying they should have necessarily seen it before the season as the fact that they kept throwing those guys out to get beat up when it was apparent that they had nothing left to offer. Billy Koch is another example.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
Damn, MacDougal just annoys me. I'm glad Lumsden and Cortes haven't panned out (yet) because I really hated that trade at the time, even though he was good in his stint with us in '06. I guess he reminds me of Billy Koch...less intimidating but a hard, STRAIGHT ball that gets rocked.

How in the world did Thome get a SB? I would have thought that the day I saw Thome get a SB, he would have been traded and running against the battery of Contreras and Pierzynski.

Cortes stock is sky high right now.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
I'm not saying they should have necessarily seen it before the season as the fact that they kept throwing those guys out to get beat up when it was apparent that they had nothing left to offer. Billy Koch is another example.

My guess is most teams can be accused of the same crime when it comes to relief pitchers. They are typically up and down from year to year. Only the Twins come to mind when it comes to a team that consistently has a solid bullpen and that seems to have far more to do with their emphasis on throwing strikes consistently than the quality of the pitcher. I rarely see any player leave their organization and perform better or as well as when they were in MN. Ortiz is the only guy I can think of that excelled out of the Twin cities. Knoblauch was so so, Hawkins sucked real bad. Jury is out on Hunter and Santana.