County Board Passes Budget

HuskyCaucasian

http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/cook.count...t.2.666551.html

Ok, I need some clarification:

After battling for five months, the Cook County Board has voted to double the county's sales tax, bringing the overall sales tax in Chicago to be the highest of any major U.S. city at 10.25 percent.

Well, I live in Roselle (but do most shopping in Schaumburg), looks like I will be doing more shopping in DuPage county now.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put this in perspective:

If I good to Woodfield and buy a $1000 computer from the Apple Store, prior to this, the county tax was .75 percent. So, I would have payed $7.50 in county taxes. Now, it is 1.75% and I would have to pay $17.50!!!

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)

If I good to Woodfield and buy a $1000 computer from the Apple Store, prior to this, the county tax was .75 percent. So, I would have payed $7.50 in county taxes. Now, it is 1.75% and I would have to pay $17.50!!!

lol, why not just raise taxes more. make that $1000 computer have $35 in extra tax. It's ONLY 35 dollars. But why stop there? juice it to $70, you can afford a measley $70 dollars right?

Cook County Board has voted to double the county's sales tax, bringing the overall sales tax in Chicago to be the highest of any major U.S. city at 10.25 percent.

that is such crap

Edited by mr_genius

So what? It's $10 more on a $1000 purchase. How much do you spend a year on products like this, $3000-5000? That's an extra $1 a week.

Don't like the taxes? Buy s*** online. I've been doing it for years now. Free shipping too.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
lol, why not just raise taxes more. make that $1000 computer have $35 in extra tax. It's ONLY 35 dollars. But why stop there? juice it to $70, you can afford a measley $70 dollars right?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/8201...t022908.article

Stroger had been one vote away from hiking the sales tax to 2.75 percent and, after months of bartering, said he refused to come below 2 percent.

To hike it 2% would have caused an out right mutiny!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Indiana welcomes Cook County with its 6% sales taxes, and much lower property taxes :)

You really will see a shift if something like that starts to happen... especially on the property taxes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Indiana welcomes Cook County with its 6% sales taxes, and much lower property taxes :)

When I still lived in Sauk Village, a mere stones throw from the border, that is where I did 90% of my shopping. Food, gas, electronics, whatever. It was just as close as almost anything else in Illinois, and even 4 years ago, the tax difference was pretty visable. However in the last few years, the gas prices have caught up to Illinois, so there isn't as big of a difference there. 3 of my neighbors while there moved to Indiana. I, however, chose to go west. At least I am out of Cook County.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
Indiana is in the middle of a property tax revolt, it could be interesting.

I heard a little about that. And it sounds like the governer is another George W. Bush (a stupid ass who wants to ram s*** down people's throats whether they are for it or not).

The worst part is that its the County. The taxes that go to the state or the city, though still somewhat wasteful, at least goes to worthwhile services more often than not. The county, other than the jails, provides almost nothing of use for that tax money. What they do put money into could be done by private industry soooooo much more efficiently.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
The worst part is that its the County. The taxes that go to the state or the city, though still somewhat wasteful, at least goes to worthwhile services more often than not. The county, other than the jails, provides almost nothing of use for that tax money. What they do put money into could be done by private industry soooooo much more efficiently.

Cook County pretty much is Chicago. Think how much government waste we could get rid of by eliminating it?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
Cook County pretty much is Chicago. Think how much government waste we could get rid of by eliminating it?

But then Todd and all his buddies would have to get real jobs. You're heartless, Mike.

2009: Cook County Board reaches last minute budget deal avoiding shut-down of gov't. Reason for tax increase: estimates from 2008 tax increase fell far short and 4000 more civil servants will be sucking the teat of Cook County.

The county does more things than people give it credit for. If you go to "City Hall", 50% of it is county. Places like the Cook County Recorder, Cook County Hospital, etc are all paid with County money. The Cook County court system (not just the jails but the entire system) is paid by Cook County.

And I really dont think people who live in Kenilworth, Wilmette, consider themselves to be part of Chicago, and I really doubt that they will be moving to Indiana in the near future. You talk about Old Orchard, but look at Northbrook Court. Its built on Lake Cook Road, but on the Cook side therefore meaning that it has higher sales tax. The nicer car dealerships are on the Cook County side (Cadillac, Bentley) when they could easily move 2 blocks north and have their customers play Lake County sales tax...

People pay a premium to live in Cook County, they are free to move if they dont like it.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
The county does more things than people give it credit for. If you go to "City Hall", 50% of it is county. Places like the Cook County Recorder, Cook County Hospital, etc are all paid with County money. The Cook County court system (not just the jails but the entire system) is paid by Cook County.

And I really dont think people who live in Kenilworth, Wilmette, consider themselves to be part of Chicago, and I really doubt that they will be moving to Indiana in the near future. You talk about Old Orchard, but look at Northbrook Court. Its built on Lake Cook Road, but on the Cook side therefore meaning that it has higher sales tax. The nicer car dealerships are on the Cook County side (Cadillac, Bentley) when they could easily move 2 blocks north and have their customers play Lake County sales tax...

People pay a premium to live in Cook County, they are free to move if they dont like it.

Can somebody list the property taxes of cook county v. the corresponding border counties. I think the best way to do it is live in Cook but shop outside.

I also think Todd is going to get wiped out in the next election. Although county employees make a pretty good chunck of change and are happy.

Edited by Jenks Heat

Well that division is problematic (let alone the cost.)

There is no way that the super rich areas are going to want to be affiliated with Mount Prospect (Prospect County), so if you really were going to split my guess is that Prospect would be split even further so that the towns bordering the lake and Chicago would not have to be associated with those towns on the wrong side of the tracks. (For this purpose wrong side of highway, whatever floats your boat).

That half of the division already tried to form "Lincoln County" but it gained little traction. As for the rest there is a better chance of some of those areas merging with other counties like Dupage than forming their own.

But thats just my opinion on the subject, I really could care less as I live in Chicago and thus have to pay it no matter what.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
That half of the division already tried to form "Lincoln County" but it gained little traction. As for the rest there is a better chance of some of those areas merging with other counties like Dupage than forming their own.

Hmmm.. never new that! Just read it up on Wikipedia.

It happened 5-10 years before I was born, no wonder I never heard it before! lol

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
I vote for dividing the county....

The whole point is to eliminate government, not to create more. The county and the City are just money pits. Things need to be streamlined and cleaned up badly. If the 10.25% sales tax doesn't tell people that, nothing will.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)

A lot of of the county services can and should be fee-based for cost. I am not talking about law enforcement here, since that wouldn't work - but all the other adminstrative crap. If it costs X dollars to get some given document from the recorder, that is what it should cost in user fees. If the hospital cannot operate on a balanced budget, then they need to restructure or get out of the business.

There are costs associated with that stuff, the problem is its basically impossible to try and balance it all just by costs.

How do you charge some one for going down to the Daley Center and looking up free case information? How do you charge some one for going down and taking a look at their parents probate case?

Or how do you charge for all of the free internet stuff, forms, case information. What about all the property index number information you can pull up on the web from the recorder.

The problem is many of the services the county provides are free.