HDTVs

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
I don't like to buy combined products.

One part of the unit usually dies before the other does.

that would my first and only reluctance to buying it. But right now, how my house is set up, it makes the most sense.

Since the topic is HDTVs, I got a question about how you all are generally setting up your surround sound receiver with them. I just bought a new Plasma TV that has 2 HDMIs in, and I am looking to buy a new receiver.

My question is, do I really need to get a receiver that can handle HDMI, or should I just hook up my HD stuff directly to the TV, then use the Optical output from the TV to the receiver for the sound? I'm looking at spending around $300 - $400 for a receiver and am not sure if I really need the extra HDMI stuff that adds to the price pretty quickly.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
Since the topic is HDTVs, I got a question about how you all are generally setting up your surround sound receiver with them. I just bought a new Plasma TV that has 2 HDMIs in, and I am looking to buy a new receiver.

My question is, do I really need to get a receiver that can handle HDMI, or should I just hook up my HD stuff directly to the TV, then use the Optical output from the TV to the receiver for the sound? I'm looking at spending around $300 - $400 for a receiver and am not sure if I really need the extra HDMI stuff that adds to the price pretty quickly.

AVS Forum is a great place to go for this kind of info.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
AVS Forum is a great place to go for this kind of info.

Thanks CC. I think I found the answer in my TV's documentation. Anything running into it via the HDMI inputs cannot have sound output through the optical.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)

I never run video through my receiver as there is no benefit for me to have it run through another system of wires. I have optical or coax sound running from DVD and HD to the receiver, all video direct from source to TV through HDMI. The only benefit of running it through another sytem is if it gives you switching capability, which I still dont trust.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
I never run video through my receiver as there is no benefit for me to have it run through another system of wires. I have optical or coax sound running from DVD and HD to the receiver, all video direct from source to TV through HDMI. The only benefit of running it through another sytem is if it gives you switching capability, which I still dont trust.

Very good point. For some reason I had not thought of sending the HDMI straight to the TV and sending the sound separately to the receiver. Thanks for the idea!