PS3

Pods70Rowand33

How is the blu-ray player in it? I'm thinking of getting a blu-ray player as a gift to myself for surviving my busy season (our client sign-off is Thursday and I've worked 80 hr's this week already and average about 65 hr's a week dating back to January 10th) but I was going to see if I would just be better off going with a PS3 (using it primarily as a blu-ray player and than on rare ocassions if a real good game came out I'd use it as that). I say that because I love my 360 and have all the controllers and a decent collection of games (so the only thing I'd ever get for PS3 would be a game I like that is specific to such system).

Is the BluRay player real good on it or is it like the old school ps2 where the dvd player was completely sub-standard?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
How is the blu-ray player in it? I'm thinking of getting a blu-ray player as a gift to myself for surviving my busy season (our client sign-off is Thursday and I've worked 80 hr's this week already and average about 65 hr's a week dating back to January 10th) but I was going to see if I would just be better off going with a PS3 (using it primarily as a blu-ray player and than on rare ocassions if a real good game came out I'd use it as that). I say that because I love my 360 and have all the controllers and a decent collection of games (so the only thing I'd ever get for PS3 would be a game I like that is specific to such system).

Is the BluRay player real good on it or is it like the old school ps2 where the dvd player was completely sub-standard?

IMO the player works extremely well. I havent used a regular unit though.

That's what I bought it for, and it's great. Supposedly the PS3 has faster loading times than all stand alone Blu-ray DVD players, and unlike the current stand alone blu-ray players, it can be updated to handle future blu-ray discs that will be designed on the 2.0 profile. I guess 2.0 movies will play on a current blu-ray player, but you won't have access to the extras.

I picked up the 40 GB and remote for $450 at Wal-Mart a few months ago. I don't play games as much these days, and picked up Drake's Fortune for $45 on ebay, and only played it once due to my busy schedule as well. You also get 5 free Blu-Ray movies by mail.

I only use mine for the Blu Ray player (since most of the PS3 games are very mediocre, at this point anyways)

The system works out great for a Blu Ray player, and thats the intended use I bought it for... mostly to counter what I already had with HD DVD on xbox360. I am happy with my purchase, but I still forsee playing the majority of the video games I buy on xbox360....its just the better gaming system, and most of the games that are out on both get better scores for the 360 anyways. I do look forward to checking out MLB '08: The Show though.

As I said in the video game thread a few hours ago, I bought a PS3 in December and have been completely pleased with it. I'm no video game expert, so I can't really compare it to the 360, but after extensive research, decided to go with the PS3 because of the blu-ray player, the much better construction of the units, and the problems Microsoft has had in the past.

All in all, I could not be happier. It's been fantastic. All the games I've bought have been fantastic. And the blu-ray player has been quite a pleasure.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)

If you like condensed versions of games, you'll keep doing that. The X-Box is so inferior to the PS3 in terms of hardware it's not even funny.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
If you like condensed versions of games, you'll keep doing that. The X-Box is so inferior to the PS3 in terms of hardware it's not even funny.

Ya its just a matter of the developers learning how to max out the potential of the system. naturally, it is going to take longer, but games are already much better than just a year ago. The blu-ray discs can hold so much more data, that eventually games are going to much bigger/longer/thorough/graphically impressive than anything a disc for an xbox 360 can possibly hold

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
Ya its just a matter of the developers learning how to max out the potential of the system. naturally, it is going to take longer, but games are already much better than just a year ago. The blu-ray discs can hold so much more data, that eventually games are going to much bigger/longer/thorough/graphically impressive than anything a disc for an xbox 360 can possibly hold

The crazy thing is a blu ray disc can't hold what Metal Gear Solid 4 developers wanted. They're cutting stuff to make it fit as we speak.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
The crazy thing is a blu ray disc can't hold what Metal Gear Solid 4 developers wanted. They're cutting stuff to make it fit as we speak.

I'm actually waiting a couple of months to buy the PS3. They are coming out with a bundle that includes Metal Gear Solid 4 with the 80GB PS3. Normally I would be wanting it now for baseball, but I've already been burned by the 2K Sports franchise once already. I'll wait for an actual good baseball game.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)

One of the problems with the initial launch was that Sony didn't give developers enough time to learn the system, so nearly every third party game was just a port of the original...usually a bad one at that. After a year we're finally getting third party games that look better on the ps3 because developers are finally able to make the games using what the ps3 has to offer.

I've had my ps3 since launch and although it sucks that I paid an extra couple hundred compared to what I can get now, I still think it was an excellent purchase.

What's everyones favorite games?

I'd rank them as:

Uncharted

Assassins Creed

MLB The Show 2008

NBA 2k8

Resistance

(out of the games I own)

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
One of the problems with the initial launch was that Sony didn't give developers enough time to learn the system, so nearly every third party game was just a port of the original...usually a bad one at that. After a year we're finally getting third party games that look better on the ps3 because developers are finally able to make the games using what the ps3 has to offer.

I've had my ps3 since launch and although it sucks that I paid an extra couple hundred compared to what I can get now, I still think it was an excellent purchase.

I'd rank them as:

Uncharted

Assassins Creed

MLB The Show 2008

NBA 2k8

Resistance

(out of the games I own)

Oblivion

Uncharted

MLB 08' The Show

COD4

Madden 2008

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)

I'd rank them as:

Uncharted

Assassins Creed

MLB The Show 2008

NBA 2k8

Resistance

(out of the games I own)

Resistance last? That game is one of my favorites. My rankings:

1. Resistance

2. Call of Duty 4

3. Unreal Tournament 3

These 3 are must owns IMO(all FPS though...)

4. Guitar Hero 3

5. Marvel Ultimate Alliance

6. Assasin's Creed(I really want to like it, but it's by far the buggiest game I have ever played)

I just bought a PS3 and a 42' HDTV yesterday.I played a little bit of MLB2K8 but was really impressed with the detail(not surprising)but I got completely frustrated with the game play after like a half hour and quit.I have not been into video games in years so I kind of figured the ADD would kick in.BTW the actual game console is extremely impressive looking.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)

1. Resistance

2. Call of Duty 4

3. Unreal Tournament 3

4. Guitar Hero 3

6. Assasin's Creed(I really want to like it, but it's by far the buggiest game I have ever played)

Yeah I just never got into it. In fact, I never even finished the game I dont think. Online was ok for a while but I think I eventually got hooked on Ninja Gaiden: Sigma (I forgot to add that on my list, that's another solid game - beautiful graphics).

I agree on CoD though I have it for the PC. Anyone play Warhawk? I've been debating whether or not to get it. Some multiplayer games like that I enjoy (Counter-Strike, CoD) but others I hate (nearly all of the Battlefield series)

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)

1. Resistance

2. Call of Duty 4

3. Unreal Tournament 3

4. Guitar Hero 3

Those 2 games are soooo much better on the pc. If you have a good computer dont waste the money buying them for ps3.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
Those 2 games are soooo much better on the pc. If you have a good computer dont waste the money buying them for ps3.

What makes Call of Duty so much better for the pc? You're the second person I had heard this from. I think it's fantastic for ps3.

QUOTE(Pods70Rowand33 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
What makes Call of Duty so much better for the pc? You're the second person I had heard this from. I think it's fantastic for ps3.

Better graphics, online play is better, and just those types of games using a mouse is much better than controller. The PC will always be the best thing for games if you have one that is good enough to support the top tier games.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
Better graphics, online play is better, and just those types of games using a mouse is much better than controller. The PC will always be the best thing for games if you have one that is good enough to support the top tier games.

I've always prefered a handheld controller over a mouse and keyboard, and keeping a PC up to date for gaming is far more expensive than buying a PS3.