So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

I still don't consider Owens anything more than a LF, and would have had no problem with him being an option there. I just don't like it when your CF has to two hop it to the cutoff man.

The CF doesn't really need a strong arm though. Speed is more of an issue. (see Johnny Damon, Juan Pierre)

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
The CF doesn't really need a strong arm though. Speed is more of an issue. (see Johnny Damon, Juan Pierre)

I couldn't disagree more. Those two, along with Owens, see teams take advantage of their lack of arm and consistently take the extra base.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)

Well, Anderson is also a better fielder than Owens as it is and from what I saw last year.

I couldn't disagree more. Those two, along with Owens, see teams take advantage of their lack of arm and consistently take the extra base.

It's way more important for the strong arms to be in RF and LF. That's where the xtra bases are taken.

Well, Anderson is also a better fielder than Owens as it is and from what I saw last year.

No doubt about it, but whats more important CF or lead off? I can't say, but it would be nice to have a guy who could steal bases at the top of the lineup. Also, I don't see Anderson being a CF who can gun someone out at home on a sac fly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Although he was benched constantly in 06, there was never more than a day or two where the reason for it was explained as an injury. It was that Mackowiak = wins.

I thought he didn't start getting benched until June, when his avg. was still below .200, no?

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
It's way more important for the strong arms to be in RF and LF. That's where the xtra bases are taken.

Actually it goes from Right to Left in order of strength of arm requirements.

Right is your strongest arm, and you can hide your weakest defensive guy and weakest arm in left.

And before we annoint Mr Owens our leadoff guy, maybe he could make it a few days without getting injured. game.Pods Jr scratched from the lineup.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
No doubt about it, but whats more important CF or lead off? I can't say, but it would be nice to have a guy who could steal bases at the top of the lineup. Also, I don't see Anderson being a CF who can gun someone out at home on a sac fly.

Anderson constantly gunned it over the catcher at times. He's got a cannon, but he's had trouble with accuracy.

Since the #1 batter leads off an inning maybe twice a game, it's importance (as far as wheels/speed) is overblown compared to someone who can just get on base in front of your big guns.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
I have to say I agree with DA on this one. What happened in 06' was certainly not Brian's fault. And if you want to blame bringing in Erstad on Brian, you should blame it on Kenny, because Brian came to play last spring, beat out Erstad, and then was still not given any real role on the major league club.

I dont think anyone in this thread said that the team didnt make the playoffs in 06 because of Brian. But his lack of performance on the field in 06, his attitude problems and lack of preparation put the Sox in a position where they had to try and search for a Cf'er that was more professional in his approach and could possibly put up an OBP over .300.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)

Range is more important than throwing arm for CF'er IMO. Taking away gap shots can be a huge lift for a team.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
Range is more important than throwing arm for CF'er IMO. Taking away gap shots can be a huge lift for a team.

Of course range is more important, but to say arm strength isn't important at all is neglecting a lot.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)

Range is a combination of being able to read the ball correctly and speed. Torii hunter is not the fastest guy in the world, but he can read the ball off the bat and get a better jump than the pure speedster that can go get it. If speed was part of range then Pods would of been an allstar in CF. Brian Anderson is a natural centerfielder and he can make the correct reads that get him in the right spot at the right time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
Of course range is more important, but to say arm strength isn't important at all is neglecting a lot.

In my book, the important elements of a CF

1) Ability to judge a ball off the bat (this will allow you get into the gaps and get as to those bloopers to short center)

2) A good throwing arm. A centerfielder can cut the ball off in the gap and could help cut down on players extending singles into doubles.

3) Speed is great but if you can judge a ball properly (Owens can not) you do not necessarily need the speed. Anderson is plenty fast enough to play center.

Jim Edmonds and Tori Hunter are great at judging a ball that was why they were able to make as many highlight reel catches (it also allowed them to play normal catches into highlight reel catches). Did anyone ever wonder why Hunter was able to rob so many home runs , was it just luck????

Anderson is better than every other player on that roster at what it takes to play centerfield. I also think that with time he will be able to hold his own with the stick.

The attitude problems are great as I am still trying to figure what he did other than party really good. Something Ozzie will condone enough. I am not sure what preparation he is unprepared for as he has always been in shape.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)

arm strength is, of course, part of the equation as to what constitutes a good defensive center fielder.

I'll leave arguing over the little stuff to you guys.

Brian is tearing it up. He is showing some plate discipline with 8 walks . Out of his 14 hits, 6 are extra bases. He is the best defender on this team and has 2 assists this spring. One where he nailed Shelton at the plate with a perfect throw. I believe he is and will continue to be right up there with the best defenders in the league. His defense saves runs. He seems to be what we wanted him to be in 06 and he grew up. So I don't see the problem? If Jerry beats him out, thats fine but he can't seem to stay on the field.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
Range is a combination of being able to read the ball correctly and speed. Torii hunter is not the fastest guy in the world, but he can read the ball off the bat and get a better jump than the pure speedster that can go get it. If speed was part of range then Pods would of been an allstar in CF. Brian Anderson is a natural centerfielder and he can make the correct reads that get him in the right spot at the right time.

Definitely. Best range in CF does not always mean fastest player.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Its not a big in depth thing.

Player fails

GM has to take action to cover failing player

If Anderson could play CF like a major leaguer in 2006, we wouldn't be talking about Erstad, Owens, Quinten, Swisher, and the rest of them. Brian Anderson's failure as a major league CF forced Kenny Williams into action.

If you can't understand the logic there, there isn't much point in continuing.

And every GM in baseball knew the 8-ball K-Dubya was behind and would make it tougher for him to get fair for fair trades.

If he keeps his head out of his ass, he could be truly great in this league.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
And every GM in baseball knew the 8-ball K-Dubya was behind and would make it tougher for him to get fair for fair trades.

If he keeps his head out of his ass, he could be truly great in this league.

I don't know about that. He traded for Edmonds. He didn't want to come here. He offerred the most mney for Fukudome, he would rather play for the Cubs, the Angels and Giants were willing to overpay for Hunter and Rowand. At the deadline in 2006 he met with Konerko and Thome and they evvidently decided there really was nothing wrong with Anderson and decided not to make any trades. Soriano was rumored to be a White Sox. Just like any other team in baseball, if KW wants a guy who is available he has to make what is the most desirable offer to the player's current team. Some want prospects. Some want major league ready players, some want financial relief and some want a combination.

I do hope that Brian Anderson makes the Sox take him up north and become the CFer this season. I love Quentin, but I could handle him in AAA/off the bench this year and next, so long as he's getting quite a few PAs between DH, LF, and RF. If Anderson does finally put it up this year and become a CFer, that instantly takes the OF defense from slow and among the worst in the league to one of the best units. Swish-Anderson-Dye looks like average to above average range in the corners with outstanding range in center, with strong arms on all of them, and then Quentin is on the bench and he's a good defensive corner too.

I'd love it.

I don't necessarily hope Owens stays injured, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the future of this franchise if he did and Anderson become a legitimate CFer.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I do hope that Brian Anderson makes the Sox take him up north and become the CFer this season. I love Quentin, but I could handle him in AAA/off the bench this year and next, so long as he's getting quite a few PAs between DH, LF, and RF. If Anderson does finally put it up this year and become a CFer, that instantly takes the OF defense from slow and among the worst in the league to one of the best units. Swish-Anderson-Dye looks like average to above average range in the corners with outstanding range in center, with strong arms on all of them, and then Quentin is on the bench and he's a good defensive corner too.

I'd love it.

I don't necessarily hope Owens stays injured, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the future of this franchise if he did and Anderson become a legitimate CFer.

Owens was scratched today. They say its because tomorrow is an off day and they wanted him to have 2 full days off, but this is looking like a Pods rerun.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
Owens was scratched today. They say its because tomorrow is an off day and they wanted him to have 2 full days off, but this is looking like a Pods rerun.

a sore groin on a young player vs. a veteran with a recurring habit of blowing a hernia?

I think the best argument to be made for keeping BA is that Detroit is going to run away with this division and the Sox will be in a re-build mode next winter. They could start in July by moving some veterans (cabrera, dye, maybe even crede) and re-stocking. BA would be a nice building block if he can ever figure out MLB pitching, which he hasn't yet.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
I thought he didn't start getting benched until June, when his avg. was still below .200, no?

Someone may have pointed this out already...but this isn't true. Mackowiak was the starting CF on game 2 of the regular season that year. And the substitution pattern almost never stopped, no matter how many balls Mack missplayed, no matter how many times Anderson saved a game with a catch (Hafner's fly ball vs. Cleveland), no matter how much Anderson's batting improved in the 2nd half of the season, no matter how many times Mack said he was ill suited for CF. It was a platoon from day 1.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
a sore groin on a young player vs. a veteran with a recurring habit of blowing a hernia?

I think the best argument to be made for keeping BA is that Detroit is going to run away with this division and the Sox will be in a re-build mode next winter. They could start in July by moving some veterans (cabrera, dye, maybe even crede) and re-stocking. BA would be a nice building block if he can ever figure out MLB pitching, which he hasn't yet.

Owens isn't much younger than Pods was when he started having leg problems. Owens + leg problems= worthless.