Report: Brett Favre to retire

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
One question, can the best QB in the history of the NFL, like some people think Favre may be, be the all time leader in Interceptions?

I'm not saying he's the best one bit but Cy Young leads in wins and losses just like Brett Favre leads in TD's and INT's. I'm also not saying Cy Young is the best.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a better article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276536

Was Brett Favre the greatest quarterback in NFL history? Yes -- and no.

Your opinion depends on what it means to be the "greatest of all time." Are we talking about the quarterback who had the greatest four- to five-year peak, during which he dominated the game? Or are we talking about the quarterback who gave his team the most value over an entire career? Most of the time, when we talk about the greatest players ever, we sort of fudge the question, not judging on either criterion but rather smushing the two together.

When Bill James rated the greatest baseball players ever in his original "Historical Baseball Abstract," he chose a different route; James created two completely different lists, one for peak value and one for career value. That's also how we have to look at Favre's place in NFL history.

Favre won three straight MVP awards in the mid-1990s (one shared with Barry Sanders), but that three-year period doesn't even come close to ranking as the greatest three-year performance by an NFL quarterback. At the same time, there aren't many quarterbacks who played as well, for as long, as Favre

Goes on to note that, for the author's money, Favre, Marino and Elway belong in their own class for sustained greatness but Marino gets bounced for not winning a Super Bowl and then it's up to Elway/Favre.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
I'm not saying he's the best one bit but Cy Young leads in wins and losses just like Brett Favre leads in TD's and INT's. I'm also not saying Cy Young is the best.

That's for a different reason than Favre though. Cy Young threw for an average of 290 innings a year (over 22 years), and often pitched more than 300 innings a year, including multiple years with over 400 IP.

Also, a QB has a lot more control over TDs and INTs than a pitcher has over wins and losses. Just saying.

Any word if Brett has stopped crying yet?

Showing some emotion was fine and it was part of what made him so great.

However, he was acting like a jr high girl who did not get tickets to the Hannah Montana concert coming up the next weekend.

His wife needed to slap him.

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Any word if Brett has stopped crying yet?

Showing some emotion was fine and it was part of what made him so great.

However, he was acting like a jr high girl who did not get tickets to the Hannah Montana concert coming up the next weekend.

His wife needed to slap him.

Yeah what a pussy. He acts like he started 273 games in a row. He's not a real man.

• 4 weeks later...

Too many factors to ever "prove" who is best. But a damn good argument can be made for Favre, and that is what really matters. Just being in the top 10 of everyone who has played the position is amazing, when a case can be made for greatest ever, and you look at the other names mentioned, that's pretty cool. :notworthy

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Too many factors to ever "prove" who is best. But a damn good argument can be made for Favre, and that is what really matters. Just being in the top 10 of everyone who has played the position is amazing, when a case can be made for greatest ever, and you look at the other names mentioned, that's pretty cool. :notworthy

I dont think a real case can be made for the greatest ever but definitely top10 if not top5 ever.

• 3 weeks later...