Harvard bans men from gym for certain hours.

WilliamTell

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
You can refuse service to an individual, not a group. If it's a privately owned business, you can decide who you want to make deals with. You'll probably lose a lot of business and could be labeled as a racist, sexist, or just a plain dick.

Right, but even still, you can't just refuse to accommodate someone for no reason. You could probably get away with it as a small business owner, but if McDonald's refused outright to serve an individual for no legitimate reason (they are drunk, pestering other customers, not clothed, etc.,) they would get sued to oblivion.

They are a business that opens itself to the public, and receives the protection and benefits of the laws of the City, County, and State in which they operate. Thus, they are also held liable for breaking those same laws. Refusing to serve someone for no reason whatsoever is a violation of an individual's civil rights, and the same goes for a group (obviously).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
No, we aren't arguing that "because I pay I should be able to do what I want." We're talking about being able to take advantage of the school's functions. The schools are respsonsible for setting regulations as well and the paying students should follow them as it applies to all.

I don't see any problem with going to a professor's lecture if you're not registered for the class. I saw people drag their gf or bf to their class all the time.

The school says the gym is open to students from 6AM-12AM (just a guess as that what mine was.) All students have access to that, no problem.

The school then decides because of a complaint from a select minority the gym will remain open from 6AM-12AM but only a select few can work out from 7-9PM. That's BS.

As a policy, the school sets up checkout times for conference rooms so unless you have properly checked out the room, you do not belong there. That applies to ALL the students. Equal treatment, how about that?

That's great, so what you're saying is that there should be no restrictions when things are open. But the Athletic Facilities department at Harvard already makes exceptions to that at various points for other things. For example, other facilities have open hours that are restricted to a certain skill level. There's no extra charge to use the space if you qualify either. And yet there's no outrage.

However, some women who feel uncomfortable with the current environment given ask for an accomodation that is granted on a strictly limited basis and there's a ton of outrage. Why the outrage? Not because the accomodation, not because they're women but because these women happen to be muslim. For all the talk about media bias in this forum, you sure neglect to note the fact that because you can't swing a cat in a story about changing the gym hours without a religious reference. The request was made through the Harvard Women's Center. Not the Harvard Islamist Women's Center.

The real story here is that a few loudmouthed college students are crybabies because they have to walk 10 minutes further because the gym they probably never worked out at had a policy change. They attack it on principle, but that principle isn't about religious equality. It's about their privileged lives having to deal with accomodating someone else's needs other than their own. The fact that these women are muslim only help the whiner's cause, because as we see in this forum on a regular basis, there are plenty of people who will take any mildly negative story regarding anyone muslim and equating to screaming flagrant injustice, even if the whole matter just involves a few mildly inconvenienced students because of an experimental semester-long policy intended to gauge the usefulness of having women-only athletic facilities on campus.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 01:05 AM)
Why the outrage? Not because the accomodation, not because they're women but because these women happen to be muslim.

Yes.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 01:05 AM)
For all the talk about media bias in this forum, you sure neglect to note the fact that because you can't swing a cat in a story about changing the gym hours without a religious reference. The request was made through the Harvard Women's Center. Not the Harvard Islamist Women's Center.

Yes, it was made THRU the womens center, at the request of six Muslim women, for religious beliefs.

The trial policy went into effect Feb. 4, about a month after a group of six Muslim women, with the support of the Harvard College Women's Center, asked the university for the special hours, spokesman Robert Mitchell said.

The Women's Center had nothing to do with it until the Muslim women complained. They made the religion issue front and center when they complained due to religious reasons.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 07:08 AM)
Yes.

Yes, it was made THRU the womens center, at the request of six Muslim women, for religious beliefs.

The Women's Center had nothing to do with it until the Muslim women complained. They made the religion issue front and center when they complained due to religious reasons.

So fine, since your issue with this has nothing to do with the actual accommodation and has more to do with the religion that these people are - I think we're done arguing here. At least until you post your next thread about Americans who happen to be muslim exercising their religious freedom in a country that guarantees it.

I'm done.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
What if a bunch of men and I didn't want to work out infront of women. Should they take away certain hours for the women? I doubt that would happen.

Didn't Butters' dad on South Park sneak off to one of those gyms?

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
So fine, since your issue with this has nothing to do with the actual accommodation and has more to do with the religion that these people are - I think we're done arguing here. At least until you post your next thread about Americans who happen to be muslim exercising their religious freedom in a country that guarantees it.

I'm done.

I didn't say I wouldn't have issues with it otherwise, but the fact that it is yet another group of Muslims trying to get something or someone in the US to bow to their ways instead of adapting and going on does set me off. Would you be defending this if the group was something different? Someone on here asked if it would be ok if straight guys wanted gym time away from gays. How about if it was a group of ultra-conservative Christians who didn't want men gawking at their pure bodies for Christ and wanted some alone time? Can't have those evil lecherous men checking them out while they exercise, that would be bad,and could lead to impure thoughts! And yes, I would have a problem if they set aside time for them as well. Would you? Exercise your religion (and body) all you want. But quit trying to turn us into the EU. France and the UK are too f***ed up from all their bending over to accommodate and I don't want the US to be the same way.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
I didn't say I wouldn't have issues with it otherwise, but the fact that it is yet another group of Muslims trying to get something or someone in the US to bow to their ways instead of adapting and going on does set me off. Would you be defending this if the group was something different? Someone on here asked if it would be ok if straight guys wanted gym time away from gays. How about if it was a group of ultra-conservative Christians who didn't want men gawking at their pure bodies for Christ and wanted some alone time? Can't have those evil lecherous men checking them out while they exercise, that would be bad,and could lead to impure thoughts! And yes, I would have a problem if they set aside time for them as well. Would you? Exercise your religion (and body) all you want. But quit trying to turn us into the EU. France and the UK are too f***ed up from all their bending over to accommodate and I don't want the US to be the same way.

That was me that asked about the straight/gay thing. Never did get an answer to that question.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
Ummm, Post 37. You never answered my question on how you'd enforce it.

Ummm ... I pointed out that enforcement is a moot point. It's the principle of the matter that makes a difference here.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
That is a bulls***, Tex-like analogy,

Nice, I don't post for two weeks and someone still can rip me :angry:

There must be lots of Muslim women working out because the

Curves is the largest fitness franchise in the world with 10,000 locations worldwide. Curves Clubs can be found in 55 countries, including the United States, Canada, Europe, South America, The Caribbean, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Japan, and we're still growing. We are the first fitness and weight loss facility dedicated to providing affordable, one-stop exercise and nutritional information for women.
http://www.curves.com/about_curves/

Seems like perhaps more then just Muslim women favor that environment.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Where ya been?

getting hookers for governors, working out in front of Muslim women, smuggling illegals, and trying to kill Tex.