Pre-Arb guys pissed about contracts

Vance Law

Prince Fielder, Cole Hamels, now Nick Markakis (others?)complaining in the media that they didn't get as much money as they wanted. Does this always happen this much (the complaining) and I just haven't noticed. Anyway, to all of them, I say, "shut up, dips***s."

Sure, the owners have them by the shorthairs during those first few years, but after that, they get the advantage. The guys who clamor for a long term 'security' deal, and then want it restructured 2 years later because other people are making more are the ones who are worse. You signed it, deal with it.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
Sure, the owners have them by the shorthairs during those first few years, but after that, they get the advantage. The guys who clamor for a long term 'security' deal, and then want it restructured 2 years later because other people are making more are the ones who are worse. You signed it, deal with it.

The funny thing is that by being had by the short hairs means a mid-6 figure salary in this case. Rough life.

Bob

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Its hard to feel sorry for them when they will be vastly overpaid in the future. The average raise for arb eligible guys is over 100%, so screw them if they don't like it.

The problem is when they see contracts like Tulowitzki's where they buy out the non-arb and some arb years. I don't blame them for complaining, but dems da rulz. If it's that big of a problem, leave the team when you can be a free agent.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Its hard to feel sorry for them when they will be vastly overpaid in the future. The average raise for arb eligible guys is over 100%, so screw them if they don't like it.

i agree. This money doesn't include the 300,000+ for baseball card deals and the 100.00+ in meal money per away game. Granted it's hard being away from your family if you have one, but for a decade or so it can be worth it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
The problem is when they see contracts like Tulowitzki's where they buy out the non-arb and some arb years. I don't blame them for complaining

You know who wouldn't be complaining if he didn't have a multi-year deal now? Tulowitski.

It's one thing if deep, deep down you have a tiny bit of jealousy that somebody got a big multi-year deal while you're just making $500,000 or $600,000 and won't get to see tens of millions for, gosh, another 2 or 3 years. But if you have that boiling over the surface such that you are immediately complaining TO THE MEDIA and you're not totally embarrassed by yourself, then you are a complete s***head.