sox are offensive

RockRaines

From today's press release:

The white sox lead all major league teams with 32 doubles, 58 runs scored, 105 hits, 154 total bases and are second with a .348 average and .421 obp. The sox 32 doubles are 12 more than their closest competitor. The white sox have recorded at least 10 hits in seven of 8 games. Chicago lead off hitters have gone 11-24 (.324) with six doubles, seven rbi, six walks and 11 runs scored. Nick swisher is 6-8 with two doubles, a triple, two homers and five rbi in his last 2 games. Alexei Ramirez has reached base in all four cactus league games. Brian Anderson has reached base seven times in his last four contests. Paul 'onerko has gone 7-9 with five RBI in his last three games.

Let's keep it up!

And happy bday to Paulie!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
From today's press release:

The White Sox lead all major league teams with 32 doubles, 58 runs scored, 105 hits, 154 total bases and are second with a .348 average and .421 obp. The sox 32 doubles are 12 more than their closest competitor. The white sox have recorded at least 10 hits in seven of 8 games. Chicago lead off hitters have gone 11-24 (.324) with six doubles, seven rbi, six walks and 11 runs scored. Nick swisher is 6-8 with two doubles, a triple, two homers and five rbi in his last 2 games. Alexei Ramirez has reached base in all four cactus league games. Brian Anderson has reached base seven times in his last four contests. Paul 'onerko has gone 7-9 with five RBI in his last three games.

Let's keep it up!

And happy bday to Paulie!

What is most encouraging to me is the amount of doubles. Over the last couple of years we have been one of the worst (if not THE worst) team in MLB in getting doubles. At least it appears in the AZ, the Sox don't seem to be swinging for the fences. Hopefully, the carries over into the regular season.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
Is it just me, or are they not hitting many homers at all? That seems somewhat strange, with all of the two-baggers into the gaps.

Maybe they are stressing hitting line drives instead of the ole lift an' pull

I like seeing the doubles, it shows more gap to gap hitting which is what I like. The homers will come, hitting line drives, and gap to gap is what this team needs to do to be a force this year. With our park we dont need to try and hit homers. Hitting like this, may stop the low and away attack pitchers have put up against us. Its a great start, hopefully they can keep it up.

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
I think I heard that the Cell's configuration makes it one of the toughter parks to accumulate doubles and triples. May just be b.s. since I have no source to quote, but I could swear there was some analysis done to back it up.

Well, its widely accepted that its easy to hit HR's there. Some of those HR's might be doubles or triples in another park.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
they'd better be offensive...

That's a very misleading stat. MacDougal has 5 of those in 2 innings. Take him out and its 10 runs in 16.1 innings, which is 5.51 ERA. Take out Logan's 5 runs in 3.2 IP, and now its 5 runs in 12.2 IP, for an ERA of 3.55. So let's put it in perspective here. Jenks, Thornton, Masset, Haeger, Wassermann, Dotel, Linebrink and Broadway combine for 8 ER in in 24.2 IP, which is an ERA of 2.92, which is quite good.

Also, who are the 8, according to whomever wrote the quote you included? Because I see 10 candidates covering about 30 innings. The total of all 10 above is 18 ER in 30.1 IP, which is 5.34. Thats not great, but for Arizona, its not horrific either. Seems like the author was trying to find the worst possible numbers.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
That's a very misleading stat. MacDougal has 5 of those in 2 innings. Take him out and its 10 runs in 16.1 innings, which is 5.51 ERA. Take out Logan's 5 runs in 3.2 IP, and now its 5 runs in 12.2 IP, for an ERA of 3.55. So let's put it in perspective here. Jenks, Thornton, Masset, Haeger, Wassermann, Dotel, Linebrink and Broadway combine for 8 ER in in 24.2 IP, which is an ERA of 2.92, which is quite good.

Also, who are the 8, according to whomever wrote the quote you included? Because I see 10 candidates covering about 30 innings. The total of all 10 above is 18 ER in 30.1 IP, which is 5.34. Thats not great, but for Arizona, its not horrific either. Seems like the author was trying to find the worst possible numbers.

quoting this...

pen treading water

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Ah, Mr. Cowley. Not surprised.

It is ridiculous to speculate on guys and take their ERA as gospel on March 5th. Its Joe's speciality. Even MacDougal. While obviously everyone would rather he come in and shut guys down, his horrid start still means nothing.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)
It is ridiculous to speculate on guys and take their ERA as gospel on March 5th. Its Joe's speciality. Even MacDougal. While obviously everyone would rather he come in and shut guys down, his horrid start still means nothing.

I wouldn't go that far. Picking 1 point in ERA here or there on pitchers who have put in 2 or 4 innings is ridiculous. But when MacDougal looks truly awful in the intrasquad games (per Tony), and comes out and gets SHELLED in his two appearances, that does mean something. Its not bible truth of his coming season, but I do think its an indicator.