Jeffrey Loria - makin that dough!

knightni

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...nd-short-of-it/

At the end of 2008, the Marlins have received about $200 million in revenue sharing.

MLB bought the Expos from him for $120 million and in turn sold the Marlins (to him) for $158.5 million, including a $38.5 million no-interest loan from MLB. Since the Marlins didn’t get a new stadium within five years, MLB forgave $15 million of the loan and charged no interest on the remainder.

Total cost of the Florida Marlins—$143.5 million.

This is the exact reason that baseball needs a neutral commissioner. The fact that the commissioner is voted in by the owners of the 30 teams, and then determine his salary around 15 million is a joke.

The owner should also be held responsible for the steroid era as well. They knew this was going on, and what did they ask Selig to do? Turn his head.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
This is the exact reason that baseball needs a neutral commissioner. The fact that the commissioner is voted in by the owners of the 30 teams, and then determine his salary around 15 million is a joke.

The owner should also be held responsible for the steroid era as well. They knew this was going on, and what did they ask Selig to do? Turn his head.

and cough.

Not that I like Selig, but $15 million a year of total compensation for a CEO overseeing a multibillion dollar industries is probably underpaying him by about a factor of 10. Remember he just gets the cash. Most of the guys in similar positions get cash, stock, stock options, and all kinds of other perks that baseball can't give him.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
Bud Selig makes $15 mil as commissioner? Wtf?

Good article, knightni. Thanks for the link.

That is a pretty small chunk, given the fact that baseball is about a 5 billion dollar industry (or I think its somewhere in that range). Say what you want about Bud, but the sport has grown immensley under his tenure and more recently, despite the steroid incidence the sport is growing even faster than ever.

They still have issues, ie, trying to rebuild inner city baseball play and just play amongst youth (because the sport must rely on young kids playing the game and either turning into future mlb players or future fans because i think you are more likely to become a fan if you play the game due to baseball having so many intangibles which to me make the game so interesting).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Not that I like Selig, but $15 million a year of total compensation for a CEO overseeing a multibillion dollar industries is probably underpaying him by about a factor of 10. Remember he just gets the cash. Most of the guys in similar positions get cash, stock, stock options, and all kinds of other perks that baseball can't give him.

No doubt about it. He is ridiculously underpaid given the options that a typical CEO would have. I also think he's a very good commissioner who gets way more heat than he deserves. The game has truly thrived with him in office, despite some bad things happening during his tenure (but that happens).