Big Ten Tournament

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guess I dont understand why Michigan is 9 compared to Illini.

They have the same conference record and head to head they are tie dup 1-1.

Off the top of my head Illini has the better overall record so that just makes no sense to me why Michigan has the 9 seed.

Not that it matters or anything just curious how the tiebreaker was determined.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
I'm guess I dont understand why Michigan is 9 compared to Illini.

They have the same conference record and head to head they are tie dup 1-1.

Off the top of my head Illini has the better overall record so that just makes no sense to me why Michigan has the 9 seed.

Not that it matters or anything just curious how the tiebreaker was determined.

Tiebreaking Procedures

2008 Big Ten Men's Basketball Tournament

Tiebreaker Information

Ties for seeding the Big Ten Men's Basketball Tournament will be broken as follows:

In case of a tie for any place finish in the regular-season standings, the following tie-breaking procedure shall be followed in order to seed teams in the Tournament bracket.

TWO-TEAM TIE

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings (or in the case of a tie for the championship, the next highest position in the regular season standings) continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

* A. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

* B. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1); in the case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000 the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Won-loss percentage of all Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

link

Rough break for the Illini, Penn State is a far better team than Iowa. Iowa and Michigan might be the worst game I've ever seen in a Big 10 tournament. Not that it matters, no matter what happens, Purdue and Wisconsin should win big in their 1st games. Penn State is the only team of any note there, and the Big 10 tournament isn't in Happy Valley.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
Rough break for the Illini, Penn State is a far better team than Iowa. Iowa and Michigan might be the worst game I've ever seen in a Big 10 tournament. Not that it matters, no matter what happens, Purdue and Wisconsin should win big in their 1st games. Penn State is the only team of any note there, and the Big 10 tournament isn't in Happy Valley.

i dunno, i'd prefer they play penn state and feed into purdue than play iowa and feed into wisconsin. in general i like illinois's bracket placement better in the bottom. plus, penn state is now playing without cornley and claxton.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
i dunno, i'd prefer they play penn state and feed into purdue than play iowa and feed into wisconsin. in general i like illinois's bracket placement better in the bottom. plus, penn state is now playing without cornley and claxton.

EXACTLY my thoughts, at least they get a draw against a Penn State team they won't want to lose to 3 times especially with their 2 best guys out

I'll throw my predictions out there just for the hell of it...

First Round

Michigan over Iowa

Illinois over Penn State

Minnesota over Northwestern

Quarterfinals

Wisconsin over Michigan

Michigan State over Ohio State

Purdue over Illinois

Minnesota over Indiana

Semifinals

Wisconsin over Michigan State

Purdue over Minnesota

Championship

Purdue over Wisconsin

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
I'll throw my predictions out there just for the hell of it...

First Round

Michigan over Iowa

Illinois over Penn State

Minnesota over Northwestern

Quarterfinals

Wisconsin over Michigan

Michigan State over Ohio State

Purdue over Illinois

Minnesota over Indiana

Semifinals

Wisconsin over Michigan State

Purdue over Minnesota

Championship

Purdue over Wisconsin

ahahaha.. I could only hope.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
ahahaha.. I could only hope.

Maybe a bit of a stretch especially since it's in Indy but after the way IU played against PSU and MSU in recent days (yes I know they beat Minnesota in between those two games) I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana just doesn't show up ready to play as hard as a team like Minnesota. That and the fact that Jamarcus Ellis has mysteriously gone missing.

And just like the real tournament it's no fun if I don't pick any upsets.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Maybe a bit of a stretch especially since it's in Indy but after the way IU played against PSU and MSU in recent days (yes I know they beat Minnesota in between those two games) I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana just doesn't show up ready to play as hard as a team like Minnesota. That and the fact that Jamarcus Ellis has mysteriously gone missing.

And just like the real tournament it's no fun if I don't pick any upsets.

That's why I've got Illinois winning the whole thing and extending their NCAA streak to 9 years (or 10, can't remember).

If not for that layup, Illinois would have had their season ending loss be a game in which they blew a double digit lead with under 5 minutes left, FOR THE THIRD STRAIGHT SEASON. I'm glad they won, but it just amazes me how poorly coached they are. Hopefully they at least give Purdue a game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
If not for that layup, Illinois would have had their season ending loss be a game in which they blew a double digit lead with under 5 minutes left, FOR THE THIRD STRAIGHT SEASON. I'm glad they won, but it just amazes me how poorly coached they are. Hopefully they at least give Purdue a game.

Coaching had nothing to do with them almost blowing that game. They missed wide open looks and FTs. There isn't any talent and that is on Weber but the coaching was not an issue.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Coaching had nothing to do with them almost blowing that game. They missed wide open looks and FTs. There isn't any talent and that is on Weber but the coaching was not an issue.

There isn't any talent on this team obviously, but you can't just magically turn it off up double digits like Illinois did today with 4:30 left. Just like they turned it off with 5 minutes left against Washington in 2006 up double digits, just like they turned it off last year against Virginia Tech up double digits with 4 minutes remaining. You've watched all those games, you know the trend. Yeah the talent isn't there, but for you to outplay your oppnent for 35 or 36 mintues by double digits, and then just go four corners and shut it off like Bruce's teams do every year in March, it's just amazingly bad coaching to me.

Now FOURTUNATELY.....Penn State blew an assignment on defense and gave the layup up today, so Illinois didn't lose like they did in those other two examples, but it doesn't change the fact that the coaching down the stretch was awful (although to be fair, the level of play by the players was too, but it still does not excuse Bruce).

The one thing I will say though is a win like that is beneficial to all the players coming back next season. Just to get over that mental stigma of losing every single close game except Missouri and get a win like that in a league game is a plus going into the offseason, even if they lose tomorrow.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
I dont know how you can blame todays game on the coaching. He has absolute no talent on this team and the seniors are a bunch of idiots and I cant wait for them to all be gone. Last year we atleast had Carter and McBride.

They were up 10 on a mediocre team without their two best players with under 5 minutes to go, and had to get a blown assignment aided layup to win the game by one. If the players are good enough to build a 10 point lead in the first 36 minutes, they should at least be able to hold on for the last 4, except for the fact Bruce had them go into the quasi four corners look which already lost them the Washington and Va Tech games the last two seasons. I'm just glad they found a way to win though, seeing them lose every game like this is horrible.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
There isn't any talent on this team obviously, but you can't just magically turn it off up double digits like Illinois did today with 4:30 left. Just like they turned it off with 5 minutes left against Washington in 2006 up double digits, just like they turned it off last year against Virginia Tech up double digits with 4 minutes remaining. You've watched all those games, you know the trend. Yeah the talent isn't there, but for you to outplay your oppnent for 35 or 36 mintues by double digits, and then just go four corners and shut it off like Bruce's teams do every year in March, it's just amazingly bad coaching to me.

We were up 4 with 4:30 left against Washington in 06. And only up by 2 at the TV timeout after a 4 pt play by Dentmon. Washington slowly cut into that lead. Va Tech was bad and the thing I thought Weber messed up there was that we quit attacking. But that game was in large part due to just stupidity on the players part. Warren Carter turned the ball over down the stretch multiple times with no defender even really pressuring him. The problems in close games the last 2 years is in large part just based on the fact we can't score. When you have so much trouble scoring, and can't shoot FTs you are going to struggle down the stretch when pressure is on and the other teams defensive intensity gets higher. Let me ask this, if this team is so poorly coached than how are they in every single game despite having such a lack of talent? Weber does a terrific job game planning. I don't think he has done a great job with adjustments at times but players have to make plays.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
That's why I've got Illinois winning the whole thing and extending their NCAA streak to 9 years (or 10, can't remember).

I really hope your kidding.

Even if Illinois wins the Big Ten they still couldn't make it to the dance.

Pretty sure on that.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
I really hope your kidding.

Even if Illinois wins the Big Ten they still couldn't make it to the dance.

Pretty sure on that.

You couldn't be more wrong. Illinois pulls off their .1% chance of winning the BTT and they get an automatic bid to the tourney.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
You couldn't be more wrong. Illinois pulls off their .1% chance of winning the BTT and they get an automatic bid to the tourney.

You sure, that seems pretty ridiculous.

Then heck Northwestern could win out and get a bid which would be bs.

Edit: Nvm, thats a pretty stupid rule. Hope Purdue kills Illini tomorrow.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
You sure, that seems pretty ridiculous.

Then heck Northwestern could win out and get a bid which would be bs.

Why is it ridiculous? It is the same for every conference in the country (except for the Ivy league who doesn't have a tourney). If you find a way to win 4 games in 4 days and win your conference tourney you deserve to go to the dance.