Big Ten Tournament

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
If living in your delusional world gaining your happiness from IU's problems go right ahead. Once again, you amaze me because you sometimes say smart things and other times are just plain idiotic. Actually thinking IU should have self-imposed a post-season ban this year ranks right up with the all-time stupid things you've posted.

But hey. if finding misery in others makes you happy since your own team can't provide it, I say go right ahead.

:lol: :lol: and I'll leave it at that.

As for back on topic, I'm sure some will whine about the refs in this one, especially if the Badgers win, but they do this all the time. I'm not sure how you can coach a team to not foul and to on the other end draw fouls, but it seems like Wisconsin is able to do it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
:lol: :lol: and I'll leave it at that.

As for back on topic, I'm sure some will whine about the refs in this one, especially if the Badgers win, but they do this all the time. I'm not sure how you can coach a team to not foul and to on the other end draw fouls, but it seems like Wisconsin is able to do it.

I really hope Michigan St. wins this game, my guess is Hughes most likely won't play tomorrows game due to his ankle sprain in this game and hes one of Wisconsins better players.

If Badgers win Minny and Illini would have a solid shot, both these teams just seem to be catching some breaks.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

Wisconsin only outscored MSU 30-18 after Hughes went down.

Wisconsin only beat Texas @ Texas without Hughes.

Hes a good player, but at times hes not a Wisconsin player. Look at his stat line, I bet he was like 1 of 7 or something stupid. Sure he is a great athlete, but he some times he doesnt play with the TEAM.

Illinois or Minnesota still have to beat Wisconsin, and if they do they deserve to be in the tournament.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Wisconsin only outscored MSU 30-18 after Hughes went down.

Wisconsin only beat Texas @ Texas without Hughes.

Hes a good player, but at times hes not a Wisconsin player. Look at his stat line, I bet he was like 1 of 7 or something stupid. Sure he is a great athlete, but he some times he doesnt play with the TEAM.

Illinois or Minnesota still have to beat Wisconsin, and if they do they deserve to be in the tournament.

Well, you outscored them 30-18 today because the Hughes injury was a blessing in disguise since after it, you started to attack them at the basket and get to the free throw line. I thought and still think today's winner of the first game (Wisconsin) will win tommorow, but your guard play (especially without Hughes) is very vulnerable. With that said, I'll take the Badgers by double digits tomorrow regardless of what happens in the next game.

The reason that Wisconsin was able to take advantage of the paint more is because the guards in the game after Hughes went down, Bohannon and Flowers, rarely look to make their own shot early in the clock and dump it down to the big men. Hughes on the other hand some times dribbles around and tries to make his own shot, or takes a deep three, etc.

Does it hurt depth? Sure.

Does it make them vulnerable at guard to a team like Minnesota or Illinois? I really dont think so.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Some really awful basketball so far in this 2nd game.

Well, these two teams are still not very good overall, and they are both tired and playing in a sterile enviornment to boot. This one could be VERY ugly for 40 minutes, even by Big 10 standards.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

They clearly got the clock part right, it started AT LEAST 3 seconds late (I thought it was closer to 5), but it should have been Minnesota ball since they missed the obvious foul/eye gouging by Hoffarber (even if it was on accident, he nearly poked his eye out). Ah well, the ownership continues and on to the finals. It's a great run regardless of what happens tomorrow and gives hope for next season.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
They clearly got the clock part right, it started AT LEAST 3 seconds late (I thought it was closer to 5),

Yeah, what was with the announcer's shock over this? They were dumb enough not to catch it the first time, let alone after 50 replays.

Probably the ugliest basketball game I've ever seen. I thought Illinois vs. Indiana in last year's Big Ten semifinals was bad but this probably beats it.

Anyways, I give us about a 10% chance of winning tomorrow but who would have thought we'd have the chance to win one game to get into the NCAA Tournament?

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
Probably the ugliest basketball game I've ever seen. I thought Illinois vs. Indiana in last year's Big Ten semifinals was bad but this probably beats it.

Anyways, I give us about a 10% chance of winning tomorrow but who would have thought we'd have the chance to win one game to get into the NCAA Tournament?

I'd agree on part 1, I was in attendance at the UC for Illinois/Indiana last year and that was a Suns/Warriors shootout of beauty compared to today. I'd actually also agree on the 10 percent part, but it's just an amazing run (even in a bad league) and hey, all they have to do is have a lucky shooting day like the Purdue game one time and they are in. You never know.

We need an MJ pep talk.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
That was a bulls*** ending, but that game was bad enough where we didn't deserve the chance to win it.

Agreed, sort of. Brock should have been going to the line shooting 2 with about 5 seconds left rather than us just having the ball. End result would have been the same.

Many will wonder the difference with Illinois, and there really hasn't been any. Illinois lost a lot of close games to mediocre Big 10 opponents due to poor free throwing shooting, but in their two games against those kind of teams in this tournament, they are 13-17 against Penn State (76.5 percent) and 16-22 (72.7 percent). Those numbers aren't great, but they are much better for Illinois and turned typical close losses into close wins. And then of course, the Purdue game was just an epic performance from the field (61.2 percent overall, 60 from three) narrowly overcoming everything else and proving that basketball is as simple as making shots sometimes.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
Agreed, sort of. Brock should have been going to the line shooting 2 with about 5 seconds left rather than us just having the ball. End result would have been the same.

Once the call wasn't made though, the Gophers should have had the ball. I don't see how the Illini got the ball with no foul being called, it just doesn't make sense. On the bright side, at least the foul wasn't called after they looked at the replay 50 times, because that would have been even more bulls***.

This shocked me, but looking at the numbers, Shaun Pruitt is having as good and perhaps a better season this year than last, despite the team dropoff.

Rebounds: 7.5 last year, 7.3 this year

Assists: 0.2 last year, 0.8 this year (and he's generally just been an improved, bit still flawed, passer)

FG Pct: 54.9 last year, 57.1 this year

FT Pct: 51.3 last year, 57.1 this year

Steals, blocks, fouls, and minutes are all about the same

I guess a bad season makes it look a lot worse though.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 06:29 PM)
I don't see how the Illini got the ball with no foul being called, it just doesn't make sense.

Isn't it called an official's timeout? That's normally what happens when there's an injury on the floor.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 03:35 AM)
This shocked me, but looking at the numbers, Shaun Pruitt is having as good and perhaps a better season this year than last, despite the team dropoff.

Rebounds: 7.5 last year, 7.3 this year

Assists: 0.2 last year, 0.8 this year (and he's generally just been an improved, bit still flawed, passer)

FG Pct: 54.9 last year, 57.1 this year

FT Pct: 51.3 last year, 57.1 this year

Steals, blocks, fouls, and minutes are all about the same

I guess a bad season makes it look a lot worse though.

people will think pruitt had a bad year for two big reasons. one, the suspension and talk about him being a disruptive force in the lockerroom make him look bad. two, the illinois game even casual fans most paid attention to this year was the game against indiana in champaign, and he choked royally that night.

still, he's had a nice year and will clearly be difficult to replace. he's also really stepped up in the b10 tournament, which has helped. he'll need a huge (i mean HUGE) game today for us to have any chance against wisconsin. the badgers are really playing some fantastic ball lately.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)
Isn't it called an official's timeout? That's normally what happens when there's an injury on the floor.

Normally the play ends, then the officials call their timeout. This happened in the Wisconsin game yesterday too, when Hughes went down. He was on the ground, right in front of the ref, but play continued until the play was over. After it was, the whistle was blown and Hughes was dealt with.

After the foul wasn't called, I don't see how it wasn't called a travel. Apparently you just get a do over if you get hit in the face and no foul is called, but whatever, we wouldn't have won anyway. It just would have been nice to get the chance, especially after that Indiana game.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
Normally the play ends, then the officials call their timeout. This happened in the Wisconsin game yesterday too, when Hughes went down. He was on the ground, right in front of the ref, but play continued until the play was over. After it was, the whistle was blown and Hughes was dealt with.

After the foul wasn't called, I don't see how it wasn't called a travel. Apparently you just get a do over if you get hit in the face and no foul is called, but whatever, we wouldn't have won anyway. It just would have been nice to get the chance, especially after that Indiana game.

I totally agree with this. It's either a foul or a travel, one of those should have been called. The only thing I can think of is that it was an official timeout because he dropped to the floor in the middle of the paint with guys all over him. Hughes fell out by the 3 point line and no one was within 5-6 feet. But even that's a stretch - he traveled before there was any danger which would have caused the officials to call a timeout.

Either way I don't see you winning with only 8 sec left and down 4. But after the Indiana game, who knows. If i'm a gopher fan, i'm excited for what Tubby should/will be able to do. Minny basketball is def on the rise.

As far as illinois' chances today, they're just going to have to play their best game of the year (by far) and hope Wisky misses some shots and/or gets in foul trouble. Either way, it took them until their last game, but they are finally playing with some emotion. I chalk up yesterdays "close" game to Weber having to sub a lot to keep guys fresh for the game against Wisky.