Rove taunted at University of Iowa

HuskyCaucasian

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...ersity-of-iowa/

(CNN) — Former top Bush aide Karl Rove didn't get the friendliest of receptions at the University of Iowa Sunday, CNN affiliate KCRG reports.

Rove, who was paid $40,000 to speak at the University, was confronted with an at-times hostile crowd of 1,000, and was interrupted on several occasions.

At one point during the speech, Rove reportedly lashed out at some of the students, saying, "You got a chance to ask your questions later and make your stupid statements, let me make mine."

Police also were forced to remove two people after they tried to perform a citizen’s arrest on Rove for what they said were his crimes while a member of the Bush Administration.

At one point, a person asked Rove if he has ever shed a tear over the war in Iraq.

"I shed a lot of tears and I have been inspired by many of the people who feel their son or daughter should not have to die in vain," he replied.

Toward the end of the speech a member of the crowd yelled, "Can we have our $40,000 back?"

Rove replied, “No, you can't.”

Radio Iowa also reports one audience member told Rove that MSNBC's Keith Olbermann named him the "worst person ever."

"Ever?" Rove joked. "Yea, worse than Hitler, worse than Stalin, worse than Mao and worse than the person who introduced aluminum baseball bats."

Cameras were only allowed to film the beginning of the speech.

How STUPID is the University of Iowa? A liberal school hires the spinmaster and hatchet man of the Bush administration for $40,000 and expects everything to go well????

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...ersity-of-iowa/

How STUPID is the University of Iowa? A liberal school hires the spinmaster and hatchet man of the Bush administration for $40,000 and expects everything to go well????

Some would say it went very well and Rove was the stupid one for accepting the speaking gig and expecting anything more pleasant. He knew what he was in for and accepted the challenge and the $40,000. I wonder if that is his usual University fee.

BTW, "worse than the person who introduced aluminum baseball bats." :lolhitting :notworthy that is perhaps the first thing he has ever said I could wholeheartedly agree with.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I guess if they can't refute whatever he has to say, they can just be loud.

It doesn't seem as if the format allowed for rebuttals. So yes, all they could be is loud.

It would be equally accurate to say:

I guess if they agree with whatever he has to say, they can just be loud.

And it doesn't seem they agreed.

Police also were forced to remove two people after they tried to perform a citizen’s arrest on Rove for what they said were his crimes while a member of the Bush Administration.

:lolhitting

these kids are completely brainwashed lemmings. 'yesssss professor doucebag, GW Bush is Hitler. Of COURSE!!!! Must. citizen.arrest.him.'

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
For a guy who gets paid $40,000 to show up and talk, he isn't very bright thinking he was going to get off scott free...

I think he knew how his act would play on most college campusus. I doubt he lost any sleep over it. Victory rallies are fun, but protests really get people excited. I viewed this more as a one act play. Almost like him agreeing to be in the campus dunk tank.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
I think he knew how his act would play on most college campusus. I doubt he lost any sleep over it. Victory rallies are fun, but protests really get people excited. I viewed this more as a one act play. Almost like him agreeing to be in the campus dunk tank.

Hell I would show up to be abused for a couple of hours for $40K!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
Hell I would show up to be abused for a couple of hours for $40K!

That's just too easy... (where my picture of low hanging fruit when I need it).

Oh wait, I don't have $40K just laying around. Nevermind, you lucky bastard.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
That's just too easy... (where my picture of low hanging fruit when I need it).

Oh wait, I don't have $40K just laying around. Nevermind, you lucky bastard.

Hell, for you, I'd do it for $40 and a ticket to Dallas ;)

When the one kid ran up and got in his face with the whole 'citizens arrest' thing, Rove should have just punched him right in the nose, saying he feared for his safety, and for all he knew, that crazy man approaching him menacingly could have had a knife or a gun! Now that would have been fun to see.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
:lolhitting

these kids are completely brainwashed lemmings. 'yesssss professor doucebag, GW Bush is Hitler. Of COURSE!!!! Must. citizen.arrest.him.'

Well, who is more brainwashed? Those kids, or the people who actually are convinced by Rove's marketing agenda via Bush?

Not that I disagree about the kids being crazy. Clearly they are.

Video:

I edited this link, athome, because it's damn annoying in that it is embedded (and worse) autostarts right on soxtalk.

If anyone wants to watch, go here.

Edit again... damn it, now I broke it. Sorry. If you want to go back and edit this post, you can post the link, but please don't embed things that play automatically.

Thanks!

Edited by kapkomet

You can disagree, hell you can protest. But the minute you decide to run up, and perform a citizens arrest on someone you have crossed the crazy formula and need to be taken away. From the sounds of his responses he gave as good as he took in. He knew what he would get into, and quietly took the money. I would have loved it if when the Iranian Mini-President would of been confronted by people peforming citizens arrests. Then again the student body was too busy fawning over him.

The morons screaming in the crowd. What exactly did they think they were going to accomplish. Like Rove was going to say, well until you yelled at me I didn't realize what a horrible person I was. I am worse than Hitler, and will commit suicide using a knife, making sure not to consume any more carbon credits. I apologize for my existence. May god have mercy on my soul. I am donating all of my money to the Kook and Crazy library for the insane.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
Heh, IC is EASILY the most liberal city in the state.

Not even close.

No kidding. I makes Waterloo look like conservative farmers or something.

I think Heads will agree with this, but a lot of students at Iowa, at least one's that I know, seem to have a lot of arrogance and think they're better than any other school in the state. They come off as being rude a lot and constantly make fun of Iowa State thinking they're rejects or whatever. I'm sure a lot of states have rivalries between the schools, but students at Iowa are a lot more disrespectful than students at ISU are.

I don't know if this is true or not but my friend said there is not one registered Republican that teaches in Political Science or History. Seems interesting but maybe it's not a big deal. I don't care too much since I don't go there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
In exchange for a couple hours of verbally taunting you...I bet we could come up with that from this site.

screw that, it's free every day :headbang

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Well, who is more brainwashed? Those kids, or the people who actually are convinced by Rove's marketing agenda via Bush?

I'll still go with th college kids.

CITIZENS ARREST!! lol

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
No kidding. I makes Waterloo look like conservative farmers or something.

I think Heads will agree with this, but a lot of students at Iowa, at least one's that I know, seem to have a lot of arrogance and think they're better than any other school in the state. They come off as being rude a lot and constantly make fun of Iowa State thinking they're rejects or whatever. I'm sure a lot of states have rivalries between the schools, but students at Iowa are a lot more disrespectful than students at ISU are.

I don't know if this is true or not but my friend said there is not one registered Republican that teaches in Political Science or History. Seems interesting but maybe it's not a big deal. I don't care too much since I don't go there.

There's little doubt. The weird thing is they are no where near the same way to UNI or Drake.

You know, it's one thing to dislike someone, but it's another thing to not act like a human being, and instead act like some untamed gorilla off the streets. Hell, I bet that gorilla would have been more sensible then those "bright young college kids."