SOX CUT 12

Dick Allen

RHP Lance Broadway, RHP Dewon Day, RHP Charlie Haeger and RHP Oneli Perez were optioned to Class AAA Charlotte;

RHP Lucas Harrell was optioned to Class AA Birmingham;

Requested waivers on LHP Carlos Vasquez for the purpose of granting his unconditional release;

INF Chris Getz, INF Royce Huffman, INF Jeff Liefer, OF Miguel Negron, INF Mike Rouse and C Ryan Smith were reassigned to minor-league camp.

Anyone watching Saturday, and I guess it may have been in the game thread, but Hawk was talking about Negron being the Jays 1st Rd pick in 2001 and he being 25 therefore he still must be considered a high ceiling guy.

I understood his point he just seemed to be trying to convince everyone that the guy should be expected to perform in the next year of two.

It made me chuckle.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
Well, that means that the last remnants of the Neal Cotts trade are gone. Does that also finish off everything we got from the Foulke deal? I think so.

Willy Mota and Miguel Socolovich are still around from the Aardsma deal.

With Haeger and Broadway out, I think that means there is a 99% chance that Masset is in the pen. He's the only pen arm left that can go a few innings.

I'm a little surprised they want to just release Vasquez - he seemed to do well last year. I wonder if something came up in camp we haven't heard about, or if he's got some sort of mechanical issue.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
With Haeger and Broadway out, I think that means there is a 99% chance that Masset is in the pen. He's the only pen arm left that can go a few innings.

I'm a little surprised they want to just release Vasquez - he seemed to do well last year. I wonder if something came up in camp we haven't heard about, or if he's got some sort of mechanical issue.

Or just doing right by him. Maybe he can catch on a 25 somewhere.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)

I'm also surprised, he did have some success last year and I believe some thought he might get called up. Kenny even kept saying we made the Cotts trade not only for Aardsma but for a pitcher named Carlos Vasquez, blah blah. Oh well, :huh:

Pitchers (18): Buehrle, Carrasco, Contreras, Danks, Dotel, Egbert, Floyd, Jenks, Linebrink, Logan, MacDougal, Masset, Ohka, Russell, Sisco, Thornton, Vazquez, Wassermann

Catchers (5): Armstrong, Hall, Lucy, Phillips, Pierzynski

Infielders (10): Cabrera, Crede, Eldred, Fields, Konerko, Ozuna, Ramirez, Richar, Uribe, Thome (DH)

Outfielders (6): Anderson, Bourgeois, Dye, Owens, Quentin, Swisher

Happy, Pappy?

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
With Carlos Vasquez gone that clears a spot on the 40

Thanks for saying that, I was wondering that after I saw that... The question now becomes, who are they targeting that they opened up a spot on the 40 man... Any theories?

QUOTE(flavum @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
Pitchers (18): Buehrle, Carrasco, Contreras, Danks, Dotel, Egbert, Floyd, Jenks, Linebrink, Logan, MacDougal, Masset, Ohka, Russell, Sisco, Thornton, Vazquez, Wassermann

Catchers (5): Armstrong, Hall, Lucy, Phillips, Pierzynski

Infielders (10): Cabrera, Crede, Eldred, Fields, Konerko, Ozuna, Ramirez, Richar, Uribe, Thome (DH)

Outfielders (6): Anderson, Bourgeois, Dye, Owens, Quentin, Swisher

Happy, Pappy?

Thank you.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
Thanks for saying that, I was wondering that after I saw that... The question now becomes, who are they targeting that they opened up a spot on the 40 man... Any theories?

Probably a "just-in-case" scenario. Like if an injury happens, or they trade Crede or Uribe two-for-one. Although I don't know how or where you would list them?

Infielders: Balls, Bag-of

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)

Possibly Tomo Ohka, but with possible trades of Crede, Uribe, Anderson, and Masset, I wouldn't read into this too much. For all we know, Vasquez may have had a b**** session in Guillen's office this morning when they were going to send him down, and KW just released him instead.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Maybe JB making the team?

Making the team or perhaps clearing a 40 man spot for him.

And I say we officially ban the nickname JB lol, because it has been used by like 20 other Sox players in the past. Let's just call him Boozie

Yeah that was my thought as well regarding the Vazquez release, it opens up a chance for Bourgeois to make the 25 man roster.

Whether that's a good thing for the likes of Anderson and Ramirez (the former more likely to make the team at this stage), I don't know.

Still a lot of questions to be answered.