More fun with Hugo Chavez

jackie hayes

Hugo Chavez is now being financially linked to FARC after Columbia seized FARC laptops after a raid. Supposedly, "Angel" (a code name for Chavez) offered up to $300 mil to these nice activists. There's no evidence that any support ever actually took place.

Now the US has to decide -- on the verge of a recession, do you put a large oil supplier on the list of terrorist supporting nations?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...id=opinionsbox1

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Now the US has to decide -- on the verge of a recession, do you put a large oil supplier on the list of terrorist supporting nations?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...id=opinionsbox1

Of course! It rises the price of oil and pads their pockets.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

The evil commies are coming to get us(again)!!!

If only Ronnie Raygun was still alive. He would know how to handle this. By funding terrorist contras of course!

I think we could show Hugo how to fund terrorists the proper way.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
The evil commies are coming to get us(again)!!!

If only Ronnie Raygun was still alive. He would know how to handle this. By funding terrorist contras of course!

I think we could show Hugo how to fund terrorists the proper way.

Is this directed at me? :huh: If so, you're spending yr sarcasm on the wrong person.

Left or right, you have to consider that Venezuela is one of our major suppliers (behind Canada & Saudi Arabia). It's a pickle.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
Is this directed at me? :huh: If so, you're spending yr sarcasm on the wrong person.

Left or right, you have to consider that Venezuela is one of our major suppliers (behind Canada & Saudi Arabia). It's a pickle.

Ideally, Congress and the next Presidential administration will work on energy policy so that we won't be in so many "pickles".

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)

It was directed at people who foam at the mouth when Hugo Chavez name is mentioned. If you have a problem with him giving money to the FARC army, than you should also have a problem with the American goverment which gives billions of dollars to President Uribe. Who has had ties to extreme right wing terrorist paramilitary groups like AUC.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
It was directed at people who foam at the mouth when Hugo Chavez name is mentioned. If you have a problem with him giving money to the FARC army, than you should also have a problem with the American goverment which gives billions of dollars to President Uribe. Who has had ties to extreme right wing terrorist paramilitary groups like AUC.

That so? I should be just as angry at the American government for currently supporting a president who oversaw the demobbing of the AUC because there exist rumors of past "ties" as I should be at a government that is currently offering financial support to current terrorists?

No thanks, I like my priorities the way they are.

Let see, Uribe is TRYING to fight the rampant drug trade with US help, Hugo is busy stealing foreign business under the umbrella of 'Nationalizing' them. Uribe at least appears to try and be an ally of the US, while Hugo thinks every time someone looks cross eyed at him they are aiming a sniper rifle at his head. Hugo makes the Ron Paul-bots look like Cub Scouts on the crazy scale.

I'm not, btw, saying Uribe is a saint. Going unannounced into another country is certainly a questionable move, and I do buy some of what I read about labor trouble. And, it wouldn't surprise me if he was partial to the AUC in the past (though it would surprise me somewhat if he offered any official, material support). But his current popularity is based on his success in reducing violence, overall. That seems better than giving $300 mil to a kidnapping, trafficking, sometimes murderous guerrilla group. And whatever happened, it doesn't excuse giving $300 mil to such a group.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm not, btw, saying Uribe is a saint. Going unannounced into another country is certainly a questionable move, and I do buy some of what I read about labor trouble. And, it wouldn't surprise me if he was partial to the AUC in the past (though it would surprise me somewhat if he offered any official, material support). But his current popularity is based on his success in reducing violence, overall. That seems better than giving $300 mil to a kidnapping, trafficking, sometimes murderous guerrilla group. And whatever happened, it doesn't excuse giving $300 mil to such a group.

I just seems like Uribe get's a free pass because he's an ally of the USA. This is a guy who has had tie's to paramilitary terrorist's and drug cartel's. 75 governors, mayors, and Congressional politicians alleged or found guilty of having direct links to the paramilitary under him. The ongoing suppression of trade-unionism, assassinations of left-of-centre activists and politicians.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
I just seems like Uribe get's a free pass because he's an ally of the USA. This is a guy who has had tie's to paramilitary terrorist's and drug cartel's. 75 governors, mayors, and Congressional politicians alleged or found guilty of having direct links to the paramilitary under him. The ongoing suppression of trade-unionism, assassinations of left-of-centre activists and politicians.

I don't think that's as true of Uribe as it is of, say, Musharraf. The "ties" are all in the past, and there isn't much hard evidence. Many of the allegations seem to be politically motivated, many look dubious. The prosecution of all those politicians has been under his watch, and he hasn't tried to obstruct the process. And if by assassinations you mean the killing of FARC leaders, well, of course he's done that. I don't know of any time he's assassinated a pacific leftist elected official, though. The trade unions thing I'd agree with, from what I know.

But on the whole, it's a big stretch to say that the US is supporting terrorism by supporting someone who's reducing violence and demobbed the right-wing groups. A really, really big stretch.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
I don't think that's as true of Uribe as it is of, say, Musharraf. The "ties" are all in the past, and there isn't much hard evidence. Many of the allegations seem to be politically motivated, many look dubious. The prosecution of all those politicians has been under his watch, and he hasn't tried to obstruct the process. And if by assassinations you mean the killing of FARC leaders, well, of course he's done that. I don't know of any time he's assassinated a pacific leftist elected official, though. The trade unions thing I'd agree with, from what I know.

But on the whole, it's a big stretch to say that the US is supporting terrorism by supporting someone who's reducing violence and demobbed the right-wing groups. A really, really big stretch.

The evidence against Hugo Chavez supporting the FARC is also suspect. As it also could be politically motivated.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
The evidence against Hugo Chavez supporting the FARC is also suspect. As it also could be politically motivated.

It involves electronic files that are physically in the possession of Columbia. It's not some unsupported testimonial, like someone remembering Uribe by his glasses years before he wore glasses.

If you want to defend what Chavez did, I wish you'd just do it instead of trying to deflect criticism.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
It involves electronic files that are physically in the possession of Columbia. It's not some unsupported testimonial, like someone remembering Uribe by his glasses years before he wore glasses.

If you want to defend what Chavez did, I wish you'd just do it instead of trying to deflect criticism.

I'm not defending Chavez. I think the United States should leave him alone. I think they should stop funding Uribe also.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
I'm not defending Chavez. I think the United States should leave him alone. I think they should stop funding Uribe also.

By "leave him alone", do you mean the US should not add Venezuela to the state-supporters-of-terrorism list, even though FARC is recognized as a terrorist organization?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
By "leave him alone", do you mean the US should not add Venezuela to the state-supporters-of-terrorism list, even though FARC is recognized as a terrorist organization?

Correct. The FARC is a Belligerent army not a terrorist oranization. Well in mine and other people's opinion.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Correct. The FARC is a Belligerent army not a terrorist oranization. Well in mine and other people's opinion.

Kidnapping for ransom. That's not a war crime at all, now. Among other activities.

That's all nice and everything, but I really don't care what your opinion is. FARC has been recognized as a terrorist organization for a long time. The question is, when that designation is made, can the US not take action against a foreign government that supports that group or attempts to support that group?

I guess it was dumb to expect anyone even half moderate to click on a Hugo Chavez thread.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
Kidnapping for ransom. That's not a war crime at all, now. Among other activities.

That's all nice and everything, but I really don't care what your opinion is. FARC has been recognized as a terrorist organization for a long time. The question is, when that designation is made, can the US not take action against a foreign government that supports that group or attempts to support that group?

I guess it was dumb to expect anyone even half moderate to click on a Hugo Chavez thread.

So if you commit a war crime that makes you a terrorist organization? So hasn't the U.S commited war crimes? Doe's that make us a terrorist organization?

If you don't care what my opinion is than why respond. I'm glad to not be a moderate.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
So if you commit a war crime that makes you a terrorist organization? So hasn't the U.S commited war crimes? Doe's that make us a terrorist organization?

If you don't care what my opinion is than why respond. I'm glad to not be a moderate.

Are you equating FARC to the US? If so, I think you may be as crazy as Hugo, but with less oil.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Are you equating FARC to the US? If so, I think you may be as crazy as Hugo, but with less oil.

I was actually explaining how neither are terrorist organization's. How do you know I don't have more oil than Hugo. I've been saving up for years.