Obama's Pastor

Controlled Chaos

:D

I'm glad you guys all like this Rev Wright guy so much. Just a little warning, the guy has more stuff coming down the pipes. A lot of anti-semitic stuff. But I'm sure some of you will support such remarks as well. Unfortunately for Obama, most voters don't agree with this kind of rhetoric.

Edited by mr_genius

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)

I'm glad you guys all like this Rev Wright guy so much. Just a little warning, the guy has more stuff coming down the pipes. A lot of anti-semitic stuff. But I'm sure some of you will support such remarks as well. Unfortunately for Obama, most voters don't agree with this kind of rhetoric.

Obviously you havent read through this thread because you clearly would have seen that logic isnt a prerequisite.

Interesting, however I'd rather have an investigation on one of my local community churches. The guy built a 400k house, which heck of a lot in Iowa. The council gave him a raise, there are 3 people on the council, the pastor and his wife are 2 of the 3 on the council. Anyways I unless there is something fishy going on, I don't see a problem with it too. Evidently even if it's a rich white society he's banking in the bucks too.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
Obviously you havent read through this thread because you clearly would have seen that logic isnt a prerequisite.

He may also have seen that no one has actually said anything remotely like supporting his rhetoric.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)

Elizabeth Hasselbeck has to be the prettiest dipsh*t in the world. Every time she opens her mouth on that show something stupid comes out. I still think it was funny when her and Rosie got into that argument, when the next guest Alicia Silverstone came out, she completely and obviously walked around and away from EH ang gave everyone else a hug

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)

I don't remember hearing anything anti-semitic. The Anti-Defamation League says it has no evidence of any anti-Semitism by Wright.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
He may also have seen that no one has actually said anything remotely like supporting his rhetoric.

Let me clarify then the impression I get. You might not be condoning the stuff that he says but you are challenging the validity of it. When I post something that I clearly say is my opinion and I have Obama supporters jump all over me for a source or to question the context of what was said its almost as if youre acting as if my opinion is on trial and you are Wrights attorney making sure I havent made my assumptions prematurely and that all my opinions are 100% valid. However, my opinion isnt on trial and to be honest its just as valid as anyone elses in the thread and just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean that its wrong. There is more evidence to prove this guy is racist than there is evidence to prove he isnt so for you to question anybody elses opinions because you dont agree with them and act as if this is a Supreme Court trial and people cant draw conclusions unless they can be proven beyond a reasonable is wrong. In reality this is a message board and when people discuss something like this and it gets heated as it always will an administrators opinions dont automatically become the right opinions and not one person in this thread has any more credibility in terms of what people use to come to them than anyone else.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Let me clarify then the impression I get. You might not be condoning the stuff that he says but you are challenging the validity of it. When I post something that I clearly say is my opinion and I have Obama supporters jump all over me for a source or to question the context of what was said its almost as if youre acting as if my opinion is on trial and you are Wrights attorney making sure I havent made my assumptions prematurely and that all my opinions are 100% valid. However, my opinion isnt on trial and to be honest its just as valid as anyone elses in the thread and just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean that its wrong. There is more evidence to prove this guy is racist than there is evidence to prove he isnt so for you to question anybody elses opinions because you dont agree with them and act as if this is a Supreme Court trial and people cant draw conclusions unless they can be proven beyond a reasonable is wrong. In reality this is a message board and when people discuss something like this and it gets heated as it always will an administrators opinions dont automatically become the right opinions and not one person in this thread has any more credibility in terms of what people use to come to them than anyone else.

Like Obama said on the View yesterday...if someone were to take the 4 or 5 worst things you've said in the past 20 years and kept showing them on the news over and over again, everyone would think you were an awful person (paraphrased).

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
I don't remember hearing anything anti-semitic. The Anti-Defamation League says it has no evidence of any anti-Semitism by Wright.

Would you consider Hamas anti-semetic? This is from the column I linked to a couple of days ago.

It is important to point out that new evidence makes that association even more shocking. The latest on Rev. Wright and his bigotry comes in the form of Rev. Wright and his church supporting Hamas, a terrorist organization that has murdered Americans and Israelis. A headline from a WorldNetDaily dispatch reads, "Obama church published Hamas terror manifesto: Compares charter calling for murder of Jews to Declaration of Independence."

The WorldNetDaily dispatch reported, "The Hamas piece was published on the 'Pastor's Page' of the Trinity United Church of Christ newsletter reserved for Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., whose anti-American, anti-Israel remarks landed Obama in hot water, prompting the presidential candidate to deliver a major race speech."

Making that pro-Hamas, pro-terrorist, pro-murder, pro-genocide position of Rev. Wright and Mr. Obama's church even more disturbing is the fact that Robert Malley, an Obama adviser, has advocated negotiations with Hamas and international assistance to this organization, which has been declared by our own state department and by other governments as a terrorist group.

Unless the church is doing something illegal, which apparently they are not, I see absolutely zero wrong with that and I actually don't even think it's newsworthy.

By the way, it sounds like the guy he bought the house from is the owner of Kenny's Ribs. I love that place.

Exactly.

Besides, there aren't any pastors on the right wing that live in huge houses or make a ton of dough.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
Like Obama said on the View yesterday...if someone were to take the 4 or 5 worst things you've said in the past 20 years and kept showing them on the news over and over again, everyone would think you were an awful person (paraphrased).

Like I tried to say in my last post. I dont have a case built up against Wright where I would be able to overwhelmingly prove that he is a racist. However, nobody else on here has anything concrete of the opposite. Also, you have to realize how weak the argument it is to compare stuff Ive said over 20 years to what Wright said. Now if you want to take things that Ive said when Im with my friends thats one thing, which isnt is under attack for Wright because who knows what he says in those circumstances. However, if you want to take things that Ive said to strangers, on camera, to people Im supposed to advise and to children and families than I can safely tell you that you wouldnt be able to find anything that can remotely be compared to what Wright says and thats the difference.

Obama himself realized what this guy is doing is wrong and he even felt the need to say he disagrees with him and separated himself from his views but some Obama supporters sit here and still try and say it might be taken out of context or its only a small sample of the mans views or whatever other excuses have been thrown around in this thread. This guy is spewing hate to lots of people and people are overlooking it if they like Obama even though Obama himself acknowledged he disagrees with it and that the point when I call people apologists. As I keep saying, I know its my opinion that this man is racist but in actuality it is a very valid opinion and I came to it in an acceptable manner, and for people to question it and use excuses like "imagine how bad you would look if they took the 5 worst things youve said in 20 years, even though that argument is BS because as I said above this info wasnt cherry picked from 20 years of this mans life, these are comments hes made relatively recently on a public stage for the world to see and that isnt something moot that someone just says in the same manner of talking amongst your friends or family.

Its people like Wright that are putting up huge roadblocks in repairing the relationships between blacks and whites by encouraging hate and intolerance and for people to defend him on here honestly boggles my mind.

Here's a comparison... how come when Don Imus called that women's basketball team "nappy headed hos", he got pretty much crucified... but when this Jeremiah Wright guy says much more offensive stuff, and whole lot more offensive stuff, people make excuses for him?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Here's a comparison... how come when Don Imus called that women's basketball team "nappy headed hos", he got pretty much crucified... but when this Jeremiah Wright guy says much more offensive stuff, and whole lot more offensive stuff, people make excuses for him?

Are you really that dim?

Imus = Advertiser supported public radio host with nationwide television and radio simulcast

Wright = Privately funded and supported pastor.

There's no advertisers. There's no FCC.

/Thought the Imus firing was stupid.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)

1 - who is the judge of how offensive something is or should be to someone else?

2 - who is making "excuses" for Wright? Besides saying "it's ridiculous to think he actually preached nothing but hate for 20 years"?

3 - I wasn't here posting about it but I thought the reaction to Imus's comments was insanity, it wasn't that big of a deal to me.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

Its because of an underlying double standard that exists and there are always going to be people that will defend one side and those same people will make defending the other side irrational. For example: Don Imus=idiot that said something stupid and got crucified Pastor Wright=public figure who prepares everything he says and tries to promote hate on varying levels. Nobody has even addressed Yasnys post about what Wright wrote about Hamas that was posted on his churches web site.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
Its people like Wright that are putting up huge roadblocks in repairing the relationships between blacks and whites by encouraging hate and intolerance

Which makes Obama's views on race and bringing people together even more impressive for me.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
Which makes Obama's views on race and bringing people together even more impressive for me.

To me its kind of a gray area. He never would have given that speech if it wasnt for Wrights videos so his motives can be distorted. I also dont think he touched on anything that can be looked at as a solution but instead he just acknowledged that there are problems.

Also, this discussion seems to be more about what was said by Wright instead of about Obama or his speech. For the most part I have given up on my views on Obama on here because I realize they are just extreme opinions and there isnt much point to arguing about them. My topic of concern, at least in this thread, is more about my thoughts on Wright being racist.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
To me its kind of a gray area. He never would have given that speech if it wasnt for Wrights videos so his motives can be distorted. I also dont think he touched on anything that can be looked at as a solution but instead he just acknowledged that there are problems.

Also, this discussion seems to be more about what was said by Wright instead of about Obama or his speech. For the most part I have given up on my views on Obama on here because I realize they are just extreme opinions and there isnt much point to arguing about them. My topic of concern, at least in this thread, is more about my thoughts on Wright being racist.

My topic of concern is not about Wright being racist. That's a given. The man is slime. My point is that the great uniter Obama sat through all this hateful rhetoric that Wrights was spewing, and still won't disassociate himself from the man. Add in Mrs. Obama's recent remarks, and I am very leery of Obama. In other words, like when most politicians open their mouths, I don't believe a word Obama says. I believe in addition to being a very eloquent speaker, he's a world class bulls***ter.

And Bomber, don't expect any comments on the Hamas thing. Those things get strategically ignored.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Would you consider Hamas anti-semetic? This is from the column I linked to a couple of days ago.

I read the article on Pastors Page. I didn't see snything written about murdering jews. It was a short article, barely two pages.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
I read the article on Pastors Page. I didn't see snything written about murdering jews. It was a short article, barely two pages.

I guess the fact that he supports Hamas is irrelevent.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
My topic of concern is not about Wright being racist. That's a given. The man is slime. My point is that the great uniter Obama sat through all this hateful rhetoric that Wrights was spewing, and still won't disassociate himself from the man. Add in Mrs. Obama's recent remarks, and I am very leery of Obama. In other words, like when most politicians open their mouths, I don't believe a word Obama says. I believe in addition to being a very eloquent speaker, he's a world class bulls***ter.

And Bomber, don't expect any comments on the Hamas thing. Those things get strategically ignored.

Wrong. You linked to one story which references an article in an extreme right-wing paper, and left the rest of us to chase link after link to find any hint of context. Now, time is finite, and if it's not worth your time to provide the full context, I don't see why I should spend mine on it.

What, exactly, was the endorsement? Did he say that everything Hamas does and all the points in its charter are good? Or that this one article, which does not mention killing all Jews, is good?

The "Declaration of Independence" bit is particularly misleading. The article is NOT arguing that the charter is exemplary, as we typically see the D of I to be; it's arguing that most foundational documents are in some sense morally questionable -- as the D of I was hypocritical in calling for equality while denying equality to slaves. The effect is in fact to dismiss the charter, to argue that Hamas should not be judged by it. The church is publishing an article, then, that contains an apology for and renunciation (however minor and unconvincing) of the charter which contains the words about killing Jews.

Yet this is twisted by the article you quote into being supportive of the idea of murdering Jews. Ridiculous.

If you want a reply next time you post something, post the ACTUAL TEXT you're talking about, or a link to it. Don't ask all of us to go on a goddam goose chase and then say that we're "strategically ignoring" you when we don't feel like wasting the next half-hour of our lives.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
I guess the fact that he supports Hamas is irrelevent.

ok, he's an awful man. He is the worst person ever. What do you want us do? Should we arrest him? Should Obama have to quit the race, should he be arrested for supporting a terrorist? All these different things keep on being put out there, but no one is saying what we should do.

I'm asking what would you like Obama and Rev. Wright to do? So we can end this and talk about things that actually effect our lives.

Edited by GoSox05

Don Imus was awful, I have no qualms about him getting fired even if it's for the wrong reasons. Although, what he got fired for is an example of how bad he was. If you are going to get fired for an offensive joke, at least add that funny factor.