College Football Spring Thread

Missouri started practicing this week so I'm assuming that means everyone else did too. I'm gonna try to go to some of the practices for my newspaper. I found out an interesting nugget from one of the student assistants who is a friend of mine. It was reported in the Columbia Tribune, but they didn't have the full story that I heard.

PRACTICE NOTES: As for the actual workout, a couple special guests observed the entire practice, including Ohio State defensive coordinator Jim Heacock, who edged Missouri O-Coordinator Dave Christensen for the Frank Broyles Award last season. Heacock and Pinkel coached on the same staff for a year at Bowling Green then for five years at Washington. Speaking of the Huskies, UW Coach Tyrone Willingham’s defensive staff was in attendance, too.

I was told that Ohio State was trying to copy the style of Missouri's defense. I thought that was surprising considering that wouldn't be the unit I would think teams would be copying. Anyway, I figure a few people here might be interested by that and we can start a thread about spring football. I thought there might be enough interest.

• 2 weeks later...

ISU begins spring practice today. A lot of spots up for grabs, including QB, RB and some of the O-Line.

Sat, Apr 19 Spring Game Ames, Iowa 12:00 p.m.

Thu, Aug 28 South Dakota State Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Sep 06 Kent State Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Sep 13 Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa TBA

Sat, Sep 20 UNLV at Las Vegas, Nev. TBA

Sat, Oct 04 Kansas * Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Oct 11 Baylor * at Waco, Texas TBA

Sat, Oct 18 Nebraska * Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Oct 25 Texas A&M * Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma State * at Stillwater, Okla. TBA

Sat, Nov 08 Colorado * at Boulder, Colo. TBA

Sat, Nov 15 Missouri * Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Nov 22 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. TBA

Not a game on that schedule we don't have a chance in. Although Spring Game has proven to be a tough opponent in years past.

NIU started spring practice yesterday. It's been opened to the public for the first time in years, and at least the first practice looked nothing like the practices Joe Novak had at all (most noteably, the QB's actually had to run). Coach Kill has said there is no depth chart and that other than Larry English's defensive end spot, every place on the depth chart is open to be won or lost. A lot of offseason surgeries mean a dozen or so guys from last year are out, but we're still healthy compared to the end of the season when we had more injuries than any team I have ever seen. We have a 5th year senior QB back, but I expect one of two redshirt freshman QB's to win the job because the system entails a more mobile QB than the old system did, and the senior QB is still pretty injured. Our season opener is August 30th at Minnesota.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
one for illinois. zook is sitting five players for the spring for not living up to his academic standards. these guys are academically eligible, but will not play.

blog item

Zook is the man. Not many coaches would do that to eligible players. Phil sure wouldn't...

Edited by dasox24

a few more illini notes after perusing the mass of "first day" stories today.

-britt miller is moving to middle linebacker to take over for j leman. zook listed martez wilson and rodney pittman as his olbs.

-deangelo mccray (second knee surgery), arrelious benn (shoulder surgery), travon bellamy (two shoulder surgeries), and troy pollard (knee surgery) will be limited in the spring and will not play extensively.

-chris duvalt, who was at defensive back, has moved to wide receiver.

-most of the running back carries in the spring will go to daniel dufrene and freshman mikel leshoure. jason ford and pollard will also vie for the starting job in the summer.

Rough year for the Huskers last year. Hopefully they can turn things around

Date Opponent Location Time (CT) Results Media Sat, Apr 19 Red/White Spring Game Memorial Stadium 1 p.m.

Sat, Aug 30 Western Michigan Memorial Stadium TBA

Sat, Sep 06 San Jose State Memorial Stadium TBA

Sat, Sep 13 New Mexico State Memorial Stadium TBA

Sat, Sep 27 Virginia Tech Memorial Stadium TBA

Sat, Oct 04 Missouri * Memorial Stadium TBA

Sat, Oct 11 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas TBA

Sat, Oct 18 Iowa State * at Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Oct 25 Baylor * Memorial Stadium TBA

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. TBA

Sat, Nov 08 Kansas * Memorial Stadium TBA

Sat, Nov 15 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. TBA

Fri, Nov 28 Colorado * Memorial Stadium TBA

Edited by rangercal

Texas Tech's spring is going well so far, and there is news now that Tech is seeking a waiver for sitting out a year on DT Chris Perry's transfer from Miami. If he can be added as well as several 4 star DL from Juco, this could finally be the year Tech wins the South.

Justin Boren, who started for Michigan on the offensive line last year as a sophomore, has left the team. People speculating because he thought RichRod's spring practice was too hard. Aw, poor baby. See ya.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
Justin Boren, who started for Michigan on the offensive line last year as a sophomore, has left the team. People speculating because he thought RichRod's spring practice was too hard. Aw, poor baby. See ya.

And Boren's statement.

One thing seems certain. Justin Boren isn't going to play for Michigan anymore. Consider his prepared statement:

"I regret leaving behind my (Michigan) friends and teammates, but I need to stand up for what I know is right.

"I wore the winged helmet with pride, whether we won or lost, whether things were going well or times were tough. Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.

"I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. That same helmet, that I was raised on and proudly claimed for the last two years, now brings a completely different emotion to me, one that interferes with practicing and playing my best and mentally preparing for what is required. …

"I wish my teammates the best and will always be proud to have been a part of Michigan football over the past two years."

Rodriguez was terse in his reaction, much as he was when quarterback Ryan Mallett -- who was projected to be the starter before Carr retired -- transferred to Arkansas.

"I only talk about the guys who play for Michigan," Rodriguez told The Detroit News.

Two other offensive linemen, Alex Mitchell and Jeremy Ciulla, also have left the program.

The only people speculating its because practice was too hard are the people trying to feel better about their top lineman leaving, and possibly paying his own way to play for their rival, and bringing his little brother with him. This is a kid who was a UM football legacy and was recruited PERSONALLY by Bo.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
one for illinois. zook is sitting five players for the spring for not living up to his academic standards. these guys are academically eligible, but will not play.

blog item

they'll be there for fall. if they miss a game it'll be against some s*** school.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
And Boren's statement.

The only people speculating its because practice was too hard are the people trying to feel better about their top lineman leaving, and possibly paying his own way to play for their rival, and bringing his little brother with him. This is a kid who was a UM football legacy and was recruited PERSONALLY by Bo.

Funny how you know everything.

When this news first came out I was a bit skeptical about what was going on, not liking the fact their most experienced offensive lineman was leaving. But I no longer worry about it. Boren simply didn't want to work at it. It sucks because he has talent and his brother is talented also.

Maybe some people have different definitions of family values. But from everything I have gathered from practice reports, HS coaches, former players, etc. Rodriguez runs his program completely based on it being a big family. He's hard on the players, no doubt. Michigan before hit very little in the spring and did everything they could not to get their starters hurt. Their S&C program lacked accountability and was practically voluntary. That is no longer the case.

They have been going through grueling S&C workouts that the players hate. They are running more than they ever imagined and the linemen hate it.

The coaches yell and curse more than the previous regime. But they also give them time for one on one meetings with assistants and position coaches and RRod is available to them. They are hitting in spring practice, including going live with their QB's. They are challenging guys to degrees they have not seen before. On the flip side, they had a scrimmage yesterday where they gave out awards. They invited families of the players to come and watch from the sideline and provide a picnic-like atmosphere.

Cuilla was an OL 5th yr SR that wasn't going to play and had not. 5th year guys not coming back for their final season has been common with this program for years, and I assume others as well. Mitchell was considered fat and lazy last year under the old regime. His leaving is not a shock at all.

Any time you have a coaching change you are going to see attrition in the first year. Some guys just aren't going to like the new way of doing things. That's okay. I hated to lose Boren, but am okay with it. I'm still not convinced I am going to like the new offense, but am willing to give it time to grow on me. The first year will have some bumps in the road. But nowhere have I gotten any indication that Boren's claims about "family atmosphere" are anything but someone trying to justify their decision. I wish he would have stayed and stuck it out. It would have made him a better, tougher player. Sometimes you have to work through problems rather than run from them. Unfortunately, running is the easier thing to do. This obviously applies to all walks of life, not just Michigan football.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
You could've just posted the webpage for the scout UM boards and people could have read UM fan's view on it, like I said UM fan's will have all the same view on it.

And yours is completely objective?

Whatever

i think you have to expect this kind of attrition any time a program changes. when i was a sophomore in college our team underwent a coaching change and in the very first team meeting the coach told us to look at the guys sitting around us and understand that most of them weren't going to be sitting there next year. he was right.

so in that regard, i don't blame rr for whatever he's done. a new coach has to come in and establish his own culture and own way of doing things. now, i have heard from people both at michigan and west virginia that rr is not everyone's cup of tea, and he is much, much more hands-on than carr was. maybe that was too much for boren. it doesn't mean that he's a yssup or can't hang, it just means it was time to move on.

the only criticism that i'd really level in this case is with boren's statement. i think he opened his former teammates up to a lot of uncomfortable questions from the media by stating things as strongly as he did. probably he'd rethink that approach if given another chance and would maybe attempt to take a more neutral tact.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi040808.htm

Character concerns drop Talib, Manningham from multiple draft boards

By Nolan Nawrocki

April 8, 2008

Two potential first-round, early-entry juniors — Kansas CB Aqib Talib and Michigan WR Mario Manningham — have been removed from the draft boards of multiple NFL teams because of character concerns.

Specifically, Talib admitted at the Combine to testing positive for marijuana three times while at the University of Kansas, according to several league sources. While teams appreciated Talib’s honesty, it bothered one team that Talib dismissed the first positive test because he said he had told Kansas head coach Mark Mangino that he was going to test positive.

Manningham, unlike Talib, denied testing positive at any time throughout college when the question was posed at the Combine about his past marijuana use. He also worked out poorly at the Combine after having waited to sign an agent and showing up unprepared to the annual event.

After hiring an agent, however, Manningham showed up in better physical condition at his pro day and ran considerably faster. He also distributed a letter to NFL team officials admitting that he "wasn't straightforward" during team interviews at the Combine, had failed two drug tests while at the University of Michigan and apologized for any confusion he caused as a result of being “nervous and scared.”

“I don’t use marijuana anymore — and I have passed tests since,” Manningham wrote in the letter. “I know what is at stake for me, and my career. I am learning what it is going to take to be a professional. I am writing this letter because I just want a fair evaluation, and I want to be accountable for my actions. I am willing to be re-interviewed, re-tested, and to undergo any evaluation any team wants me to undergo.”

The way we hear it, Manningham, despite handling the situation poorly at the Combine with little guidance, is viewed as less of a character risk than Talib, who has been removed from more draft boards than Manningham, based on conversations PFW has had with nine NFL teams.

“There is no way I’d touch (Talib),” one team told PFW. “He’s gotten into a lot of trouble, and he still does not get it.”

“He’s got a laundry list of issues,” another team executive said of Talib's off-the-field behavior. “He’s not a one-time offender. Give a guy like him money, and it never gets better. It only gets worse.”

Talib was suspended for two games in 2006 for disciplinary reasons and has numerous non-drug-related issues that concern teams, although he has told teams that he has changed his ways since his daughter was born on June 22, 2007.

Manningham has drawn more sympathy than Talib from teams who have interviewed the pair.

“(Manningham) does not have a strong support network; he just had his grandfather. He needs a lot of guidance," a club official told PFW. "He is embarrassed by his past. He’s really reserved and quiet. Lloyd Carr vouches for him, and they have not always seen eye to eye.”

Manningham was also suspended for the Eastern Michigan game last season "due to Coach Carr's determination that I was lacking in focus," Manningham wrote in his letter.

Both players could still wind up being drafted in the first round, because they possess great football playing instincts and elite athletic ability. However, they could easily slide a round because too many teams have removed them from draft consideration.

Is college football to the point where kids arent suspended for testing positive for drugs? I didnt know that could happen. I'd still want the Bears to take Manningham.

Edited by RockRaines

as an addendum to the boren discussion, he was at ohio state's practice yesterday.

that aside, here's a report from illinois's spring practices. the one thing that has really emerged in ever report i've read is that our defensive line looks like it is going to be really, really good. potentially, eight guys will play.

practice report

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Turns out the Buckeye's Eugene Clifford was suspended last season because he failed a drug test as well.

How come we dont hear much about this?

Schools keep it under wraps. "Violation of team rules" is a safer way of suspending someone.

In all honesty I think that is the way it should be. These guys are college students. They are under the microscope enough. They don't need to have every f*** up they make detailed in the national news.

When you consider the players are in their late teens and early twenties, I think it's fair that we rarely hear about the reasons why they are suspended and it's just referred to as "a violation of teams rules". But yeah, if you hear the term "violated team rules", it almost always means:

1. Failed a drug test

2. Failed/failing a class

3. Failed to make it to practice on time (or at all)

4. Got into some trouble at the bar/club

Only so much trouble you can get into at college for the most part, since schools are often in smaller to medium sized towns.