Gavin Floyd

joejoesox

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Bottom line is he's the Sox starter, whether you like it or not. I think its pretty petty for people to rip him on one start in spring training as opposed to seeing what he does at the major league level.

Plus, if any of you had a clue, you'd realize that pitchers tend to go through a dead arm period during spring and this isn't some typical Hawk BS that he will ocassionally spew to make excuses (I've heard it countlessly from analysts and current/former pitchers over and over and that includes Steve Stone who isn't the type of guy that makes excuses).

Yes, Floyd had some bad starts last year, but he also had some good starts against the Tigers and like it or not is the starter. b****ing and moaning isn't going to change it and making stupid comments after he's had multiple starts this spring where he's thrown consistently above 90MPH (well at least based upon what I've read and your right, maybe there is some major conspiracy by the Tribune/Southtown and every highlight I've seen this spring which has shown him at times throwing over 90). Oh and Ozzie has always been the type of manager that kisses a players ass and follows the company line, oh wait, last I remember he has at many times ripped the s*** out of guys (including Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens at times last year who he called too scared to play in the majors).

I'm honestly sick and tired of the negative nancy bulls*** and when the season starts I'm just going to start one massive thread to keep stupid whining to (cause I know at times we all need to whine and b**** and get crap out cause all of us are very passionate about this squad).

Its one thing when we want to discuss a players skillset and make projections, but its another when I have to see a new thread every time someone has one bad day (especially in the case of guys like Konerko/Dye, etc who have proven themselves to be pretty freaking good players throughout there career).

I couldn't agree more, he's only been with us for a short time and still has pretty good stuff. I give him the first half of the season to figure things out. If he doesn't do it by then put him on waivers but I'm not ready to crucify him for one bad start, he's our #5 starter for better or worse, might as well support him

QUOTE(Want2Repeat @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Floyd - 6.55 ERA and 6/5 K/BB ratio in 11 innings. Two wild pitches today.

11 innings, then. Over the course of 11 full innings in spring training, those stats don't look good.

Johan Santana last year put up an ERA of 6.39 over a stretch of 12 2/3 innings in July last year. That's right, not only was it the regular season, but Santana's rough spell lasted 15% longer. I'm just glad we have Floyd instead of Santana because of what these stats are telling me.

Either way, at least we have Jerry Owens' .429 batting average to fall back on.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 01:28 AM)
11 innings, then. Over the course of 11 full innings in spring training, those stats don't look good.

Johan Santana last year put up an ERA of 6.39 over a stretch of 12 2/3 innings in July last year. That's right, not only was it the regular season, but Santana's rough spell lasted 15% longer. I'm just glad we have Floyd instead of Santana because of what these stats are telling me.

Either way, at least we have Jerry Owens' .429 batting average to fall back on.

Hey, Pods has a .529 OBP with Colorado this spring....

Regarding Jason being 'pissed', well if I am reading him right it's not so much about this incident with Floyd having a bad day and getting ripped for it. It's about the constant, neverending b****ing and moaning that seems to go on ih here. I know I've had to take a few extended breaks from Soxtalk because of it. It gets old and it gets old fast. Jason wants Soxtalk to better than that. It seems like some people are just mad at the world and have chosen Soxtalk as their own personal venting place. Aren't we lucky? I mean if you are going to sit down at your computer with your fangs bared, well personally I'd rather you didn't. But hey, that's just me.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 03:24 AM)
Regarding Jason being 'pissed', well if I am reading him right it's not so much about this incident with Floyd having a bad day and getting ripped for it. It's about the constant, neverending b****ing and moaning that seems to go on ih here. I know I've had to take a few extended breaks from Soxtalk because of it. It gets old and it gets old fast. Jason wants Soxtalk to better than that. It seems like some people are just mad at the world and have chosen Soxtalk as their own personal venting place. Aren't we lucky? I mean if you are going to sit down at your computer with your fangs bared, well personally I'd rather you didn't. But hey, that's just me.

Except for October of 2005, thats how it's ALWAYS been on Soxtalk.

Why do you think I rarely post anymore except in the SLaM board? It's f***ing annoying....

Well we're trying to improve on that, but it's going to be a collective effort.

We'll probably be creating a negative thread, so if you have to vent, just do it in there I guess.

Of course we're all not going to be 100% happy with how things are, but I do think it has gone overboard in recent seasons to the detriment of the site.

QUOTE(Cali @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 05:24 AM)
Except for October of 2005, thats how it's ALWAYS been on Soxtalk.

Why do you think I rarely post anymore except in the SLaM board? It's f***ing annoying....

To a certain extent there has always been a level of negativity on Soxtalk. It seems more vicious and more pronounced since October of '05. I agree with your last sentence 100%.

It finally hit me why I feel like we have done this before...

Gavin Floyd=Jon Garland

Yup. Their histories are so similar, it is scary. Both were very high draft picks who supposedly had mid to high 90's stuff, with a HUGE curveball. They both seemed to lose a decent amount of their stuff on their trip through the minors and beginning in the majors. They both were highly disappointed on their initial trips to the bigs, to the point of both players being traded early in their careers (remember the Garland/Erstad deal that Disney nixed?). They both suffered huge confidence problems after both their stuff and preformances had big disappointments. Finally both became huge targets for their fan bases.

We might as well have the Floyd "Fan" Club start calling him "Judy" and get it over with.

The one thing that gives me faith about Floyd is how well this regime did with Garland, who was a bust under the Manuel group. They really broke him down and rebuilt him into a very good pitcher. Garland was a guy who you didn't build a rotation around, but you also knew you were going to get solid stats and preformances from, and you could spend your time worrying about other problems.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 04:48 AM)
To a certain extent there has always been a level of negativity on Soxtalk. It seems more vicious and more pronounced since October of '05. I agree with your last sentence 100%.

It's not a whole lot of fun to discuss sports with people who are, and, will seemingly NEVER, be satisfied with the product.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)

Gavin Floyd=Jon Garland

Yup. Their histories are so similar, it is scary. Both were very high draft picks who supposedly had mid to high 90's stuff, with a HUGE curveball. They both seemed to lose a decent amount of their stuff on their trip through the minors and beginning in the majors. They both were highly disappointed on their initial trips to the bigs, to the point of both players being traded early in their careers (remember the Garland/Erstad deal that Disney nixed?). They both suffered huge confidence problems after both their stuff and preformances had big disappointments. Finally both became huge targets for their fan bases.

We might as well have the Floyd "Fan" Club start calling him "Judy" and get it over with.

The one thing that gives me faith about Floyd is how well this regime did with Garland, who was a bust under the Manuel group. They really broke him down and rebuilt him into a very good pitcher. Garland was a guy who you didn't build a rotation around, but you also knew you were going to get solid stats and preformances from, and you could spend your time worrying about other problems.

Great synopsis of Garland. Great post.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
:lolhitting Somebody tell me again how Mariotti sucks? I felt like I just read one of his columns, only poorly written and without much entertainment value.

Im confused. That is the same as reading a Mariotti column

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)

Gavin Floyd=Jon Garland

only thing is, Jon pitched consistently, if not spectacularly, every single year from the time he was 20 years old with the big club. I'd say thats a pretty stark difference between the two.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)

Gavin Floyd=Jon Garland

Could this be said for any young underachieving player? Anderson, etc.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)

Also, they can just start calling him "Pink". lol

Edited by RME JICO

I must be a homer but for some reason I expect good/avg years out of Contreras, Floyd, and Danks. I havent even watched a spring training game as of yet and I dont care if he gives up 20 runs in one inning. Isnt it pretty much common knowledge a lot of times pitchers will go in games working heavily on one pitch in which case they are obviously going to get rocked?

Even if you are working mainly on one pitch, which he wasn't, you should be showing good command of it. Yesterday Floyd threw almost as many balls as he did strikes. Even when he was in the zone, he was missing his spots too often and getting hit hard. I'm a big fan of Floyd but yesterday's start was frustrating for me to watch.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Even if you are working mainly on one pitch, which he wasn't, you should be showing good command of it. Yesterday Floyd threw almost as many balls as he did strikes. Even when he was in the zone, he was missing his spots too often and getting hit hard. I'm a big fan of Floyd but yesterday's start was frustrating for me to watch.

Yet Dan Haren had almost as much trouble in the rainy 40 degree weather. Floyd was also working on his fastball and getting a rythmn. He didnt start throwing in his 2 kinds of curveballs heavily until his last inning, consequently his best.

89 mph fastballs with no location = improved. It's going to be a long season with this 3-4-5 in our rotation.

The question is ... what's our middle relief looking like?

With this lousy 3-4-5, our only hope is going to be reliable, durable

middle relief to go with much improved hitting.

If we hit like last year and have lousy relief, we might have one of the worst

teams in Sox history.

If we get great (not good) middle relief and hit, we'll be a contender for wild card.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
John Snyder was 9-12 with a 6.68 ERA in 1999. I think he started out 7-0.

Yep. IIRC, he out-dueled an in-his-prime Pedro early that year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
Garland was incredibly streaky during the course of his seasons. He would get on incredible tears, and then there would be months where he just got killed. His first year in the majors looks like something out of Floyds stat line in 70 IP.

True dat. Jon took forever to develop.

People need to stop getting their nuts in a twist about Floyd having a bad ST game. Dude doesn't even have 180 innings of ML service yet. If he doesn't pan out this year, then I agree that it'll probably be time to look at other options. But at least give the guy a chance.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
LMAO at RotoWorld.

Gavin Floyd surrendered five runs -- four earned -- in four innings Sunday in a no-decision versus the Diamondbacks.

The White Sox have been raving about Floyd, and it's easy to see why, given his sparkling 6.55 ERA and 6/5 K/BB ratio in 11 innings. Plus, he only threw two wild pitches today. Is it any wonder he's been promised a rotation spot?

From the Sun-Times:

''It's definitely now,'' Floyd responded, when asked about the last time in his career he felt this confident. ''It didn't really show out there, but nobody else except myself knows exactly how good I feel, how natural I feel. It took me awhile to get back to that, especially because I felt like I was pitching in [another body] for a couple of years. Mechanically, I wasn't right, and I've finally put it all together.

''That's definitely a confidence booster. I didn't pitch the greatest [sunday], but I'm still feeling great. Just going to put it behind me and keep working on everything I've been working on.''

As it stands, Floyd and his 6.55 Cactus League ERA are projected for the No. 5 spot in the rotation.

I know, I know -- "Spring Training ERAs don't mean anything!" but...