Gavin Floyd

joejoesox

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
From the Sun-Times:

[/b]

I know, I know -- "Spring Training ERAs don't mean anything!" but...

He's talking about how he has his mechanics figured out, and Hawk was talking about what happens when his mechanics get out of whack and they were out of whack yesterday according to Hawk.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to panic just because a pitcher or hitter has one bad outing or even several in ST. I am more interested in what they are doing to improve and what they are working on such as a new pitch, or location or a new arm angle, etc. I would trust our coaching staff on this issue and feel pretty good entering the season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
Garland was incredibly streaky during the course of his seasons. He would get on incredible tears, and then there would be months where he just got killed. His first year in the majors looks like something out of Floyds stat line in 70 IP.

We could sit here and toss out player after player who started slow in the mlb and got better. And it would be countered by 100 more that started slow and got worse from there. They all can't be Buehrle who started fast and kind of stayed there.

My default is the guy is going to do well. He's on the Sox and I just would rather enjoy being an optimist until proven other wise. But I guess some people enjoy a good, "I told you he sucked".

I have adopted a "sucks until further notice" type approach. As of now, Danks and Floyd suck something fierce. I can't put into words how much they suck.

I might get heated if these guys had extraordinary tools and people just s*** all over them like they were completely worthless, but that's not the case here, is it? In the long term, Danks and Floyd are competent middle-of-the-rotation pitchers at best, correct? If there is no spectacular upside to speak of, you've gotta let the negative opinions slide. I'm not bothered by threads like these at all.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
I must be a homer but for some reason I expect good/avg years out of Contreras, Floyd, and Danks. I havent even watched a spring training game as of yet and I dont care if he gives up 20 runs in one inning. Isnt it pretty much common knowledge a lot of times pitchers will go in games working heavily on one pitch in which case they are obviously going to get rocked?

To me that's just very unrealistic. I hope like hell you're right but the odds of all 3 of them succeeding is quite low.

I really don't understand in all of this Floyd hate why Owens is getting a free pass after coasting and flopping around in CF yesterday.

Having your CF playing like a rookie out there doesn't exactly help a guys confidence. Before anyone says it, I know that it was a wet field and damp weather. If Floyd can't use that excuse neither should Owens.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
only thing is, Jon pitched consistently, if not spectacularly, every single year from the time he was 20 years old with the big club. I'd say thats a pretty stark difference between the two.

I'd agree. I could see the minor league comparisons, but Jon Garland had mild success in the major leagues for a good number of years. People would argue that he didn't live up to his hype and be dissapointed he didn't do better, but he was a league average pitcher at a very young age.

Gavin Floyd had spent parts of 3 seasons in the majors and has yet to have a league average season or anything close to such. Prior to entering the majors, Floyd like Garland was a young prospect who was ranked amongst one of the very best prospects in the game though.

If Floyd posts the type of seasons Garland had during his early 20's, I'd be exstatic but he has yet to show that he is capable of doing anything of the such (however, I believe he has the stuff to do it, but again, he's had 3 years with semi major league time and has only gotten worse). Jon was busy throwing 200 inning seasons posting above league average ERA's.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
I'd agree. I could see the minor league comparisons, but Jon Garland had mild success in the major leagues for a good number of years. People would argue that he didn't live up to his hype and be dissapointed he didn't do better, but he was a league average pitcher at a very young age.

Gavin Floyd had spent parts of 3 seasons in the majors and has yet to have a league average season or anything close to such. Prior to entering the majors, Floyd like Garland was a young prospect who was ranked amongst one of the very best prospects in the game though.

If Floyd posts the type of seasons Garland had during his early 20's, I'd be exstatic but he has yet to show that he is capable of doing anything of the such (however, I believe he has the stuff to do it, but again, he's had 3 years with semi major league time and has only gotten worse). Jon was busy throwing 200 inning seasons posting above league average ERA's.

This is probably Floyd's last shot. Either he finally lives up to his potential or he dies off like so many others.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
This is probably Floyd's last shot. Either he finally lives up to his potential or he dies off like so many others.

This is probably his last shot with the Sox. Someone will still sign him to a minor league deal if we're forced to let him go and he'll be considered a 6th or 7th option if someone gets hurt or implodes.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
This is probably his last shot with the Sox. Someone will still sign him to a minor league deal if we're forced to let him go and he'll be considered a 6th or 7th option if someone gets hurt or implodes.

And/or someone will be able to "fix" him.

I actually think the Sox have fixed Gavin, but we will see if that is the case. He has done nothing but improve since coming to the Sox. That doesn't mean he is as good as he was when he first came up in Philly (he was nasty than and than obviously had issues that got in his way, both mental and mechanical and he lost his stuff). Since coming to Chicago he has continued to make strides and has regained a lot of his stuff and definitely regained his confidence (I hate reading quotes and taking too much into them, but you can flat out see that this kid is confident for the first time in a long time and being confident on the mound goes a long long way).

Gavin is clearly no sure thing and my problem with the Sox is that they have 3 mysteries in the rotation and didn't come up with any backup plans (although I am well aware of Broadway/Egbert as being other options, but I'm not sure that is the correct answer for a team that is considering themselves a playoff contender). However, I am thinking he'll have a solid season, but again, that is based on my optimism for his ability and the strides he made last year and projecting him to continue to make such strides again this year (and there is absolutely no guarantee that happens).