83 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start?

• Juan Uribe
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • Danny Richar
    • Pablo Ozuna

Have to find out what is his best position

Develop him at AAA for that position

UNLESS - you figure out early he's simply not solid defensively, and wont be, and then in that case...consider him as a super-sub even in the present. If his ceiling is a better hitting Ozuna, figure on him being a sub going onward...and maybe he gets time the second half of the year to be a starter, but if so it's gravy.

I mean.... all this is tough to say considering how bad Uribe can be.... but i flipflop because i forget that it is Richar's turn, once he's healthy. And that's not a turn that hasnt been earned, by the way. He's projecting to be a decent hitter and good fielder, from what we've seen.

Edited by Princess Dye

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
Have to find out what is his best position

Develop him at AAA for that position

UNLESS - you figure out early he's simply not solid defensively, and wont be, and then in that case...consider him as a super-sub even in the present. If his ceiling is a better hitting Ozuna, figure on him being a sub going onward...and maybe he gets time the second half of the year to be a starter, but if so it's gravy.

I mean.... all this is tough to say considering how bad Uribe can be.... but i flipflop because i forget that it is Richar's turn, once he's healthy. And that's not a turn that hasnt been earned, by the way. He's projecting to be a decent hitter and good fielder, from what we've seen.

I think everyone is way too high on Ramirez's bat right now for them to plan on him being a super-sub.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
I am going to go out onto a limb and predict that if Ramirez gets a spot and plays a lot, he will become quickly one of the most hated players on the team. Sloppy defense and a guy who will swing at anything sounds like a guy who has a Soxtalk target on his back.

Well, don't get me wrong, I am not saying he is this talented yet....but that sounds quite a bit like the player Ramirez is often compared with....(who happens to play for the team on the North Side...)

Trade Konerko, Crede, Uribe and Richar to the LA Angels for Kendrick, Adenhardt and a B prospect...problem solved. Stick Swisher at first. Platoon CF/LF with Owens, BA and Ramirez. Kendrick is your 2B. If Swish needs a day off, put Kendrick at first and let Ramirez or Ozuna handle 2B. It would be nice to have a future rotation with Adenhardt, Poreda, Danks, Floyd (if he truly has figured it out) and Buehrle/Vasquez.

For the Angels, Crede/Uribe hold down the fort until Wood is ready for 3B or SS. Aybar can take over if Wood settles in at 3rd. Richar replaces Kendrick and Aybar can handle 2B too if Richar is hurt early on. Konerko will be primarily a DH but can spell Kotchman at 1B. That allows them to keep Garrett Anderson in LF and use G. Mattews Jr. as a 4th OF/late innning defensive replacement (expensive but no one will take his contract).

QUOTE(heirdog @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
Trade Konerko, Crede, Uribe and Richar to the LA Angels for Kendrick, Adenhardt and a B prospect...problem solved. Stick Swisher at first. Platoon CF/LF with Owens, BA and Ramirez. Kendrick is your 2B. If Swish needs a day off, put Kendrick at first and let Ramirez or Ozuna handle 2B. It would be nice to have a future rotation with Adenhardt, Poreda, Danks, Floyd (if he truly has figured it out) and Buehrle/Vasquez.

For the Angels, Crede/Uribe hold down the fort until Wood is ready for 3B or SS. Aybar can take over if Wood settles in at 3rd. Richar replaces Kendrick and Aybar can handle 2B too if Richar is hurt early on. Konerko will be primarily a DH but can spell Kotchman at 1B. That allows them to keep Garrett Anderson in LF and use G. Mattews Jr. as a 4th OF/late innning defensive replacement (expensive but no one will take his contract).

The Angels are, sadly, not nearly that dumb.

I was watching the Nats/Tigers game today and they had Peter Gammons on talking about a plethora of things, one of those being spring position battles throughout the league he says he thinks it'll be Lexi....He seems to have pretty good speed, if Owens isn't our CF would Lexi be an option for the lead off position or do you guys think it'd be to much pressure??

1-Lexi

2-Cabrera

3-Swish

4-Thome

5-Kong

6-Dye

7-Fields or Crede

8-AJP

9-Anderson or Quentin

i dig it

The problem with Lexi is that while he may be hitting well, he's universally being described as very aggressive, going after the first pitch or so, etc. Probably not very patient. Not exactly the kind of thing you want from a leadoff hitter in that quality. Even when he was struggling, one good thing about Podsednik was that you could always count on him to take a few pitches to give the other guy sa chance to see the pitcher early and to work the count a bit.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
I was watching the Nats/Tigers game today and they had Peter Gammons on talking about a plethora of things, one of those being spring position battles throughout the league he says he thinks it'll be Lexi....He seems to have pretty good speed, if Owens isn't our CF would Lexi be an option for the lead off position or do you guys think it'd be to much pressure??

1-Lexi

2-Cabrera

3-Swish

4-Thome

5-Kong

6-Dye

7-Fields or Crede

8-AJP

9-Anderson or Quentin

i dig it

I'm just guessing here, but I think that you're probably going to want a guy with a stronger OBP to leadoff. That doesn't mean they think that way though...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Which would mean to me that we traded Garland to: Save a couple million $, get an extra late first/early 2nd round pick, and clear space to give our young pitchers a solid tryout. I think all of those are positive things.

And have an improved bat and defense at ss, a base stealer, and the leadership and intangibles Orlando brings.

Uribe will likely start the season at 2b. And he will be on a short leash. Dont be suprised if start the season with Crede-Cabrera-Uribe in the infield to start the opener. Its kind of funny with all the Uribe/Crede being traded talk that has happend. I think the 25 man roster is set.

Starters

Owens CF

Cabrera SS

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Swisher LF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3b

Uribe SS

Starting Rotation

Buerhle, Vazquez, Danks, Contreras, Floyd

Bullpen

Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Thorton, Wasserman, Macdougal, Masset

Bench

Ozuna, Ramirez, Anderson, Hall

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Re: second base. Platoon. That's my wish, and I doubt it will happen.

Richar/Uribe with Ramirez at AAA. Trade Uribe at some point and bring up Sex Ram.

I'd platoon Richar/Ozuna with Ramirez in AAA (getting lots of ABs and learning how to hit offspeed pitches)...

and Uribe in Baltimore (or somewhere... anywhere... other than Chicago).

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Uribe will likely start the season at 2b. And he will be on a short leash. Dont be suprised if start the season with Crede-Cabrera-Uribe in the infield to start the opener. Its kind of funny with all the Uribe/Crede being traded talk that has happend. I think the 25 man roster is set.

Starters

Owens CF

Cabrera SS

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Swisher LF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3b

Uribe SS

Starting Rotation

Buerhle, Vazquez, Danks, Contreras, Floyd

Bullpen

Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Thorton, Wasserman, Macdougal, Masset

Bench

Ozuna, Ramirez, Anderson, Hall

In an interview i heard with Don Cooper during a game the other day he made it sound like Logan was pretty much a lock for a bullpen spot, so i wouldnt say your roster is set.

Unless there is a trade, I think the pitching staff is set:

Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Contreras, Floyd

Masset, MacDougal, Logan, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Jenks

Wassermann and Ohka fall just short, but they'll be needed this year.

QUOTE(flavum @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Unless there is a trade, I think the pitching staff is set:

Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Contreras, Floyd

Masset, MacDougal, Logan, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Jenks

Wassermann and Ohka fall just short, but they'll be needed this year.

If at any point we need Tomo Ohka, it's going to be a very, very long season.

I am not sure what is confusing about that statement. The way they talk its seems like its Masset's job to lose, and imo, he lost it last year. Wasserman, from what they were saying saturday would be the guy to step up and take the long relief role. I am tired of seeing masset out there. He sucks. He sucked at every level in his career. I don't understand the attraction to him. I fully realize he is out of options, but who cares? He sucks.