Crede likely to start on opening day

DBAHO

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Well this thread is just ugly as hell.

After last season ended, there were only two players on the team who should have been locks to be on the 2008 White Sox. Buehrle and Fields...it just baffles my mind that it's possible Fields won't be with the big league club.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After last season ended, there were only two players on the team who should have been locks to be on the 2008 White Sox. Buehrle and Fields...it just baffles my mind that it's possible Fields won't be with the big league club.

Wow. Hate to burst your bubble but Fields is the next coming of a poor man's Adam Dunne.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
Who is Adam Dunne? He's not showing up on baseball reference.

Did you see Spiderman 3, and the scene where the sandman is born by falling in to a radioactive experiment? Well, Adam Dunn was walking along one day, fell into a gigantic hole, and had his body somehow merged with a bunch of sand. He became our nations newest member of the super powers club...Adam "Dunne", as in a Sand Dune. The only question is whether or not he'll use his powers for good or ill. Basically it depends on whether or not he winds up with the Yankees.

Every day somoene is saying Crede is going to be traded very soon. It hasn't happened yet, there's no reason to wait for it to happen. If it's going to happen, it'll happen, then Fields will be the 3rd baseman. I'm still angry that Fields isn't going to play left field. This team would lack the speed having both Crede and Fields in the lineup but the lineup could've looked like this. I don't mind Crede being here, I understand that Fields needs to be here now. But I don't want to see KW trade Crede for players that aren't, or won't amount to anything.

Swisher CF

Cabrera SS

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Crede 3B

Fields LF

Pierzynski C

Uribe 2B

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Did you see Spiderman 3, and the scene where the sandman is born by falling in to a radioactive experiment? Well, Adam Dunn was walking along one day, fell into a gigantic hole, and had his body somehow merged with a bunch of sand. He became our nations newest member of the super powers club...Adam "Dunne", as in a Sand Dune. The only question is whether or not he'll use his powers for good or ill. Basically it depends on whether or not he winds up with the Yankees.

I saw Spiderman 3, but I saw it in theaters. I'm assuming this scene you refer to was one of the deleted scenes that shows up on the DVD edition, so no I haven't seen that part. :(

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
We used all of our prospects to try and field a good MLB team, and as of right now, there's still a lot of holes on the team (starting rotation, CF, 2nd base, back-up catcher).

I like how having too many players at a given position is a "hole."

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)
It's not bobbles and overthrows, it's turning the tough DP or laying out to make the play down the line. Those are the intangibles that don't show up in the stat book but change the outcome of a game/season.

Grinderish intangibles?

Crede's bat will lose you more games than Fields defense.

Grinderish intangibles?

Crede's bat will lose you more games than Fields defense.

Yeah I remember when Fields hit 30HR and 90RBI's in '06...Ohhh wait that was Crede...Fields and his 125 K's in 400AB's helped the Sox win a lot of games in '07.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Yeah I remember when Fields hit 30HR and 90RBI's in '06...Ohhh wait that was Crede...Fields and his 125 K's in 400AB's helped the Sox win a lot of games in '07.

SO, you are banking on Crede performing as he did in an outlier year? Hmmm, math, statistics, common sense, out the door.

I DO recall Joe Crede's .252 .303 2005 and his .239 .299 in 2004, maybe I should remember his .259 .305 career numbers?

Josh's rookie "full time campaign" in 373 ab's put up basically the same numbers as Crede has his whole career, while slugging better and hitting HR's at a better rate. oh and he showed he can walk at a higher rate too.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Yeah I remember when Fields hit 30HR and 90RBI's in '06...Ohhh wait that was Crede...

Fields was in AAA developing in 2006 first of all, and you just made a very bad point for your argument. Crede had 30 HR's and 96 RBI's in his best full year of his life, a full year he will never repeat and might not approach. Last year, Josh Fields had 23 HR and 67 RBI's in 100 games, and he only started about 85 of them I'd guess. With experience, Fields average year will easily surpass (especially in other more important stats like on base and especially slugging) Crede's best year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
SO, you are banking on Crede performing as he did in an outlier year? Hmmm, math, statistics, common sense, out the door.

I'm a Crede supporter but even I can't deny the numbers Fields put up in 100 games and only 373 at bats. 23 home runs and 67 RBI's is damn good. The .244 avg isn't, but Crede only has a career .259 avg.

Not denying Fields will probably one day become a 40HR, 100RBI guy who k's 150+ per season and carries about a .330OBP. But he should ultimately become a first baseman. He is not better then Crede now, so Crede will start in '08. It's simple. If Crede is on the team he will start.