Crede likely to start on opening day

DBAHO

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 01:32 AM)
oh come on, are you being serious about that pop up? That ball was in no-man's land. You can't blame anyone for that.

Oh come on. Ramirez should have made that play. He overran the ball. It should have been caught and he never even got leather on it.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
Oh come on. Ramirez should have made that play. He overran the ball. It should have been caught and he never even got leather on it.

Remember early last year in Detroit when Uribe called off everyone to catch a pop up and then let it fall in front of him and allow 2 earned runs to score off Danks? Thinking about that makes me laugh out loud now but at the time I was in danger of breaking my brand-new flat screen.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)

Could the play have been made, probably. But running full speed and trying to stop all your momentum and catch that ball (which the wind effected as well) is not an easy play at all. So, I do not blame Ramirez for those 2 runs, nor would I blame any other 2B for those two runs if they couldn't come up with the ball.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
Could the play have been made, probably. But running full speed and trying to stop all your momentum and catch that ball (which the wind effected as well) is not an easy play at all. So, I do not blame Ramirez for those 2 runs, nor would I blame any other 2B for those two runs if they couldn't come up with the ball.

What if it would have been one of your whipping boys? Would you have been so understanding? I am very pleased with what Ramirez has shown so far, but defensively he leaves a lot to be desired. The play should have been made.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
What if it would have been one of your whipping boys? Would you have been so understanding? I am very pleased with what Ramirez has shown so far, but defensively he leaves a lot to be desired. The play should have been made.

It's a tough play. I'm not gonna chew someone out who couldn't make a tough play, whether I like them or not.

It was a tough play, and Ramirez should be the last one blamed for those 2 runs that scored. He gave it all and couldn't come up with it.

Defensively, Ramirez has been fine this spring.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
I wonder how many fans on here will actually give Crede a standing O on opening day?

Um. I will, regardless of how bad KW has managed s*** that doesn't mean I have to start hating Joe Crede. I'd rather see Fields in there but I'll root for whomever the Sox put out there.

Unless his name is Juan Uribe.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
It's a tough play. I'm not gonna chew someone out who couldn't make a tough play, whether I like them or not.

It was a tough play, and Ramirez should be the last one blamed for those 2 runs that scored. He gave it all and couldn't come up with it.

I'm not chewing him out. But that play needs to be made when you are a major league ballplayer. It's ST so it doesn't matter. But that is my opinion, regardless.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)

I didn't see that play, but I'm going to have to disagree on this point. I like Ramirez a lot, and I think he'll be a great presence on the club... but there is no doubt in my mind his defense needs a fair amount of work. There is a lot of talent there, but he's inconsistent to say the least.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 04:08 AM)
I'm not reading this entire thread, but it's been sitting here for a while. A few thoughts...

1) If Crede is traded, I imagine it will be for someone who is serviceable. Not good, probably not mediocre, but someone who will do something for the Sox. Cheat mentioned Eugenio Velez on his blog a couple weeks ago, and I could see that as a distinct possibility.

2) Fields spending time in AAA wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for his development; the kid can't hit a meat fastball yet, so spending some time in AAA working on hitting those wouldn't hurt. In fact, it might be a good thing, and he might develop a bit of plate recognition, hit .270, and walk 70-80 times a year. If he does that, he's an All Star.

3) Fields will likely be called up for 15-20 games or so before June, so it's not like he'd spend all year in AAA. He'll almost assuredly get 200-300 PAs this year, because really, if Crede or Thome goes down, Fields will be the first called up and both of those scenarios are very, very likely. It's also likely Crede will be traded before July, so that would increase his PAs.

4) The old saying goes that you can't win the division in April, but you can lose it. I see Crede as a potential piece that could lose the division for the Sox, especially if he comes out of the gate and hits .210 again. I don't see why that's not a possibility.

3B should really be dictated by how the Sox feel Crede is; if they think he can hit even .260 with modest power and 95% of his defensive range, the job should be his. If he can't do all of that, they should trade him for what they can get and have Fields be the 3Bman. As much as it sucks for me to say this, as I want Josh starting, it is entirely up to Crede as to whether or not he's the starting 3Bman come opening day, and Josh Fields can no longer do anything to force the issue.

Nicely said wsf...pretty much sums up how I feel as well. As much as I'd like to see Joe do well for the team's sake...that's how you have to look at it...what's best for the team in the long run and if sending Josh down to work on his D as well as hitting fastballs and he improves...it's all good in the long run since he's the 3B of the future for this team. My personal choice though would have been JF at the corner. If Joe's not producing at the plate...this team will need all the offensive support it can get and Josh is a better fit.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Nicely said wsf...pretty much sums up how I feel as well. As much as I'd like to see Joe do well for the team's sake...that's how you have to look at it...what's best for the team in the long run and if sending Josh down to work on his D as well as hitting fastballs and he improves...it's all good in the long run since he's the 3B of the future for this team. My personal choice though would have been JF at the corner. If Joe's not producing at the plate...this team will need all the offensive support it can get and Josh is a better fit.

He will be a master of crushing 90 to 91 mph fastballs that are featured in the International League. However when he faces a guy throwing 94 to 95 in the American League he will have a problem still catching up. If anyone thinks that he will learn a whole bunch facing Felix Diaz, Phillips and company down in AAA they have another thing coming.