Juan Uribe Placed on Waivers

flavum

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
I totally forgot about Ellis. I'm starting to think that is a MUCH more likely than getting Roberts. In fact, I would not even want Roberts if it means losing Fields/Danks/Poreda/Jenks or any of those good young players we actually have.

Swish knows Ellis, probably threw in a good word.

And it would continue the A's as White Sox West.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
Flash, what offers have you heard for Roberts? I really haven't heard any other than the Cubs rumored one.

I haven't heard any if they're out there. I was basing my post on the same Cubs rumor you read. To beat theirs, Jenks, Danks or Fields would have to be the centerpiece of any deal.

Personally, I'd rather accept whatever Richar/Ramirez give us than trade for Roberts.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Yeah, something's up.

Fields was just pulled in the 1st inning of today's game for a pinch runner.

No way the Sox trade Fields...

at least, I don't think so...

OK, maybe they will...

DAMN YOU KENNY!!!

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Interestingly enough, I just meandered over to the O's board and their fanbase seems absolutely in favor of picking him up...(not that it's their decision).

For the most part, yes. Some would prefer to wait to see if he makes it through waivers. Obviously, I hope they do, but if I was them I'd prefer to use the 4 mil to sign someone overslot, to toss onto the pile they'll have ready for Teixeira, whatever. We'll see.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
For the most part, yes. Some would prefer to wait to see if he makes it through waivers. Obviously, I hope they do, but if I was them I'd prefer to use the 4 mil to sign someone overslot, to toss onto the pile they'll have ready for Teixeira, whatever. We'll see.

Well, from what I saw (not sure if we are both looking at the same board), but they are actually worried he won't fall to them...

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Let's see.

Uribe can be 2B, SS, 3B...

Cincinnati (SS), San Francisco (3B), Los Angeles (3B), Washington (2B?/SS?), Baltimore (2B/SS), Houston (SS?), Cubs (2B?).

Am I missing anyone?

cubs need a SS not a 2B. DeRosa is better than Uribe.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
I have been advocating Fields as a centerpiece for a Roberts deal. Even if Crede walks at the end of the year, you still have Ramirez who could probably play 3rd if you re-sign Cabrera. With Roberts leading off, the Sox line-up becomes as good as its ever been.

Better.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
Well, from what I saw (not sure if we are both looking at the same board), but they are actually worried he won't fall to them...

Yeah, most are. I agree, the consensus there is to pick him up. One guy asked what they could do if he fell through waivers, another claimed (incorrectly) that by claiming him they'd only have to pay the minimum while the Sox would have to cover the rest. So, some doubt, but you're right, most want him.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
I haven't heard any if they're out there. I was basing my post on the same Cubs rumor you read. To beat theirs, Jenks, Danks or Fields would have to be the centerpiece of any deal.

Personally, I'd rather accept whatever Richar/Ramirez give us than trade for Roberts.

To beat an offer of Gallagher, Cedeno and Murton? Jenks and Danks would both be too much to be a centerpiece. The cubs are offering two players that cant make their own team in the worst division in baseball and a future 5th starter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
I think we stickied the Dotel signing thread about 2 weeks before it actually happened and had to drop it off.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
It can be unstickied.

Colon was.

Should've been green, sorry.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
To beat an offer of Gallagher, Cedeno and Murton? Jenks and Danks would both be too much to be a centerpiece. The cubs are offering two players that cant make their own team in the worst division in baseball and a future 5th starter.

supposedly the problem was that wasn't enough. It appears it will take a stronger offer than that

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
The team has 10 days to trade him or for another team to claim him off of the waiver wire and agree to pick up his contract as written. If that doesn't happen, the Sox are on the hook for the full price for this year.

You can guess how many GM's would be happy to pick up that contract right now if they expect they can sign Uribe for a lot less 10 days from now. Probably the only shot is to trade Uribe for a fringe minor leaguer somewhere and hope that we can talk a team into paying 1/2 of his salary in exchange for first dibs at him.

Thanks for posting something informative instead of just complaining.

Edit: worse, b****ing about spending money that isn't even theirs

Edited by max power

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)

WAAAY too much. Bobby's not going anywhere IMO. You don't think they'd be interested in Thornton, Loogy or MacD...especially with the garbabe they've named as their closer. I'm still curious though why Roberts is held in such high esteem. I understand he's a very good player and all...but to ask a ridiculous amount means they aren't serious about trading him.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
WAAAY too much. Bobby's not going anywhere IMO. You don't think they'd be interested in Thornton, Loogy or MacD...especially with the garbabe they've named as their closer. I'm still curious though why Roberts is held in such high esteem. I understand he's a very good player and all...but to ask a ridiculous amount means they aren't serious about trading him.

Well, the Cubs have been low-balling them and then releasing false information about their offer in the papers and rumor mills to get both cubs papers and O's fans excited, while McPhail knows the quality of the cubs players and knows he can get more, and Angelos wants to make sure they get enough for one of his favorite players.